EXCEL TLB and language versions

Some time ago I made a little routine to get some data out of an excel
workbook, and into my program.

It works wonderfully, but

the program I wrote will need to used in non-english speaking countries,
with the likelihood that they will be using non-english versions of Excel.
I will need to support these localized versions of EXCEL also, but I am
fervently hoping that there is a way of automating EXCEL such that I can
write the code generically, rather than having to check the various
language versions of EXCEL, and to hardcode all the different varieties.

Obviously the MS-Excel/Microsoft press Developer series books do not
mention the subject at all. I am rather hoping that by using interfaces
rather than variants the problem magically disappears, because the
getIdsofNames will be bypassed. can anybody confirm this hunch, and does
anybody have a code example

Thanks

Tjeerd Jellema

Re:EXCEL TLB and language versions

You are correct, Tjeerd, using the interfaces will bypass the language
problem.  However, don't be surprised to hit brick walls.  See a previous
thread about 'Ole error when setting style in Word'.  That also contains a
code example in Word 8.

Perhaps you could write a poem saying how much you hate Microsoft.

Matthew Greet

P.S. How do you pronounce your name?

Re:EXCEL TLB and language versions

Ok Matthew,

thanks for confirming that. I am kind of sensitive on languages and naming.
As to how to pronounce the unpronouncable (for everybody except the
Frisians, and perhaps the hollanders) well that's another story. I knew a
guy in Mbabane who left a note on my door addressed to 'Cheard'.

Thanks again

TJ

Matthew Greet <matth...@chemware.co.uk> wrote in article
<01bd6cfe$0846e9c0$724dc...@Mars.chemware.co.uk>...

> You are correct, Tjeerd, using the interfaces will bypass the language
> problem.  However, don't be surprised to hit brick walls.  See a previous
> thread about 'Ole error when setting style in Word'.  That also contains
> code example in Word 8.

> Perhaps you could write a poem saying how much you hate Microsoft.

> Matthew Greet

> P.S. How do you pronounce your name?

Other Threads