Strange BDE problem (Error: Unit DBTable built with different version of BDE)

I tried all kinds of things -- deleting all applications that used BDE,
wiping BDE entries from the registry, and so on.

Finally, I deleted all intermediate files in my project directory. Now it
works!!!! I don't really understand why, but there's an object (oops! Oh
no, the puns go on forever!) lesson: When strange things start happening,
rebuild your project from the source files.
---------------------
Graham Stratford
stratf...@os.jcs.co.jp
          Japan Computer Science Corp.
          Osaka, Japan

Re:Strange BDE problem (Error: Unit DBTable built with different version of BDE)

In article <01bd2fb4$2034ec80$b70a0...@cst23.os.jcs.co.jp>, Graham

Stratford wrote:
> When strange things start happening, rebuild your project from the
> source files.

Very good advice.  I've had many strange errors go away with a full
rebuild.  BTW: Project | Build All should do it without the need for
deleting anything.

> Finally, I deleted all intermediate files in my project directory.

Is there any chance that a .dcu file was moved to a different directory
than its pas file?  If that happened, and the compiler needed to
rebuild the .dcu, it would not be able to locate the .pas for
recompile, and you'd get that error.

Re:Strange BDE problem (Error: Unit DBTable built with different version of BDE)

Scott Samet [TeamB] <Send...@No.Spam> wrote in article
<VA.000002c3.01a5f10c@scottstoshiba>...

> Very good advice.  I've had many strange errors go away with a full
> rebuild.  BTW: Project | Build All should do it without the need for
> deleting anything.

Oddly enough, Build All did NOT solve the problem, for reasons that escape
me. However, when I also removed all the other files, leaving only .PAS,
.DPR and .DFM, my problems were solved. Well, at least THAT problem was
solved!

> Is there any chance that a .dcu file was moved to a different directory
> than its pas file?  If that happened, and the compiler needed to
> rebuild the .dcu, it would not be able to locate the .pas for
> recompile, and you'd get that error.

Until I had this problem, I hadn't even looked in the LIB or SOURCE
directories. And besides, what connection would that have with a "different
BDE" complaint?

Thanks for your help, anyway,

Graham

Re:Strange BDE problem (Error: Unit DBTable built with different version of BDE)

In article <01bd3042$5d24a7a0$b70a0...@cst23.os.jcs.co.jp>, Graham

Stratford wrote:
> And besides, what connection would that have with a "different
> BDE" complaint?

 (Error: Unit DBTable built with different version of BDE)

It's not complaining about the BDE, it's complaining about the unit
named BDE.dcu in the \lib directory.  I suspect somehow a bad version
of DBTable.DCU ended up in some directory, and the compiler could not
find DBTable.Pas in that same directory in order to recompile.

BTW: I recently had a problem where a bad line of source code in one
unit caused the compiler to complain that another unit had been
compiled with a different version of sysutils.  Fixing one unit made
the error in the other unit go away.

Other Threads