bc++ 3.1 is free for education?

Hi,

I think that Borland C/C++ be very good for  teaching C/C++ to beginners.

I heard that Borland C/C++ 3.1 was free for personal and education purpose.
I found it from download.com that TclitE Turbo C++ 1.0 was free.
Are these all true?

I thank for any comments in advance.

Jin-Ho You

Re:bc++ 3.1 is free for education?

On Mon, 21 May 2001 06:21:21 +0900, "Jin-Ho You" <jh...@chonnam.chonnam.ac.kr>
wrote:

>I heard that Borland C/C++ 3.1 was free for personal and education purpose.

No. If it were, it would be posted on Borland's web site. There were,
and may still be, books which you could buy to learn C/C++ which
included a copy of BC++ 3.1. Also some which included BC++ 4.5x or 5.0x.
These could only be used for personal and educational purposes.
The compiler was included under license from Borland, and cannot be
resold. redistributed, or repackaged. It is not freeware or in the public
domain.

Borland has made Turbo C++ 1.01 available for free download from
the "Museum" section of their "Community" web site. It's an older compiler,
so newer features of the C++ language aren't included. It can only create
DOS programs and includes a DOS IDE.

They have also made the latest Borland C++ compiler available for free
from their website. It's BCC32 5.5.x and is the *command line* compiler
and tools *only* from the C++ Builder 5 package. It is much more up to
date in its language features and support, but doesn't include an IDE.
There are some free IDEs from 3rd parties which can be used with it.
It can only be used under Win32, and can only create Win32 programs.

>I found it from download.com that TclitE Turbo C++ 1.0 was free.
>Are these all true?

No. TclitE was included in one of the book packages I mentioned above.
However, as I said above TC++ 1.01 is free, and can be used even to build
commercial applications. However, it remains Borland's property and cannot
legally be redistributed by any means.

--
Wayne A. King
(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,