PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Which is best?

As far as I know, there are two PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Virtual Pascal and
Speed Pascal. Does anybody know what sets them apart - except for the price
that is. Is the large price-difference justifiable based on the qualities of
the two products?

Any and all comments are highly appreciated.

Regards and TIA,

Stefan W. Christensen
Department of Materials
University of Leeds
Leeds
UK

Re:PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Which is best?

First of all, please learn to crosspost properly, rather than posting
separately to two different newsgroups.

In <666h6c$8hg_...@leeds.ac.uk>,

S.W. Christensen <MET...@leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> As far as I know, there are two PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Virtual Pascal and
> Speed Pascal. Does anybody know what sets them apart - except for the price
> that is. Is the large price-difference justifiable based on the qualities of
> the two products?

> Any and all comments are highly appreciated.

I don't know much about OS/2, VP or SP. But besides FPK Pascal which Klaus
told you about, there's also GNU Pascal <http://home.pages.de/~GNU-Pascal/>
that runs under OS/2. Both are freeware, so you can evaluate them for yourself
without spending much money first.

--
Frank Heckenbach, Erlangen, Germany
fjf@[NOSPAM.REMOVE.THIS]gmx.de

Re:PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Which is best?

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:11:02 +0000 (GMT), MET...@leeds.ac.uk (S.W.

Christensen) wrote:
>As far as I know, there are two PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Virtual Pascal and
>Speed Pascal. Does anybody know what sets them apart - except for the price
>that is. Is the large price-difference justifiable based on the qualities of
>the two products?

Don't forget TMT Pascal!
They have an os2 verison.. chck out www.tmt.com

Re:PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Which is best?

There is also a pascal-compiler for OS/2 called TMT pascal.
It's freeware, and you can get it at www.tmt.com

Re:PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Which is best?

   Hi Stefan,

   04-Dec-97 15:11:02, Quoting MET...@leeds.ac.uk to All about :

   PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Which is best?

 M> As far as I know, there are two PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Virtual Pascal
  > and Speed Pascal. Does anybody know what sets them apart - except for the

   There is also Visible Pascal which is similar to Delphi. I got it off
my Hobbes cd.

Andrew Sprott

... Pascal programmers never die, they repeat until forever.
--
andrew.spr...@crystal.dircon.co.uk
| The Crystal Tower, Enfield, London 0181-447-8244         V21-V34 |

Re:PASCAL compilers for OS/2: Which is best?

I apologize if this appears multiple times, but I seem to have some
problems with the news connection currently, and this one didn't
seem to get through when I tried to post it a few days ago...

John Berg <iv...@online.no> wrote:
> There is also a pascal-compiler for OS/2 called TMT pascal.
> It's freeware, and you can get it at www.tmt.com

No, sorry, TMT is NOT freeware, it's shareware.
There are at least two big differences:

- The obvious one: you have to pay for it if you use it longer than the
  testing period (which I wouldn't mind very much), and you can't even test
  the whole package (not the IDE) during the testing period (which I would
  mind).

- Less known, but IMHO more important: the code is not free, i.e. its source
  is not available for modification and improvement. In consequence, using
  such code would make me dependent on the mercy of a company to fix or not
  to fix known bugs, to continue the development of the code or drop it when
  they want to. After having made this bad experience with Borland, I won't
  risk this again, considering the possible problems another compiler switch
  could cause me with all the code I've written.

--
Frank Heckenbach, Erlangen, Germany
fjf@[NOSPAM.REMOVE.THIS]gmx.de
Internet links:        http://home.pages.de/~fjf/links.htm