TI2989 - setting an application on net.

1. TI2989 talks about a network directory is this the directory set up on
the  DBE administrator \ system \ configuration \ drivers \ native \ Paradox
\ netdir ?

If so, then this is a common directory for all paradox alias, it is not
specific for a certain alias as can be understood from TI2989.

2. why cannt the path of an alias be updated form the BDE admin. It can be
though edited from the Database destop / utilitues / alias

Sraya

Re:TI2989 - setting an application on net.

On Fri, 12 May 2000 10:52:04 +0300, "Sraya Malkiel"

<sr...@malkiel.com> wrote:
>1. TI2989 talks about a network directory is this the directory set up on
>the  DBE administrator \ system \ configuration \ drivers \ native \ Paradox
>\ netdir ?

>If so, then this is a common directory for all paradox alias, it is not
>specific for a certain alias as can be understood from TI2989.

You can set a specific netdir using the TSession.NetFileDir.

>2. why cannt the path of an alias be updated form the BDE admin. It can be
>though edited from the Database destop / utilitues / alias

It *is* possible to edit this using BDE Admin.  Select the 'Databases'
tab and click on the alias (only once, you'll open it when you
doubleclick and that will make the path read-only).  Now you can
change the path and save it.

Jan

Re:TI2989 - setting an application on net.

The Netdir is a BDE Engine Global setting per each IDAPI32.cfg file.
So from a client machine perspective where the the BDE is installed
is irrelevant and has no relationship to the Netdir setting which is contained
in
a particular IDAPI32.cfg file.

In other words you can (some sites do this) install the BDE on the Network
(Although it is not recommended by Inprise to do so) and share that
single installation amongst all client machines.

Then on a separate note you can for each client machine in the Windows
registry determine where to look (Yes another pathing c:\idaplocal\idapi32.cfg
to have a unique setting for a particular client machine or path to
F:\idapifileonserver\idapi32.cfg and use a shared idapi32.cfg file for all
client machines.)  Set up your site in the way that makes the most sense to you.

You seem to be inexperienced at configuring the BDE.

All of the above psssiblities can be implemented successfully and there are
other
scenarios that I have not described above.

The Netdir setting that is Global to a client is a singular item and applies to
that machine regardless of what alias is used.  Now I have never myself looked
even further into this subject so it may be possible to work with a Tsession
Object
and create a unique individual Netdir per each Tsession or maybe even the
Tdatabase but this is purely conjecture as I have no idea if that is possible I
am just curious.

An Alias has a path of its own and that path setting is simply where the *.db
tables and accompanying indexes for your applications database  reside.

You can create as many aliases as you want until you blow the size of the
idapi32.cfg
file or run out of disk space which ever comes first.

Sraya Malkiel wrote:
> 1. TI2989 talks about a network directory is this the directory set up on
> the  DBE administrator \ system \ configuration \ drivers \ native \ Paradox
> \ netdir ?

> If so, then this is a common directory for all paradox alias, it is not
> specific for a certain alias as can be understood from TI2989.

> 2. why cannt the path of an alias be updated form the BDE admin. It can be
> though edited from the Database destop / utilitues / alias

> Sraya

Other Threads