Converting a Dbase III+ file to ?

I'm using Delphi 4 to convert an application that I previously wrote in
Lattice 400D (RPG III).  I previously wrote an application with Delphi
3, but most of my experience is with the IBM AS/400.  So, on a scale of
1 to 10, I would place myself at about a 6 in my working knowledge in
Delphi for developing database applications.  The application in Lattice
400D uses dBase III+ for a data base format.  I think I want to convert
to Paradox, using the BDE, but I'm hearing more and more about
Interbase.  One of the quirks about dBase is that when I used the copy
feature of going from dBase to Paradox, the number fields display with 2
extra decimal positions (not 4 altogether, but 2 beyond where they
should be). So, to make a long story short, what are the pros and cons:
Paradox vs. Interbase?

Jim Armstrong
Armstrong Enterprises
j...@mcn.net

Re:Converting a Dbase III+ file to ?

Jim,

You may want to try using an intermediate file format such as a
comma-delim'd one.

As for the databases: Paradox is a client-side database driver and works
similar to dBase, but with a bit more funtionality and more quirks.
Interbase is a true database server and all SQL-based. IB should have higher
performance and better reliability than using Paradox, but that does depend
upon your application and how well you design it. Personally I prefer Sybase
SQL Anywhere, but that is MHO.

Regards,

Glenn.

Jim Armstrong wrote:
> I'm using Delphi 4 to convert an application that I previously wrote in
> Lattice 400D (RPG III).  I previously wrote an application with Delphi
> 3, but most of my experience is with the IBM AS/400.  So, on a scale of
> 1 to 10, I would place myself at about a 6 in my working knowledge in
> Delphi for developing database applications.  The application in Lattice
> 400D uses dBase III+ for a data base format.  I think I want to convert
> to Paradox, using the BDE, but I'm hearing more and more about
> Interbase.  One of the quirks about dBase is that when I used the copy
> feature of going from dBase to Paradox, the number fields display with 2
> extra decimal positions (not 4 altogether, but 2 beyond where they
> should be). So, to make a long story short, what are the pros and cons:
> Paradox vs. Interbase?

> Jim Armstrong
> Armstrong Enterprises
> j...@mcn.net

Re:Converting a Dbase III+ file to ?

Glenn,
Thanks for the input on databases. The application I have in mind will probably
be single user, maybe 2 users, so Paradox will probably work ok. Part of what I
want to do is not only convert the dBase files, but add/modify some of the
fields.  Naturally, this will involve a little more work. Thanks again.

Jim

Glenn Casteran wrote:
> Jim,

> You may want to try using an intermediate file format such as a
> comma-delim'd one.

> As for the databases: Paradox is a client-side database driver and works
> similar to dBase, but with a bit more funtionality and more quirks.
> Interbase is a true database server and all SQL-based. IB should have higher
> performance and better reliability than using Paradox, but that does depend
> upon your application and how well you design it. Personally I prefer Sybase
> SQL Anywhere, but that is MHO.

> Regards,

> Glenn.

> Jim Armstrong wrote:

> > I'm using Delphi 4 to convert an application that I previously wrote in
> > Lattice 400D (RPG III).  I previously wrote an application with Delphi
> > 3, but most of my experience is with the IBM AS/400.  So, on a scale of
> > 1 to 10, I would place myself at about a 6 in my working knowledge in
> > Delphi for developing database applications.  The application in Lattice
> > 400D uses dBase III+ for a data base format.  I think I want to convert
> > to Paradox, using the BDE, but I'm hearing more and more about
> > Interbase.  One of the quirks about dBase is that when I used the copy
> > feature of going from dBase to Paradox, the number fields display with 2
> > extra decimal positions (not 4 altogether, but 2 beyond where they
> > should be). So, to make a long story short, what are the pros and cons:
> > Paradox vs. Interbase?

> > Jim Armstrong
> > Armstrong Enterprises
> > j...@mcn.net