Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

I posted a question on Borland's Delphi Forum asking what was going on
with this beta/non-beta stuff about the Internet Controls. Literally
they said: 'The Internet Control pack that comes with the SHIPPING
version of Delphi 2.01 is a full version with NO time bombs on it.' So,
if anybody has 2.01, can you confirm this?

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

"Hugo L. Stevens" <HLSTEV...@BSUVC.BSU.EDU> wrote:

>I posted a question on Borland's Delphi Forum asking what was going on
>with this beta/non-beta stuff about the Internet Controls. Literally
>they said: 'The Internet Control pack that comes with the SHIPPING
>version of Delphi 2.01 is a full version with NO time bombs on it.' So,
>if anybody has 2.01, can you confirm this?

Sure, anyone can.  Set your system clock to (say) september of 1997, run any app
that uses the ICP control(s) (I used a simple no-brainer Web browser using the
HTML control), and you will get a message 'THis Beta version of the ICP has
expired.'  BUT, the control APPEARS to continue to work, I did not test it
thoroughly.

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

I have the update, and the Internet Controls are not time 'bombed'.  However, I
have found them useless...since I can't get them registered on another machine
to use them...regsvr32 and all of the other suggestions failed.  I'm gonna try
to learn to interact with winsock directly..

CatYak

--

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

I have the update, and the Internet Controls are not time 'bombed'.  However, I
have found them useless...since I can't get them registered on another machine
to use them...regsvr32 and all of the other suggestions failed.  I'm gonna try
to learn to interact with winsock directly..

CatYak

--

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

I suggest you take a look at Microsoft's wininet.dll. It's far
superior to the ICP/Netmanage's components. It handles only FTP,
HTTP and Gopher, however. You can find the Pascal declarations on
Borland's Web page.

CatYak wrote:

> I have the update, and the Internet Controls are not time 'bombed'.  However, I
> have found them useless...since I can't get them registered on another machine
> to use them...regsvr32 and all of the other suggestions failed.  I'm gonna try
> to learn to interact with winsock directly..

I have the 2.01 update and they do expire if you set you system clock
ahead.

-Mark

CatYak wrote:

> I have the update, and the Internet Controls are not time 'bombed'.  However, I
> have found them useless...since I can't get them registered on another machine
> to use them...regsvr32 and all of the other suggestions failed.  I'm gonna try
> to learn to interact with winsock directly..

I have the 2.01 update and they do expire if you set you system clock
ahead.

-Mark

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

I suggest you take a look at Microsoft's wininet.dll. It's far
superior to the ICP/Netmanage's components. It handles only FTP,
HTTP and Gopher, however. You can find the Pascal declarations on
Borland's Web page.

>I have the update, and the Internet Controls are not time 'bombed'.
However, I
>have found them useless...since I can't get them registered on another
machine
>to use them...regsvr32 and all of the other suggestions failed.  I'm
gonna try
>to learn to interact with winsock directly..

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

On Compuserve Borland have posted a patch the file is NMPatch.zip in
BDelphi32 forum. Perhaps it is at their Web Site?

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 16:49:17 -0500, "Hugo L. Stevens"

In article <3241BFDD....@BSUVC.BSU.EDU>, HLSTEV...@BSUVC.BSU.EDU wrote:
>I posted a question on Borland's Delphi Forum asking what was going on
>with this beta/non-beta stuff about the Internet Controls. Literally
>they said: 'The Internet Control pack that comes with the SHIPPING
>version of Delphi 2.01 is a full version with NO time bombs on it.' So,
>if anybody has 2.01, can you confirm this?

Well, let's see.  I bought 2.0 developer, and then bought the 'free for $10
shipping' upgrade.  Here's exactly what I'm comparing to what:

On the original cd, the HDB number ends in 180, and under it is BOR 8802.

On the update cd, the HDB number ends in 182, and under it is BOR 8802.2

However, the help | about on the update cd continues to report the version as
"2.0".

The Netmanage ocx's and dll's on the update cd all contain internally, in
unicode, 'productversion 5.1.2727' and 'fileversion 5.1.2727'.  The also
contain the expiration 'time bomb'.

