Delphi vs BCB??????

------=_NextPart_000_01BCCB23.9E0E9160

I sincerely would like to know which language or compiler is better. C++
appears to be more popular than Pascal or any other laguage, but why.....

1. Do more people use Delphi than BCB?
2. Is there anything that C++ can do that Pacal cannot do?
3. Is BCB faster than Delphi or Visual Basic?
4. C++ appears to be much more harder to learn than Pacal. Why use if there
is no advantage over Pascal?

Please post your answers or write to me. Your help is really appreciated.

Ike
Miami, Florida
--
To send E-mail please remove "Q" from my address

------=_NextPart_000_01BCCB23.9E0E9160

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Times New Roman">I sincerely would like to =
know which language or compiler is better. C++ appears to be more =
popular than Pascal or any other laguage, but why.....<br><br>1. Do more =
people use Delphi than BCB?<br>2. Is there anything that C++ can do that =
Pacal cannot do?<br>3. Is BCB faster than Delphi or Visual Basic?<br>4. =
C++ appears to be much more harder to learn than Pacal. Why use if there =
is no advantage over Pascal?<br><br>Please post your answers or write to =
------=_NextPart_000_01BCCB23.9E0E9160--

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

This would be a great question for the non-technical group.

Please don't cross post.

Jim Bailey
TeamB

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

1. Do more people use Delphi than BCB?
2. Is there anything that C++ can do that Pacal cannot do?
3. Is BCB faster than Delphi or Visual Basic?
4. C++ appears to be much more harder to learn than Pacal. Why use if there
is no advantage over Pascal?

I have used both and there is no difference at all between delphi and BCB.
It is just personal preference for the language. Delphi has some advantages
in that, D3 have more features than BCB. Delphi compiles (in my experience)
around 10-15 times quicker than BCB. In some cases, compiles in BCB were
taking 5-10 minutes, where in Delphi it would take less than 30 seconds.
(P133).

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

STING RAY wrote:

> I sincerely would like to know which language or compiler is better. C++
> appears to be more popular than Pascal or any other laguage, but why.....

> 1. Do more people use Delphi than BCB?
> 2. Is there anything that C++ can do that Pacal cannot do?
> 3. Is BCB faster than Delphi or Visual Basic?
> 4. C++ appears to be much more harder to learn than Pacal. Why use if there
> is no advantage over Pascal?

> Please post your answers or write to me. Your help is really appreciated.

> Ike
> Miami, Florida
> --
> To send E-mail please remove "Q" from my address

>     ---------------------------------------------------------------

> I sincerely would like to know which language or compiler is better.
> C++ appears to be more popular than Pascal or any other laguage, but
> why.....

> 1. Do more people use Delphi than BCB?
> 2. Is there anything that C++ can do that Pacal cannot do?
> 3. Is BCB faster than Delphi or Visual Basic?
> 4. C++ appears to be much more harder to learn than Pacal. Why use if
> there is no advantage over Pascal?

> Please post your answers or write to me. Your help is really
> appreciated.

Yes, indeed -- this kind of message needs to be limited in its posting,
certainly not to a technical newsgroup.

Basically, a "choice of languages" is not a choice that actually gets
made very often -- it's usually made for historic or arbitrary reasons,
and once it has been made (by whomever), the debate is no longer very
interesting to those of us who are then paid to "bloom where we are
planted."  Remember that 90% of the work that is done in this business is
done on "legacy systems" (of whatever age), and rewriting an existing
system in any other language is "not an option."

So these messages, unaffectionately called "trolling," should be limited
to "advocacy" newsgroups.  And a surf to http://www.dejanews.com/ will
usually find the answers already written, the debates already done.

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

> ehem...this is a NON-technical newsgroup, Sundial. ;-)

There is a non-technical group.

Sometimes this one *may* qualify, as well. <G>

Jim Bailey
TeamB

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

>1. Do more people use Delphi than BCB?

Delphi.  It has been out longer.

>2. Is there anything that C++ can do that Pacal cannot do?

I am not a C++ pro or anything, but I beleive there are technical
coding items that can be accomplished in C++ that can't be done in
Pascal.

>3. Is BCB faster than Delphi or Visual Basic?

I heard that Delphi is faster than most C++ pacakages including Visual
C++

>4. C++ appears to be much more harder to learn than Pacal. Why use if there
>is no advantage over Pascal?

C++ is more widely used.

Here is my take - if you are choosing a RAD tool to start from scratch
then DEFINATLY DELPHI.  BCB is for C++ developers who want to go RAD.
Many people with heavy experience in C++ and Object Pascal, prefer
Object Pascal.

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

On 27 Sep 1997 12:57:01 GMT, "STING RAY"

<QIkeAnia...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>1. Do more people use Delphi than BCB?

Yes. Delphi is easier yet so powerful. These words sound like
marketing ones, but it's one of that rarest situations where the
marketing and technical department agree.

>2. Is there anything that C++ can do that Pacal cannot do?

Unless you are planning to create an operating system or drivers,
Pascal can do everything in a very elegant way. I never find any
problem that I couldn't solve with Pascal with high performance.

>3. Is BCB faster than Delphi or Visual Basic?

Delphi keeps faster.

>4. C++ appears to be much more harder to learn than Pacal. Why use if there
>is no advantage over Pascal?

Pascal was a little old-fashioned for some years, but it's back and
showing its force. There are significative differences between both
languages (C is more optimized to deal with pointers and bits, for
example), but I do believe Delphil can do everything.

EBR

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

>There is a non-technical group.

Iam in the Delphi non-technical group..

I think these things are getting cross-posted elsewhere.

>Sometimes this one *may* qualify, as well. <G>

>Jim Bailey
>TeamB

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

In article , ata...@aegonusa.com says...

>>There is a non-technical group.

>Iam in the Delphi non-technical group..

>I think these things are getting cross-posted elsewhere.

Yes, posted to
   borland.public.cppbuilder.database,
   borland.public.delphi.database.sqlservers,
   borland.public.delphi.non-technical,
   comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

Agree absolutely.

I *really* like C and C++, it was really hard for me to switch to pascal
for RAD, but after i got a taste of the speed of the compiler vs. C++ i
just couldn't go back for the type of development i'm doing.

al

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

Sundial Services wrote:
> Yes, indeed -- this kind of message needs to be limited in its posting,
> certainly not to a technical newsgroup.

ehem...this is a NON-technical newsgroup, Sundial. ;-)

---
Jose Garcia
Sydney, Australia

"No problem can withstand the power of sustained thought." Voltaire

Re:Delphi vs BCB??????

Al,

I program in many languages Pascal, Visual Basic, C, C++ Powerbuilder
etc.  Delphi allows me to do very productive database work while
allowing me the freedom to do whatever I want (no restrictions), I do,
however compile C code in C++ builder and link the Delphi front end into
it. Imagine having a C++ builder program where 95% of it is Delphi!!

I use C for low level device drivers and embedded processing but do
enjoy RAD.

Visual Basic comes second for productivity but only where I don't end up
hitting a wall (Microsoft tries to do more for you but you really do end
up with problems if you want to stray from the Microsoft path)

I expect to stay using Delphi for most of my work but do see a trend
where it won't matter which Borland language you prefer J++, C++ or
delphi as all the front ends will be very similiar and will all produce
effective code.

Garry Kernan

Al wrote:

> Agree absolutely.

> I *really* like C and C++, it was really hard for me to switch to pascal
> for RAD, but after i got a taste of the speed of the compiler vs. C++ i
> just couldn't go back for the type of development i'm doing.

> al

Other Threads