Corrupt Paradox 5 header - anyone knows header structure?

Geert-Jan van Moorsel <g...@worldaccess.nl> writes: > Hi,

> We are having problems accessing our Paradox 5 tables; they seem to have
> a corrupt header. Does anyone know what the exact structure of such a
> header is? Or does anyone know of a utility to fix incorrect headers?

> Thanx a lot.

> --
>      Geert-Jan van Moorsel
>      Partners in Professional Computing bv
>      Nijmegen, The Netherlands
>      p...@ppcnet.nl

>      Murphy was an optimist...

If you have the complete Borland Paradox 5.0 Package you could
try de Table Repair option on your corrupt tables.

I hope this would help you

Luis Correia
Portugal Telecom
luis-l-corr...@telecom.pt

Re:Corrupt Paradox 5 header - anyone knows header structure?

        It's probably more than just your header. Borl
has a repair utility on their website under the BDE section,
if that doesn't work, look into the Tips section of my web
site for more help.

--
Delphi and Paradox Consultant. Member: Borland Delphi Technical Support
             Most small questions answered for free!

              http://www.pagescape.com/fire/dbtech/

Geert-Jan van Moorsel wrote:

> Hi,

> We are having problems accessing our Paradox 5 tables; they seem to have
> a corrupt header. Does anyone know what the exact structure of such a
> header is? Or does anyone know of a utility to fix incorrect headers?

> Thanx a lot.

> --
>      Geert-Jan van Moorsel
>      Partners in Professional Computing bv
>      Nijmegen, The Netherlands
>      p...@ppcnet.nl

>      Murphy was an optimist...

Check the Borland web-site for the file TUtility.ZIP.

CU,

Juergen

Geert-Jan van Moorsel wrote:

> Hi,
Hi!

> We are having problems accessing our Paradox 5 tables; they seem to have
> a corrupt header. Does anyone know what the exact structure of such a
> header is? Or does anyone know of a utility to fix incorrect headers?

> Thanx a lot.

You can fix this problem using the tutility.dll from Borland. The API
can be found on the borland-bde webpage together with some examples in
delphi and c++.
If you don't want to write an interface by yourself, there are a lot of
shareware-components out on the web (search for tu.zip for example).

By Volker

Re:Corrupt Paradox 5 header - anyone knows header structure?

Hi,

We are having problems accessing our Paradox 5 tables; they seem to have
a corrupt header. Does anyone know what the exact structure of such a
header is? Or does anyone know of a utility to fix incorrect headers?

Thanx a lot.

--
     Geert-Jan van Moorsel
     Partners in Professional Computing bv
     Nijmegen, The Netherlands
     p...@ppcnet.nl

     Murphy was an optimist...

Re:Corrupt Paradox 5 header - anyone knows header structure?

Dear Geert-Jan,

At one of my sites (before I required a UPS and NT 4), I used to get
similar problems.  On one occasion the tables seemed to be totally trashed.
 Nothing worked and: "backup - nope, haven't done one".  So as a last ditch
I tried the following:

        * copy the header of a table with the same structure over the top of the
old table (using BlockRead/BlockWrite)
        * then run table repair (I used Paradox 7)
        * copy any recovered data to a new table

... and I got 100% recovery.

.db structure:
        bytes 0/1: record size
        bytes 2/3: the table header size
        byte 4 is file type: 0=.db
        byte 5 is MaxTableSize (BlockSize in bdecfg)
        bytes 6/7/8/9 are the number of records .....

Whilst Borland have not released the paradox file structure into the public
domain, fairly detailed information is available if you search the 'net.
Knowing the above saved my bacon.

HTH,

--
Paul Motyer
pa...@pccity.com.au - now working!

Luis Correia <luis-l-corr...@telecom.pt> wrote in article
<5fms35$e7...@internet-gw.telecom.pt>...

> Geert-Jan van Moorsel <g...@worldaccess.nl> writes: > Hi,

> > We are having problems accessing our Paradox 5 tables; they seem to
have
> > a corrupt header. Does anyone know what the exact structure of such a
> > header is? Or does anyone know of a utility to fix incorrect headers?

> > Thanx a lot.

> > --
> >      Geert-Jan van Moorsel
> >      Partners in Professional Computing bv
> >      Nijmegen, The Netherlands
> >      p...@ppcnet.nl

> >      Murphy was an optimist...

> If you have the complete Borland Paradox 5.0 Package you could
> try de Table Repair option on your corrupt tables.

> I hope this would help you

> Luis Correia
> Portugal Telecom
> luis-l-corr...@telecom.pt