How Does Delphi Handle Queries With Multiple Criteria?

I've been working with VB/Access almost exclusively for a few years
now, having left behind Clipper.  I'm considering Delphi for a couple
new projects.

One thing I was very happy to give up in Clipper was the need to
maintain many multi-field indexes in order to restrict a database
query based on multiple criteria.

Access solved this problem by offering an excellent SQL
implementation.  How is this handled in Delphi?

Thanks - Mike

Re:How Does Delphi Handle Queries With Multiple Criteria?

G'day,

Same deal. Using SQL components to access base tables.

M@!

MisterMike wrote:

> I've been working with VB/Access almost exclusively for a few years
> now, having left behind Clipper.  I'm considering Delphi for a couple
> new projects.

> One thing I was very happy to give up in Clipper was the need to
> maintain many multi-field indexes in order to restrict a database
> query based on multiple criteria.

> Access solved this problem by offering an excellent SQL
> implementation.  How is this handled in Delphi?

> Thanks - Mike

Re:How Does Delphi Handle Queries With Multiple Criteria?

I'd be careful. The local SQL available with the desktop
version of Delphi is (IMHO) marginal at best. One possible
answer is Infopower components. They provide upgraded
descendants of the standard Delphi components 0 including BDE
level filtering.

Good Luck

Mike Kopriva wrote:

> I'd be careful. The local SQL available with the desktop
> version of Delphi is (IMHO) marginal at best. One possible
> answer is Infopower components. They provide upgraded
> descendants of the standard Delphi components 0 including BDE
> level filtering.

> Good Luck

> Mike

Marginal? I think it's great. Just the fact that you can do outer joins
on local tables is enough for me (former FoxPro developer speaking).
                -Bryan

MisterMike wrote:

> I've been working with VB/Access almost exclusively for a few years
> now, having left behind Clipper.  I'm considering Delphi for a couple
> new projects.

> One thing I was very happy to give up in Clipper was the need to
> maintain many multi-field indexes in order to restrict a database
> query based on multiple criteria.

> Access solved this problem by offering an excellent SQL
> implementation.  How is this handled in Delphi?

> Thanks - Mike Mike,

   Delphi offers a Component called TQuery. I am in the process of using
it to convert a PowerBuilder Application to Delphi. The TQuery component
offers full SQL access to data sources. TTable offers Full table access
to tables(ie All Rows in the table). The best thing I've found about
TQuery is that because of the SQL interface, the data is Queried without
regard for Indexed columns.
--
HTH,
RW Durham

==stuff I can do=
PowerBuilder, VC++, Delphi, SQL, TKD,OOP/D

 * All views expressed by me, are from me, and me alone.

Other Threads