What are the advantages of FPK pascal?

I have heard about the FPK pascal compiler.  I know very little, and have
very little time available to try out different compilers without knowing
what they offer.

What is the main advantage of 32 bits?  I know it gets me out of the
program size limits, and data size limits of Borland's product.  What
platforms does FPK run on?  Does it work on '95, NT?  Is this a DPMI type
of product?

Thanks, Brad
BEVERNON

Re:What are the advantages of FPK pascal?

BEVERNON wrote:

> I have heard about the FPK pascal compiler.  I know very little, and have
> very little time available to try out different compilers without knowing
> what they offer.

> What is the main advantage of 32 bits?  I know it gets me out of the
> program size limits, and data size limits of Borland's product.  What
> platforms does FPK run on?  Does it work on '95, NT?  Is this a DPMI type
> of product?

> Thanks, Brad
> BEVERNON

Yes, FPK pascal is a DPMI compiler . . . It should work under Win95 or
WinNT (would be surprised if it didn't).

-Phil Brutsche

Re:What are the advantages of FPK pascal?

> I have heard about the FPK pascal compiler.  I know very little, and have
> very little time available to try out different compilers without knowing
> what they offer.

check out:

(FPK Pascal)
  http://sun01.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pascal/fpk-pas/
  http://home.pages.de/~FPK-Pascal/"><tt>http://home.pages.de/~FPK-Pascal/

(GNU Pascal)
  ftp://kampi.hut.fi/jtv/gnu-pascal
  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~gnu-pascal/
  http://home.pages.de/~GNU-Pascal/"><tt>http://home.pages.de/~GNU-Pascal/

(compare FPK <-> GNU)
  ftp://kampi.hut.fi/jtv/gnu-pascal/FPKvsGNU

> Thanks, Brad
> BEVERNON

bye

Thomas.  \/
        (oo)   Mail: mailto:thomas.salva...@fernuni-hagen.de
      ~~ \/ ~~ WWW : http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q4307909/welcome.htm

Re:What are the advantages of FPK pascal?

I hear that FPK pascal dosn't have the mem[] array. I guess it doesn't
have the seg or ofs functions either. So, can you do ANY direct memory
addressing with FPK pascal?
-Patrick-

Re:What are the advantages of FPK pascal?

Hi, Brad.  I am pursuing the same path as you.  Yesterday I d/l'ed version
65 and used the upgrade to bring it to .66.

I found a lot of docs that are incomplete and al list of incompatibilities
w/ TP.  Your best bet is to go to the FPK site, d/l it and see what is up.

Shucks I still haven' been able to figure out how to compile their simple
'Hello" source program with the way their docs are written.  I just sent a
msg to this effect to their tech support - but it is a freebie so... who
knows when they will respond.

The docs are very poor IMHO.  So this is a big curve to get around IMHO.
The docs are in HTML - they look good but there isn't much content so far -
and this is their latest version.

The author claims he has been working about five hours per week since
around 1993.  Hmmm.

What will you get?

Well if you can get it to work you will get:

1. The ability to run your DOS apps as 32-bit apps under DOS, any Win,
     OS/2 in a DOS box.

     So hopefully less hassle from  the Win fanatics who won't look at any
    DOS apps.  Period.

Well now you can say it is a 32 bit apps and maybe they will try it.

2. Your apps should run faster.
3.  You will get more precision if your program needs it in the math
department.
3. You can avoid converting your apps to one platform like Win
4.  A simple recompile should do it - if you don't run into their
 incompatibilities problem.

One big compatibility problem the FPK docs list:

(* ...*) - they don't handle this but they do handled nested {{...}} - so
they say.

No overlays are nec. - they don't handle it because of this and they use
the flat memory model.  So out with the overlays.

They don't handle TV - they call it "Free TV" - yet.

There is a lengthy list of incompatibilities.  Best to check their docs to
find out how it will effect your apps.

FYI, GNU also supplies a free 32-bit Pascal that runs under DOS and it has
a IDE called EMX.  FPK is a command line compiler.

The GNU Pascal compiler will be somewhat compatible but some say the FPK
Pascal is closer to Borland's TP 6.0 & BP 7.0.  Maybe  not.

