Delphi & SQL Server connection

I have a copy of Delphi C/S version 3.0.  I'd like to hook up to one
of SQL Server data bases.  Can someone give me the "how to" when it
comes to connecting.  I was able to set up a 23 bit ODBC DSN and
access SQL Server, but wondered if this was the correct way to go.  I
was under the impression that Delphi had drivers for SQL server and I
wouldn't need the ODBC connection.  While I'm on the subject, can you
set up the ODBC connection with Delphi Professional.  I'd like to
upgrade, but the C/S version is steep.

Thanks,
Tom

Re:Delphi & SQL Server connection

Which version of Delphi do you actually have?  You say the c/s version
but you later talk about upgrading to the professional version because
the c/s version is too expensive?

At any rate, the c/s version does include native drivers for SQL Server,
Sybase, Oracle, Informix, etc.  You have to set up an alias with the
correct driver type in the BDEAdmin.  You also have to have the correct
database client software installed.

In answer to your second question, yes the Professional edition provides
full ODBC support.  It is missing SQLLinks (the native c/s drivers) and
stuff like the web broker technology, MIDAS and a few other things.  I
use the professional edition at home and the c/s edition at work.

Tom Loach wrote:

> I have a copy of Delphi C/S version 3.0.  I'd like to hook up to one
> of SQL Server data bases.  Can someone give me the "how to" when it
> comes to connecting.  I was able to set up a 23 bit ODBC DSN and
> access SQL Server, but wondered if this was the correct way to go.  I
> was under the impression that Delphi had drivers for SQL server and I
> wouldn't need the ODBC connection.  While I'm on the subject, can you
> set up the ODBC connection with Delphi Professional.  I'd like to
> upgrade, but the C/S version is steep.

> Thanks,
> Tom

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
Phone: 966-5878
email: ray_por...@unc.edu
       dra...@email.unc.edu
Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Other Threads