Optimizing for size?

How can i optimize a program for size? I have all
debbugging ticks off!

Re:Optimizing for size?

  Delphi 1.0 and 2.0?  --  Write more efficient code.  --  Or, build your
entire app. using NOTHING but the WinAPI.
  Delphi 3.0:  Use packages...

  Files built with a 'VCL' have to take the core information, and compile it
into the app.  That's why the minimum size of a program, with just a form,
is around 150k.  Delphi 3.0 uses packages (which are awesome).  The core
information is stored in DPL files (all Delphi 3.0 apps uses these DPL's, so
they only need be installed the first time...)  --  C++ Builder 3.0, will
use BPL's (which does the exact same thing....)

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software

Luca Manganelli wrote in message <6b7b3c$s9...@croci.unipi.it>...
>How can i optimize a program for size? I have all
>debbugging ticks off!

Re:Optimizing for size?

: Luca Manganelli <manga...@comex18.cli.di.unipi.it> wrote:

>How can i optimize a program for size? I have all
>debbugging ticks off!

What version of Delphi?

If you are talking about Delphi 1, run w8loss.exe over the executable,
or check the item on the linker page.

There is no such thing for Delphi 2/3.

If you need to reduce the size of your binary further you need to
re-consider the design of your software. There are a number of
issues...
--
mailto:Stefan.Hoffmeister (at) Uni-Passau.de
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/

Re:Optimizing for size?

Luca Manganelli wrote:
> How can i optimize a program for size? I have all
> debbugging ticks off!

   Try not including  "Symbol and Debug Information" on your code (Take
a look on Project|Options|Compiler for Delphi 3)

Victor X.

Re:Optimizing for size?

Victor de Almeida Xavier wrote:

> Luca Manganelli wrote:

> > How can i optimize a program for size? I have all
> > debbugging ticks off!

>    Try not including  "Symbol and Debug Information" on your code (Take
> a look on Project|Options|Compiler for Delphi 3)

The online help specifically says that this makes no difference to code
size.  The symbol info is in a different file.  Turbo Pascal _used_ to
put it in the exe file.

You might look at using packages in D3 - this is a great approach if you
have a number of executables, and considerably decreases the exe size.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
 email: ag...@tpgi.com.au

Re:Optimizing for size?

: Andrew Gabb <ag...@tpgi.com.au> wrote:

>Victor de Almeida Xavier wrote:

>> Luca Manganelli wrote:

>> > How can i optimize a program for size? I have all
>> > debbugging ticks off!

>>    Try not including  "Symbol and Debug Information" on your code (Take
>> a look on Project|Options|Compiler for Delphi 3)

>The online help specifically says that this makes no difference to code
>size.  The symbol info is in a different file.

Wrong. It is in a different segment of the same executable.

>Turbo Pascal _used_ to
>put it in the exe file.

The problem is not the EXE file but the way it is loaded by the OS.
Windows is better than DOS.
--

On Sun, 08 Feb 1998 09:32:38 +1030, Andrew Gabb <ag...@tpgi.com.au> wrote:
>You might look at using packages in D3 - this is a great approach if you
>have a number of executables, and considerably decreases the exe size.

Hi Andrew,

How do I use the packages?

Bye!

Arjan

Arjan van de Logt author of Yer Winlogo and other utils.
E-mail Arjan_van_de_L...@wxs.nl

http://www.tomb.demon.nl