It is a shot at converting our apps that may prove to be a waste of both
our time.  Got a better alternative?

I have Delphi 1.0 and 2.0 and while it is easier than C++/MFC - it is not
'easy'.  I think you will find other experienced Pascal pgmers her who can
attest to hitting a 'paradign wall' in trying to change to Delphi.

Then there is JAVA.  But can it really be used to create a apps once and
run it on any platform?  It seems like most of the language vendors are
jumping on the band wagon but which one to get?

Java has a lot of neat capabilities - no {*word*193} pointers, OOPs without the
headaches, etc. but...

Regards, -= Lou Rizzuto =-

j...@mhv.net   - remove the hyphen to email me.

BEVERNON <bever...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970602124600.IAA18...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

Louis J. Rizzuto (j...@mhv.net) wrote:
: I found a lot of docs that are incomplete and al list of incompatibilities
: w/ TP.  Your best bet is to go to the FPK site, d/l it and see what is up.

I just got new docs from Florian
and will put them on the Web server tomorrow.

: Shucks I still haven' been able to figure out how to compile their simple
: 'Hello" source program with the way their docs are written.  I just sent a
: msg to this effect to their tech support - but it is a freebie so... who
: knows when they will respond.

You sent the questions to me but I'm not technical support,
just the maintainer of the WEB page.
Questions should be sent to the mailing list.
I will try to answer your questions in an e-mail tomorrow.
Please send me the error message that you got
when you tried to compile the hello world program.

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg
hartn...@uni-freiburg.de   http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/

Re:What are the advantages of FPK pascal?

Louis J. Rizzuto (j...@mhv.net) wrote:

[ .. FPK .. ]

: FYI, GNU also supplies a free 32-bit Pascal that runs under DOS and it has
: a IDE called EMX.  FPK is a command line compiler.

There are several ports of GNU Pascal (GPC)

- OS/2 & DOS (EMX) - EMX is not an IDE, but a DOS extender to allow the same
apps to run as native 32-bit OS/2 apps and to run as 32-bit apps under DOS

- DOS (DJGPP) - there is an IDE called RHIDE which is similar to the BP IDE.

- LINUX

- Various Unix platforms (e.g., FreeBSD, etc.)

- Win32 (CYGWIN32 - still under development - current version is beta 18)

: The GNU Pascal compiler will be somewhat compatible but some say the FPK
: Pascal is closer to Borland's TP 6.0 & BP 7.0.  Maybe  not.

GPC's BP compatibility is improving all the time. I have just recently
released a new version of BPCOMPAT - a GPC port of BP's RTL functions. In my
package, you have the following units; SYSTEM, OBJECTS, STRINGS, CRT, DOS,
SYSUTILS, GPCUTIL, and Pascal units which import most of the functions in
the C library (which you can call as freely as native Pascal functions).

A new version of BPCOMPAT is being worked on by a number of people. The main
advantages of GPC are portability - to all the platforms mentioned above, and
more besides (basically, GPC can be compiled for any platform supported by
the GNU C compiler) - and, fast code - the compiler uses the GNU C compiler
back end, and as you know, the GNU C compiler is highly optimized - and you
can have optional optmizations for most Intel CPUs.

To find out more about GPC, subscribe to the GPC list: g...@hut.fi

To download, try;

For Win32;
ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/home/janjaap/cygwin32/

For the rest;
ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/gnu-pascal/alpha/

BTW: the GPC team are happy for anyone to contribute to the project. No
contribution is too little - even if it is just to contribute one or two of
your own functions to improve the BP/Delphi compatibility.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 3.60 for Win16 and Win32:
           Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
           http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
           ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief350.zip

Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:

> I hear that FPK pascal dosn't have the mem[] array. I guess it doesn't
> have the seg or ofs functions either. So, can you do ANY direct memory
> addressing with FPK pascal?
> -Patrick-

I really hate FPK Pascal. Simply because it doesn't have a
BASM-compatible ASM. Pardon me but TMT Pascal is really a winner in
Pascal compilers.

