Best Pascal Compiler for Win2K

Which Pascal compiler/ide combination do people think runs best on a Windows
2000 machine?

I've tried Turbo Pascal 7.01, Free Pascal and Virtual Pascal, and there seem
to be problems with all of them.

Thanks in adavance.

Re:Best Pascal Compiler for Win2K

In article <b424s1$1h...@phys-pa.scotland.net>, Jim Scullion wrote:
> Which Pascal compiler/ide combination do people think runs best on a Windows
> 2000 machine?

> I've tried Turbo Pascal 7.01, Free Pascal and Virtual Pascal, and there seem
> to be problems with all of them.

(note:
If you use FPC, for NT based windows (NT4/win2000/XP) use the _win32_ based
compiler, not the dos one)

These kind of questions also depend on a lot of other things:
- Do you want to do dos development?
- Do you want to do windows-console development?
- Do you want/not want 32-bit etc etc? How much memory do you need?
- What codebases do you already have?

In general, I'd advise FPC myself, but I'm biassed. The FPC IDE is probably the buggiest
of the three, but after a short while you automatically avoid the most common ones, and it
has the benefit of a large codebase.

If you do real dos only development, so not (mainly) targeted at NT systems, BP
is also an option.

I found out that there are too many quircks with NT systems to do Dos
development for.

I wouldn't use VP, unless you already know/use it, or maybe if you have OS/2
as main target. It seems to be a bit, eeuh, _dead_.

Re:Best Pascal Compiler for Win2K

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:07:07 -0000, "Jim Scullion"

<jimscull...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Which Pascal compiler/ide combination do people think runs best on a Windows
>2000 machine?

>I've tried Turbo Pascal 7.01, Free Pascal and Virtual Pascal, and there seem
>to be problems with all of them.

There's also TMT. (www.tmt.com)

Regards,
Jim
(Cheap spam protection in place: remove the 'NoSpam'
from my email ID to reply to me personally)

Re:Best Pascal Compiler for Win2K

I'd like to try it out, but the downloads section of their website isn't
working :-(

"Jim Wilson" <NoSpam!jawil...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:07:07 -0000, "Jim Scullion"
> <jimscull...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Which Pascal compiler/ide combination do people think runs best on a
Windows
> >2000 machine?

> >I've tried Turbo Pascal 7.01, Free Pascal and Virtual Pascal, and there
seem
> >to be problems with all of them.

> There's also TMT. (www.tmt.com)

> Regards,
> Jim
> (Cheap spam protection in place: remove the 'NoSpam'
> from my email ID to reply to me personally)

Re:Best Pascal Compiler for Win2K

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:27:12 -0000, "Jim Scullion"

<jimscull...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'd like to try it out, but the downloads section of their website isn't
>working :-(

Yup, it's foobared all right. Maybe you should shoot them off an
email.

Regards,
Jim
(Cheap spam protection in place: remove the 'NoSpam'
from my email ID to reply to me personally)

Re:Best Pascal Compiler for Win2K

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:55:22 -0500, Jim Wilson

<NoSpam!jawil...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:07:07 -0000, "Jim Scullion"
><jimscull...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>Which Pascal compiler/ide combination do people think runs best on a Windows
>>2000 machine?

>>I've tried Turbo Pascal 7.01, Free Pascal and Virtual Pascal, and there seem
>>to be problems with all of them.

>There's also TMT. (www.tmt.com)

>Regards,
>Jim
>(Cheap spam protection in place: remove the 'NoSpam'
>from my email ID to reply to me personally)

Prospero Extended Pascal just plain works!

Bob Schor
Pascal Enthusiast

Other Threads