Simple networking question for BDE Paradox

I have a simple Delphi 3.0 application using Paradox.  I am trying to make
this multi-user over a two or three workstion LAN.

What settings do I need to make to the BDE engine, and other components?

Right now it looks like each application is grabbing a copy of the database,
caching all updates until the application closes.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Please respond to Cannon_M...@emc.com

Thanks!
Mike Cannon
Cannon_M...@emc.com

Re:Simple networking question for BDE Paradox

A couple of things to watch out for:

1) The settings in the BDE administrator for Paradox tables has a property
NetDir.  These need to be pointing to the same physical drive and have the same
logical path (so the default c:\ will not work, neither will one user having
F:\Apps and the other having G:\Software\Apps when F: is the same as
G:\Software).  Each user needs full access to this drive

2) I highly recommend setting the LocalShare property to true on each machine.
This saves lots of headaches due to data corruption

3) The tables should be refreshed on occasion.  This is automatically done when
you start and end a modification, but if you are only viewing data and someone
else makes a lot of changes, you will not see it.  I refresh it on a timer.
However, do not refresh it while modifying the table or any detail tables on a
Master | Detail relation.

4) Users cannot be modifying the same record at any given time

This is the most significant of anything that you will see.  If there is
anything else of importance, I am sure someone will say something

inprise wrote:
> I have a simple Delphi 3.0 application using Paradox.  I am trying to make
> this multi-user over a two or three workstion LAN.

> What settings do I need to make to the BDE engine, and other components?

> Right now it looks like each application is grabbing a copy of the database,
> caching all updates until the application closes.

> Any help would greatly be appreciated.

> Please respond to Cannon_M...@emc.com

> Thanks!
> Mike Cannon
> Cannon_M...@emc.com

Re:Simple networking question for BDE Paradox

You need to configure the BDE as described in TI247B at
www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti. That is all.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Simple networking question for BDE Paradox

> >What settings do I need to make to the BDE engine, and other components?

<<

If this is a peer-to-peer network (i.e., the data resides on one of the
three workstations), I think you may need to set "localshare" to true in the
BDE.  At least that was the case with dBASE V.  I think it may appear under
the "system" tab, in the "configuratin | system | init branch.  Try it and
see.
--
Phil Frank

Other Threads