Vinson ABS wrote:

> Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:

> > I hear that FPK pascal dosn't have the mem[] array. I guess it doesn't
> > have the seg or ofs functions either. So, can you do ANY direct memory
> > addressing with FPK pascal?
> > -Patrick-
> I really hate FPK Pascal. Simply because it doesn't have a
> BASM-compatible ASM. Pardon me but TMT Pascal is really a winner in
> Pascal compilers.

Is TMT Pascal 32 bit and where can you get it???

-Patrick-

Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
> Is TMT Pascal 32 bit and where can you get it???

Yes, and though it's a commercial product, a working demo is available
at http://www.tmt.com (go figure.  ;-)

set...@ix.netcom.com | scheduled chaos and mayhem. . . .  |

Re:What are the advantages of FPK pascal?

Louis J. Rizzuto (j...@mhv.net) wrote:

> FYI, GNU also supplies a free 32-bit Pascal that runs under DOS and it has
> a IDE called EMX.  FPK is a command line compiler.

Almost. ;-)  EMX is an environment to create 32-bit applications for DOS
and OS/2 GNU Pascal works with.  There is another such environment, called
DJGPP.  GNU Pascal's IDE under DOS/DJGPP (Linux support is in beta test
stage :-) is called RHIDE.

> The GNU Pascal compiler will be somewhat compatible but some say the FPK
> Pascal is closer to Borland's TP 6.0 & BP 7.0.  Maybe  not.

While compatibility to TP/BP is one of the major goals in the FPK Pascal
project, GNU Pascal stresses portability and runs on more platforms
(including DOS, Windoze95/NT, OS/2, Linux, and most other flavours of UNIX).
For more details, see ftp://kampi.hut.fi/jtv/gnu-pascal/FPKvsGNU - a
comparision of both compilers I wrote together with Florian Klaempfl, the
author of FPK Pascal.

> It is a shot at converting our apps that may prove to be a waste of both
> our time.  Got a better alternative?

> I have Delphi 1.0 and 2.0 and while it is easier than C++/MFC - it is not
> 'easy'.  I think you will find other experienced Pascal pgmers her who can
> attest to hitting a 'paradign wall' in trying to change to Delphi.

With Delphi you are fixed to one and only one "operating system".  With
FPK Pascal you can choose between several operating systems on iX86
computers.

> Then there is JAVA.  But can it really be used to create a apps once and
> run it on any platform?

GNU Pascal aims towards that, too.

Vinson ABS (illus...@singnet.com.sg) wrote:

> I really hate FPK Pascal. Simply because it doesn't have a
> BASM-compatible ASM.

That's a pity.  How much did you pay Florian for his job?  How much of
your own work did you contribute to the project?  Please do not "hate"
something which has been brought to you by volunteers.  If it's not
useful for you, just don't use it.

> Pardon me but TMT Pascal is really a winner in
> Pascal compilers.

This may be.  But FPK Pascal is FREE SOFTWARE.  You can have the source,
study it, fix bugs, and improve everything you don't like.  Try this with
any proprietary compiler - no matter how good it is right now.  Since
Borland has decided that BP must die, BP *will* die.  In case Florian
decides not to maintain FPK Pascal any more, somebody else can jump in.

But I hope that he will continue.  Many programmers benefit from his work.

Regards,

    Peter

 Dipl.-Phys. Peter Gerwinski, Essen, Germany, free physicist and programmer
Reply e-mail to "uni-essen"   http://home.pages.de/~peter.gerwinski/ [970201]
instead of "NO-SPAM-PLEASE".  maintainer GNU Pascal [970510] kampi.hut.fi/gpc
Sorry for the inconvenience.  http://home.pages.de/~gnu-pascal/ [970125]

Patrick D. Rockwell <prockw...@thegrid.net> wrote in article
<3399B522.4...@thegrid.net>...

> I hear that FPK pascal dosn't have the mem[] array. I guess it doesn't
> have the seg or ofs functions either. So, can you do ANY direct memory
> addressing with FPK pascal?
> -Patrick-

I am learning FPK myself.  Just started last week.  I have heard it is
pretty good.

As far as memory is concerned FPK uses the 'flat memory model' - no more
640K limits - no overlays needed(?).  Definitely not  supported.

Hence, totally different memory functions lib.

That is about it for now.

Regards, -= Lou =-

RINI
j...@mhv.net (Remove hyphen.)