Inprise splitting into Inprise and Borland.com

InfoWorld (Feb 1, 1998 issure) has an article headlined "Inprise
divides company into two" stating that Inprise will become Inprise,
which will focus on enterprise software and Borland.com which will
become "a Web destination providing software developers with tools and
services including those from third parties"  One unhappy stockholder
was quoted in the article as saying "This new deal of splitting the
comapny is basically a way of shipping Borland products off to die"

Is this the obituary for Delphi and the other great Borland products?

Regards,
Vic Fraenckel

Re:Inprise splitting into Inprise and Borland.com

>InfoWorld (Feb 1, 1998 issure) has an article headlined "Inprise
>divides company into two" stating that Inprise will become Inprise,
>which will focus on enterprise software and Borland.com which will
>become "a Web destination providing software developers with tools and
>services including those from third parties"  One unhappy stockholder
>was quoted in the article as saying "This new deal of splitting the
>comapny is basically a way of shipping Borland products off to die"

>Is this the obituary for Delphi and the other great Borland products?

Funny... I saw it as a recommitment from Inprise to support the traditions
(and tools) of Borland.

I guess it just goes to show people varying opinions.

What does everyone else think?

Victor Fraenckel wrote:

> InfoWorld (Feb 1, 1998 issure) has an article headlined "Inprise
> divides company into two" stating that Inprise will become Inprise,
> which will focus on enterprise software and Borland.com which will
> become "a Web destination providing software developers with tools and
> services including those from third parties"  One unhappy stockholder
> was quoted in the article as saying "This new deal of splitting the
> comapny is basically a way of shipping Borland products off to die"

> Is this the obituary for Delphi and the other great Borland products?

No, I don't think so. I think it's more of the same: Reorg of the year.

I think it's 1) an acknowledgement that the merger with Visigenic didn't
work and 2) a crass (and late) attempt to capitalize on the Internet
stock fever.

--

http://www.midnightbeach.com    - Me, my work, my writing, and
http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs - my homeschool resource pages

Victor Fraenckel wrote:

> InfoWorld (Feb 1, 1998 issure) has an article headlined "Inprise
> divides company into two" stating that Inprise will become Inprise,
> which will focus on enterprise software and Borland.com which will
> become "a Web destination providing software developers with tools and
> services including those from third parties"  One unhappy stockholder
> was quoted in the article as saying "This new deal of splitting the
> comapny is basically a way of shipping Borland products off to die"

> Is this the obituary for Delphi and the other great Borland products?

No, I don't think so. I think it's more of the same: Reorg of the year.

I think it's 1) an acknowledgement that the merger with Visigenic didn't
work and 2) a crass (and late) attempt to capitalize on the Internet
stock fever.

--

http://www.midnightbeach.com    - Me, my work, my writing, and
http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs - my homeschool resource pages

Re:Inprise splitting into Inprise and Borland.com

I too read this as a type of acknowledgment that perhaps they made a big
mistake in ditching the Borland Name (I think so anyway), and so, in a
backward sort of a way, want to reclaim it - but then who really knows !

On another note I have just received an upgrade notice from "Borland /
Inprise / Whatever" on C++ Builder 4 with the * saying that C++ 4 is now
"Y2k Compliant Date/Time Functions" (their words 10th Feb 1999) SO what the
heck is Delphi 3 & 4, if as speculated uses the same base libraries (C, C++,
C--) non-compliant ?

If any Borland / Inprise employees are reading this I would also like to
voice my complaints against their companies outrageously high update charges
(C/S). I have been a borland programmer since Turbo Pascal 1 (DOS) and have
every
tool they ever made (paid for each one), but that seems to be of little
concern in their eyes these days based on the recent price hikes. I am
seriously considering moving on to that other brand where the over charging
is sort of controlled (charges are much less anyway).

PS When will D4 C/S be commercially stable, I am still using D3 C/S for real
projects and D4 C/S for non-critical non-commercial apps ?

Looks like someone really pressed my button !

CStein <carl_steinhil...@usa.net> wrote in message

>>InfoWorld (Feb 1, 1998 issure) has an article headlined "Inprise
>>divides company into two" stating that Inprise will become Inprise,
>>which will focus on enterprise software and Borland.com which will
>>become "a Web destination providing software developers with tools and
>>services including those from third parties"  One unhappy stockholder
>>was quoted in the article as saying "This new deal of splitting the
>>comapny is basically a way of shipping Borland products off to die"

>>Is this the obituary for Delphi and the other great Borland products?

>Funny... I saw it as a recommitment from Inprise to support the traditions
>(and tools) of Borland.

>I guess it just goes to show people varying opinions.

>What does everyone else think?

Re:Inprise splitting into Inprise and Borland.com

In article <36c349b...@203.33.112.20>, Angie Hill
<angieh...@hawknet.com.au> writes
[cut]

>>Funny... I saw it as a recommitment from Inprise to support the traditions
>>(and tools) of Borland.

>>I guess it just goes to show people varying opinions.

>>What does everyone else think?

I read somewhere that the name change was to overcome a Microsoft
cartoon character by the name of Buck Forland...

--
Return address removed for anti-spam purposes.
Email replies to news at maelstrom dot demon dot co dot uk

Black Hole wrote:
> I read somewhere that the name change was to overcome a Microsoft
> cartoon character by the name of Buck Forland...

Yet it always seemed odd to me that the company ever withdrew the
Borland name from circulation for any length of time.  "Borland" has
always been associated with compiler and language products that were
"in-your-face better" than anything Microsoft has ever produced, "and a
helluva lot more visual than Visual."  I'm glad to see the name coming
back -- even though I'd love to get my hands on one of those infamous
coffee cups.

Other Threads