Master/Detail Question

Another dumb Newbie question.

I have two tables linked together in the standard master/detail
relationship.  Now when I go to delete a detail record, I get an
error message:  "Master has detail records.  Cannot delete or modify."

Now it's a -detail- record I'm trying to delete.  Why won't it let
me?  What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Re:Master/Detail Question

I need some more information - like what database you are using (Paradox or
ODBC for example) and what the structure of the master-detail relationship
in the data catalog is.

Other than that, all I canthink of is that the DBMS defined a relationship
between mstTbl -> dtlTbl AND a relationship between dtlTbl -> mstTbl.

Else - I dunno!

Digit

Re:Master/Detail Question

de Villiers <devilli...@wxs.nl> wrote:

: I need some more information - like what database you are using (Paradox or
: ODBC for example) and what the structure of the master-detail relationship
: in the data catalog is.

It's Paradox.  After having the problem in my program, I tried a very
simple experiment with the 'demo' databases, a master/detail program
with Customers and Orders, and the same thing happened.  (I'd be
happy to mail it to you!)

But now that I think of it, there is a little tutorial in the Help
file about that, which shows how to set master/detail relationships.
I will have another look at that.

: Other than that, all I canthink of is that the DBMS defined a relationship
: between mstTbl -> dtlTbl AND a relationship between dtlTbl -> mstTbl.

That could be. I'll check that.

Other Threads