Netmanage's own 5.1 final beta, which was clearly labelled as a beta, was
available as a free download from Netmanage until the release of the
production version of the Newt Internet Controls.  The ocx's and dll's in the
final beta zip file all contain internally, in unicode, 'productversion
5.1.2727' and 'fileversion 5.1.2727'.  They also contain the expiration 'time
bomb'.

Borland has offered me the ability to download a 'fix' to disable the time
bomb, but has not offered me any sort of upgrade to this 'shipping version
2.01'.

This leads me to believe that either the '2.01' version is the same old thing
except with the ocx/dll patch applied, or that Borland has for some reason
decided to forego offering the improved software to those of us who purchased
the original upgrade.

I'm most curious as to the productversion of the netmanage files on this new
2.01 version.

I'm also curious as to the productversion of the netmanage files one receives
if one pays netmanage the $200 or so they want for the production product.

And, as long as I'm being curious, I suppose I could wonder if anyone who has
submitted a bug report against the ICP has heard anything.  I've submitted 2
bug reports via the borland web page, and just like the two I submitted later
against wininet.dcu, the submit responses told me I'll get email in a few
days.

Matt Thul,  t...@enter.net              alt:Thu...@tr.unisys.com
"I may still work for Unisys but I still don't speak for Unisys"

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

On 24/09/1996 02:01, in message <5274v0$...@news.enter.net>, Matt Thul

<t...@enter.net> wrote:
> In article <3241BFDD....@BSUVC.BSU.EDU>, HLSTEV...@BSUVC.BSU.EDU wrote:
> >I posted a question on Borland's Delphi Forum asking what was going on
> >with this beta/non-beta stuff about the Internet Controls. Literally
> >they said: 'The Internet Control pack that comes with the SHIPPING
> >version of Delphi 2.01 is a full version with NO time bombs on it.' So,
> >if anybody has 2.01, can you confirm this?

> However, the help | about on the update cd continues to report the version as
> "2.0".

So??? They just patched the IDE up a bit....and obviously added the ISP
Controls...no need to change the version.

> The Netmanage ocx's and dll's on the update cd all contain internally, in
> unicode, 'productversion 5.1.2727' and 'fileversion 5.1.2727'.  The also
> contain the expiration 'time bomb'.

If you apply the patch supplied by Borland, the OCX controls are upgraded to
version 5.2.2 I think. The timebomb was removed...

> Borland has offered me the ability to download a 'fix' to disable the time
> bomb, but has not offered me any sort of upgrade to this 'shipping version
> 2.01'.

Exactly...use the {*word*76}y patch!

> This leads me to believe that either the '2.01' version is the same old thing
> except with the ocx/dll patch applied, or that Borland has for some reason
> decided to forego offering the improved software to those of us who purchased
> the original upgrade.

> I'm most curious as to the productversion of the netmanage files on this new
> 2.01 version.

The product version on the Delphi CD has the last beta controls installed...if
you use the patch, the OCXs are upgraded, patched and de-timebombed.

> I'm also curious as to the productversion of the netmanage files one receives
> if one pays netmanage the $200 or so they want for the production product.

Why would you??? What for? To get a version that does the same the patched
version does?

> And, as long as I'm being curious, I suppose I could wonder if anyone who has
> submitted a bug report against the ICP has heard anything.  I've submitted 2

Why? They fixed the time-bomb problem...didn't they?

Stefan

Mark Goodwin wrote:

> Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

> CatYak wrote:

> > I have the update, and the Internet Controls are not time 'bombed'.  However, I
> > have found them useless...since I can't get them registered on another machine
> > to use them...regsvr32 and all of the other suggestions failed.  I'm gonna try
> > to learn to interact with winsock directly..

> I have the 2.01 update and they do expire if you set you system clock
> ahead.

> -Mark

There is a patch available at:

http://www.borland.com/techsupport/delphi/downloads/index.html

Hope that helps!

Joe

--
Joe C. Hecht
Borland Delphi Developer Support Group

Re:Borland says that Internet Controls are not betas!

