ByPass BDE by installing files myself?

Question?

Why couldn't I write an install program that installs my program,
then, at the same time, writes Borland BDE to the x:\IDAPI directory?

It seems all the BDE does is install the files into a particular
directory?

It seems the only changes it makes are thus:

If all of this is indeed the case, hell, anyone could bypass the BDE
install and write their own?

I'll work on it and report back!

AUTOEXEC.BAT
PATH=D:\DELPHI\IBLOCAL\BIN;%PATH%

WIN.INI
[IDAPI]
DLLPATH=D:\DELPHI\IDAPI
CONFIGFILE01=D:\DELPHI\IDAPI\IDAPI.CFG

[Borland Language Drivers]
LDPath=D:\DELPHI\IDAPI\LANGDRV

[Interbase]
RootDirectory=D:\DELPHI\IBLOCAL

[Paradox Engine]
UserName=PxEngine
NetNamePath=C:\
MaxTables=64
RecBufs=64
MaxLocks=64
MaxFiles=64
SwapSize=64

Re:ByPass BDE by installing files myself?

I've found a combination that works:  Here is what I use to get dBASE
and Paradox support (US English only) and install the BDE using my own
install program.  You can include any of the language drivers you wish
to support other than US language.

In a nut shell, I just include these files in the list of MY files to
be installed.   I automatically create an IDAPI folder under whatever
they type and put everything for BDE into that folder.  Then write the
changes to the WIN.INI based on the user's installation folder.
Create the program group and icon, exit setup.

Program is now ready to use!  No BDE installation disks!  If anyone
wants to know how to support ReportSmith, SQL, or QBE or other driver,
we've got that info as well.

IDASCI01 DLL
BDECFG   EXE
BDECFG   HLP
DB850US0 LD
IDAPI    CFG
IDAPI01  DLL
ANSII850 LD
IDBAT01  DLL
IDDBAS01 DLL
IDPDX01  DLL
IDQRY01  DLL
IDR10009 DLL
ILD01    DLL
SQLD_IB  DLL

I also write this to WIN.INI
[IDAPI]
DLLPATH=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\
ConfigFile01=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\

[Borland Language Drivers]
LDPath=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\

Re:ByPass BDE by installing files myself?

In article <31c02b6...@news.utech.net>, Stone <bard-d...@utech.net>
writes

>I've found a combination that works:  Here is what I use to get dBASE
>and Paradox support (US English only) and install the BDE using my own
>install program.  You can include any of the language drivers you wish
>to support other than US language.

>In a nut shell, I just include these files in the list of MY files to
>be installed.   I automatically create an IDAPI folder under whatever
>they type and put everything for BDE into that folder.  Then write the
>changes to the WIN.INI based on the user's installation folder.
>Create the program group and icon, exit setup.

>Program is now ready to use!  No BDE installation disks!  If anyone
>wants to know how to support ReportSmith, SQL, or QBE or other driver,
>we've got that info as well.

>IDASCI01 DLL
>BDECFG   EXE
>BDECFG   HLP
>DB850US0 LD
>IDAPI    CFG
>IDAPI01  DLL
>ANSII850 LD
>IDBAT01  DLL
>IDDBAS01 DLL
>IDPDX01  DLL
>IDQRY01  DLL
>IDR10009 DLL
>ILD01    DLL
>SQLD_IB  DLL

>I also write this to WIN.INI
>[IDAPI]
>DLLPATH=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\
>ConfigFile01=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\

>[Borland Language Drivers]
>LDPath=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\

I think that this breaks Borland's Licence terms for the BDE which
require (for 16-bit at least) that you distribute the whole thing.

From  'Additional License Terms for Borland Database Engine'

"Under Borland's copyright, and subject to all of the conditions in this
statement, Borland authorizes the licensed, registered user of this
product to reproduce and distribute exact copies of the Redistributable
Install Disk, provided that such copies are made fro, the original disks
in this package (or a set of backup copies made directly from them)."

I believe that the makers of Installshield, Wise &c got agreement from
Borland to include the BDE in their installations.

I've also heard it's a bad idea to include subsets of the drivers in a
BDE install, because of things getting out of sync (older existing
drivers might not work with newer DLLs). What happens if you write your
IDAPI.CFG over an existing one?

Mark

Mark Williams                   M...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk
Polyhedron Software Ltd.
Programs for Programmers - QA, Compilers, Graphics
************ Visit our Web site on http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/ ************

Re:ByPass BDE by installing files myself?

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:58:26 GMT,
bard-d...@utech.net (Stone) wrote (a crit):

[cut]

>I also write this to WIN.INI
>[IDAPI]
>DLLPATH=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\
>ConfigFile01=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\
>[Borland Language Drivers]
>LDPath=C:\CYBRTIME\IDAPI\

This work OK, BUT:

What about if a BDE is already installed in the computer? Do you still
write the above? Do you still copy the BDE files in your own
directory?

I'm trying also to learn how ***NOT*** to use the stupid looking
Borland BDE installation program.

Georges Rosset - Geneva/Switzerland
rosse...@iprolink.ch

Other Threads