Need help with Delphi 2.0 project

Greetings.  I've been given a project at work which involves modifying a
Delphi 2.0
application.

I've been programing in many other environments like Microsoft VC++ and Unix
C, but I have
not done anything with Delphi.

The project involves modifying just a few lines of code, and recompiling the
project.

The problem I am having is I am encountering some error messages which I
don't know
how to solve them.

The first error I am getting is "Fatal Error:  Unit Printers was compiled
with a different version of Forms"
This sounds strange to me because I always thought you would just compile it
with whatever
compiler you have and it would just recompile it.  Maybe I am not
understanding the terminology

Another error I am getting tells me that there are various classes which are
not found.

I do eventually want to move this program to the most current version of
Delphi, but for the time
being I want to try and fix it in 2.0 so the end users have something to use
while I start a 2 or 3
month process of getting it up to date.

The questions I have are the following:

1) Does Borland no longer support Delphi 2.0?  Are patches and updates no
longer available?
 Can a support contract be bought?
2) Could someone point me to a good Delphi 2.0 book or web site, but one
which is geared
 twoards programmers who aren't familiar with the errors one might get on a
 Delphi 2.0 project
3) Are there any other references for Delphi 2.0 you might suggest?

Re:Need help with Delphi 2.0 project

With Delphi Professional you get the source of the libraries.

It is just possible that someone has tinkered with those.

If you have Professional, then simply try recompiling the entire
project - an option on the menu.

The 'missing classes' sound suspicious.

"Eric Levinson" <er...@zbroder.com> skrev i melding

> Greetings.  I've been given a project at work which involves modifying a
> Delphi 2.0
> application.

> I've been programing in many other environments like Microsoft VC++ and
Unix
> C, but I have
> not done anything with Delphi.

> The project involves modifying just a few lines of code, and recompiling
the
> project.

> The problem I am having is I am encountering some error messages which I
> don't know
> how to solve them.

> The first error I am getting is "Fatal Error:  Unit Printers was compiled
> with a different version of Forms"
> This sounds strange to me because I always thought you would just compile
it
> with whatever
> compiler you have and it would just recompile it.  Maybe I am not
> understanding the terminology

I remember that units compiled with 2.0 is not compatible with the patch
2.01. Could be possible to see this on unit date/times.

> Another error I am getting tells me that there are various classes which
are
> not found.

That has to do with installed components and/or search  paths. You need to
have all used components installed (may be 3rd party components used), and
you need to have all .dcu or .pas files on your project's path. Setting up a
project on a new computer may actually take quite some time and hassle...

--
Bjoerge Saether
Consultant / Developer

Re:Need help with Delphi 2.0 project

Yea, that's another thing, I have been searching Borland's site for patches
for 2.0, but it looks like the took everything 2.0 related off line.

Anyone know where else I might find patches and bug fixes for Delphi 2.0?

Eric Levinson <er...@zbroder.com> wrote in message

> Greetings.  I've been given a project at work which involves modifying a
> Delphi 2.0
> application.

> I've been programing in many other environments like Microsoft VC++ and
Unix
> C, but I have
> not done anything with Delphi.

> The project involves modifying just a few lines of code, and recompiling
the
> project.

> The problem I am having is I am encountering some error messages which I
> don't know
> how to solve them.

> The first error I am getting is "Fatal Error:  Unit Printers was compiled
> with a different version of Forms"
> This sounds strange to me because I always thought you would just compile
it
> with whatever
> compiler you have and it would just recompile it.  Maybe I am not
> understanding the terminology

> Another error I am getting tells me that there are various classes which
are
> not found.

If the project uses third party components which you won't have loaded in
the IDE at this stage, you get a bunch of warnings as the project loads.
However, if it loads OK, we can assume at least the visual components aren't
causing a problem.

If the project has been built using multiple directories for the source,
then you will get errors indicating that it can't find a unit or units.

If however the compiler is complaining that it can't find a certain class,
this is suspicious as it implies a required unit has not been included in
the source.

Do a complete rebuild and work on only the first few errors, as latter
errors are often spurious events flowing from the first.

Dave

Other Threads