On Tue, 24 Sep 96 00:32:17 GMT, del...@iafrica.com (Stefan Paetow

(CEO)) wrote:
>On 24/09/1996 02:01, in message <5274v0$...@news.enter.net>, Matt Thul
><t...@enter.net> wrote:

>> In article <3241BFDD....@BSUVC.BSU.EDU>, HLSTEV...@BSUVC.BSU.EDU wrote:
>> >I posted a question on Borland's Delphi Forum asking what was going on
>> >with this beta/non-beta stuff about the Internet Controls. Literally
>> >they said: 'The Internet Control pack that comes with the SHIPPING
>> >version of Delphi 2.01 is a full version with NO time bombs on it.' So,
>> >if anybody has 2.01, can you confirm this?

>> However, the help | about on the update cd continues to report the version as
>> "2.0".

>So??? They just patched the IDE up a bit....and obviously added the ISP
>Controls...no need to change the version.

Excuse me?  Apply patches?  Add software?  And ship it as the same
version number?  That's a hell of a way to treat everyone in the
company who has to provide technical support.

The original poster referenced a "SHIPPING version of Delphi 2.01".  I
ordered the upgrade and received a cd physically labelled differently
than the original version 2.0, but which claims to still be version
2.0.  How would you suggest determining if it is the same software as
what Borland appears to be calling 2.01?

>> The Netmanage ocx's and dll's on the update cd all contain internally, in
>> unicode, 'productversion 5.1.2727' and 'fileversion 5.1.2727'.  The also
>> contain the expiration 'time bomb'.

>If you apply the patch supplied by Borland, the OCX controls are upgraded to
>version 5.2.2 I think. The timebomb was removed...

Please don't speculate.  I was careful to post only verifyable
statements about version numbers.  Please do likewise.  This whole
matter revolves around a need for clarity.

>> Borland has offered me the ability to download a 'fix' to disable the time
>> bomb, but has not offered me any sort of upgrade to this 'shipping version
>> 2.01'.

>Exactly...use the {*word*76}y patch!

So you are saying that you know for an absolute fact that applying the
patch to the software I received will result in software identical to
the software Borland calls SHIPPING version 2.01?

>> This leads me to believe that either the '2.01' version is the same old thing
>> except with the ocx/dll patch applied, or that Borland has for some reason
>> decided to forego offering the improved software to those of us who purchased
>> the original upgrade.

>> I'm most curious as to the productversion of the netmanage files on this new
>> 2.01 version.

>The product version on the Delphi CD has the last beta controls installed...if
>you use the patch, the OCXs are upgraded, patched and de-timebombed.

>> I'm also curious as to the productversion of the netmanage files one receives
>> if one pays netmanage the $200 or so they want for the production product.

>Why would you??? What for? To get a version that does the same the patched
>version does?

Oh, so you somehow believe that the patch released by Borland not only
de-timebombs the files, but also upgrades them to the Netmanage
released versions?  Could you please share your source of this
information?

>> And, as long as I'm being curious, I suppose I could wonder if anyone who has
>> submitted a bug report against the ICP has heard anything.  I've submitted 2

>Why? They fixed the time-bomb problem...didn't they?

Why? Simply because none of the unacknowledged bug reports I referred
to had anything to do with the timebomb, but rather with functional
(or, to be more accurate, disfunctional) aspects of the controls.  The
missing ftp disconnect method.  The curious effects of doing a getfile
following a putfile.  I'm curious to know if borland ever even bothers
to acknowledge bug reports, as their web pages suggest.  And I'm
curious to know if they have discussed my reported bugs with
Netmanage, who presumably will have to be the source of corrections.

You seem to believe that the timebomb is the only issue with these
controls.  Well, it isn't.  Borland has yet to explain how it is that
they shipped software clearly designated as Beta by Netmanage without
bothering to disclose this to their customers. Borland has yet to
disclose how many versions of delphi2 exist.  Borland has yet to
explain the complete support picture.  Will all reported bugs be
fixed?  Or will the submitter be told that they have to purchase the
official release from Netmanage?  Will Delphi developers have to
purchase the controls from Netmanage to obtain features that were
missing from the beta, such as http authentication?

What I want to know, and what Borland isn't saying, is just how
confident I can be in putting these things into applications that *I*
have to support.

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads