Connecting to network DB

How do I set up a network connection to a database? I have looked and looked
for a way to browse the network so I can connect across the network to a
database and I cannot figure this out. What I want to do is create a local
alias to point at a network directory on a server. I am using D3 and the
Database Desktop that goes with that.

    -- Rich

Re:Connecting to network DB

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:33:09 -0700, "Richard Hartl"

<har...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>How do I set up a network connection to a database? I have looked and looked
>for a way to browse the network so I can connect across the network to a
>database and I cannot figure this out. What I want to do is create a local
>alias to point at a network directory on a server. I am using D3 and the
>Database Desktop that goes with that.

>    -- Rich

Using Database Desktop simply type in the UNC path. The browse button
doesn't give you Network neighbourhood browsing.

HTH

--
Gary Wilmot
Senior Developer

Re:Connecting to network DB

There are two ways. One is to create an alias using the BDE Administrator.
The alias path should be the network directory. The other way is to set the
Path parameter of your Database component.

with Database1 do
begin
  Connected := False;
  Params.Clear;
  Params.Add('path=c:\foo');
  Connected := True;
end;

Bill

--

Bill Todd - TeamB

Re:Connecting to network DB

>How do I set up a network connection to a database? I have looked and looked
>for a way to browse the network so I can connect across the network to a
>database and I cannot figure this out. What I want to do is create a local
>alias to point at a network directory on a server. I am using D3 and the
>Database Desktop that goes with that.

In the BDE config you need to set the network control file location (under
Drivers|Paradox) and set local share to true.  The newtwork control file
location must be a shared directory with the same path for all users (except
that the drive letter can be different)

The BDEAdmin directory browser for setting and Alias only shows the drivers
available on your PC.  You can map a drive to the server and use that drive.
You can also use UNC.  It is not supported by the Alias directory browser but
can be entered.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com