Cheap/Free SQL

Well,

you may want to take a look at Interbase 4.0 for Linux.  I am using it
with Red Hat 5.0 supporting approx 10 users. Server is a P-200 w 8GB HD
and 128 MB RAM. Performance is acceptable. Using Quick Reports and
Crystal Reports. Not using and UDF's or any type of Linux based code
accessing the IB Server. All client PC's are Win98. No problems yet.
you may also want to check out MySQL another Linux based db that uses
ODBC.

-cheers.

dickson Wong wrote:
> My program is based on MSSQL server. I want my cleint have a cheaper
> alternative.
> Can anbody suggest a cheap (free is better) SQL server?

Re:Cheap/Free SQL

Well, you can distribute the MSDE for free and it's SQL Server 7.0
with some limitations. It runs on Win 95, 98 as well as NTWS & NTSV.
If you are currently on 6.5 I would look at that.

Craig Baugh

dickson Wong <dick...@cac.com.hk> wrote in message news:7rkaoe$can13@forums.borland.com...
> My program is based on MSSQL server. I want my cleint have a cheaper
> alternative.
> Can anbody suggest a cheap (free is better) SQL server?

Re:Cheap/Free SQL

How can I get the MSDE. I have MS Office 2000 Professional and I am trying to figure out how
to load the MSDE for development use. Do I need MS O2K Premium or Developer for this?  Will
MSDE be shipping with VC++/VB. If  so I will purchase just for that capability.
cbaugh wrote:
> Well, you can distribute the MSDE for free and it's SQL Server 7.0
> with some limitations. It runs on Win 95, 98 as well as NTWS & NTSV.
> If you are currently on 6.5 I would look at that.

> Craig Baugh

>{*word*106}son Wong <dick...@cac.com.hk> wrote in message news:7rkaoe$can13@forums.borland.com...
> > My program is based on MSSQL server. I want my cleint have a cheaper
> > alternative.
> > Can anbody suggest a cheap (free is better) SQL server?

Re:Cheap/Free SQL

I have the 'Premium' version, and MSDE is on disk 1, in SQL\X86\SETUP,
SETUPSQL.EXE.
Don't know if it's in the 'Professional' version though.

Lou Feliz <lfe...@nospam.clipboard.com> wrote in message

> How can I get the MSDE. I have MS Office 2000 Professional and I am trying
to figure out how
> to load the MSDE for development use. Do I need MS O2K Premium or

Developer for this?  Will
> MSDE be shipping with VC++/VB. If  so I will purchase just for that
capability.

> cbaugh wrote:

> > Well, you can distribute the MSDE for free and it's SQL Server 7.0
> > with some limitations. It runs on Win 95, 98 as well as NTWS & NTSV.
> > If you are currently on 6.5 I would look at that.

> > Craig Baugh

> >{*word*106}son Wong <dick...@cac.com.hk> wrote in message

> > > My program is based on MSSQL server. I want my cleint have a cheaper
> > > alternative.
> > > Can anbody suggest a cheap (free is better) SQL server?

Other Threads