Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional????

What happened to BDS? I just got an offer from CodeGear to pre-buy an
upgrade for Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional. No mention of the other
personalities. Is BDS now splitting back into C++builder, Delphi Win32,
Delphi DotNet, etc? It certainly isn't showing in the current Products
list.

Even though I don't write in any of these, there are times when I want
to mess around with them and especially the dotnet stuff is undoubtedly
going to be shoved down our throats some day in the not too distant
future, so I'd like to stay with at least being able to deal with it
if/when I have to.

So if we get the 2007 Delphi, would that plug into the BDS 2006 or
essentially replace it? Is there going to be an upgrade offer for BDS
2006 to BDS 2007? That is certainly what I was expecting?
--

Re:Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional????

CodeGear doesn't sell BDS.  Borland sells BDS.  BDS is a separate product
from Delphi (as strange as that may seem).  CodeGear sells only individual
personalities--from what I understand.

I imagine you'll get an upgrade notice (at some point) from Borland for BDS
2007--which is what I'll wait for.

--
David Cornelius
http://corneliusconcepts.com

Joe H wrote:
> What happened to BDS? I just got an offer from CodeGear to pre-buy an
> upgrade for Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional. No mention of the other
> personalities. Is BDS now splitting back into C++builder, Delphi Win32,
> Delphi DotNet, etc? It certainly isn't showing in the current Products
> list.

> Even though I don't write in any of these, there are times when I want
> to mess around with them and especially the dotnet stuff is undoubtedly
> going to be shoved down our throats some day in the not too distant
> future, so I'd like to stay with at least being able to deal with it
> if/when I have to.

> So if we get the 2007 Delphi, would that plug into the BDS 2006 or
> essentially replace it? Is there going to be an upgrade offer for BDS
> 2006 to BDS 2007? That is certainly what I was expecting?

The entire range appears to be getting an overhaul.

Where each personality, product and flavour fits is anyones guess at
this point.

Currently Codegear have BDS and the Turbo's, along with JBuilder,
Interbase and some others.  Future additions are things like PHP etc.

How they package them though, we will just have to wait and see.

The best place to keep up to date with these is Delpghi.Non-Tech.  Much
is rumour, but keep an eye out for posts from the CodeGear employees, in
particular Nick, Michael and Alen.

--
Robin.

Australian Bridal Accessories := http://www.bridalbuzz.com.au
Turbo for Noobs (a work in progress) := http://turbofornoobs.blogspot.com/

Re:Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional????

Joe,

> So if we get the 2007 Delphi, would that plug into the BDS 2006 or
> essentially replace it? Is there going to be an upgrade offer for BDS
> 2006 to BDS 2007? That is certainly what I was expecting?

Extrapolating [very] freely from questions that have been answered by both
Nick and Michael what I've got from it all is:
All of the products are or will soon be sold as individual products.
The [old ??] Developer Studio is obtainable by purchasing Software Assurance
for any one product.
As D2007W32 is first up ... if you buy the UG _and_ SA _everything_ that
comes down the pipe for the next year [with the exception of DPHP] is yours.

It's still all quite blurry around the edges and, as I indicated, I'm
extrapolating freely - although I *think* I'm on the right track.

Delphi hour tomorrow [at noon PST] ... hope Nick has all his ducks in a row
by then :)

--
DaveK

Re:Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional????

> CodeGear doesn't sell BDS.  Borland sells BDS.  BDS is a separate product
> from Delphi (as strange as that may seem).  CodeGear sells only individual
> personalities--from what I understand.

This is not correct.

Joe H wrote:
> What happened to BDS? I just got an offer from CodeGear to pre-buy an
> upgrade for Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional. No mention of the
> other personalities. Is BDS now splitting back into C++builder,
> Delphi Win32, Delphi DotNet, etc? It certainly isn't showing in the
> current Products list.

> Even though I don't write in any of these, there are times when I want
> to mess around with them and especially the dotnet stuff is
> undoubtedly going to be shoved down our throats some day in the not
> too distant future, so I'd like to stay with at least being able to
> deal with it if/when I have to.

> So if we get the 2007 Delphi, would that plug into the BDS 2006 or
> essentially replace it? Is there going to be an upgrade offer for BDS
> 2006 to BDS 2007? That is certainly what I was expecting?

It's a complete mess and, whether true or not, it gives the impression of
running around like a headless chicken.  Would one really buy from a firm
with such a lack of strategy?  Or is it just that the strategy has been
poorly communicated.

Users of the IDE would like to know.

David

Re:Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional????

Delphi 2007 for Win32 is essentially a point release. Delphi 2006.5, if
you will. Such is exactly the case with the compiler version, which will
be bumped by .5 to 18.5, sort of like what Borland did with Delphi 6
(v14.0) and Kylix 2 & 3 (v14.2 & v14.5). It's a "non-breaking release"
and the compiler does not include new features.

The FAQ tells all:
http://codegear.com/Products/Delphi/Delphi2007forWin32/Delphi2007forW...

Re:Delphi 2007 for Win32 Professional????

> Delphi 2007 for Win32 is essentially a point release. Delphi 2006.5, if
> you will. Such is exactly the case with the compiler version, which will
> be bumped by .5 to 18.5, sort of like what Borland did with Delphi 6
> (v14.0) and Kylix 2 & 3 (v14.2 & v14.5). It's a "non-breaking release"
> and the compiler does not include new features.

Please can we go back to proper version numbers then?
Delphi is targeted at a technical audience who understand the concept
of versions.

Cheers,

Chris

Joe H wrote:
> Even though I don't write in any of these,

        This is important; there are a lot of people like you.

> [...] there are times when I want
> to mess around with them and especially the dotnet stuff is
> undoubtedly going to be shoved down our throats some day in the not
> too distant future, so I'd like to stay with at least being able to
> deal with it if/when I have to.

        This release is targeted at people exactly like you. You get the
newest Win32 stuff early without having to wait for .NET to be done.
Then other personalities ship when ready and integrate into whatever
version of the Win32 Delphi IDE is current when they ship. You can
still use the 2006 .NET stuff, and you'll get the newer .NET stuff when
it's ready without having to wait for Win32 also.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
  Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:
> This release is targeted at people exactly like you. You get the
> newest Win32 stuff early without having to wait for .NET to be done.
> Then other personalities ship when ready and integrate into whatever
> version of the Win32 Delphi IDE is current when they ship. You can
> still use the 2006 .NET stuff, and you'll get the newer .NET stuff
> when it's ready without having to wait for Win32 also.

Thanks for the clarification but much of what you are saying does not
seem to be supported on the codegear site. They are making no claim
about other personalities being made available when ready and they
don't even list the BDS studio on their list of products. So AFAICT
unless you buy the $399 D2007 upgrade and then additionally the $360
annual maintenance/support contract ($759?) you would not receive
anything more than what you originally got. I've bought upgrades for
D2005 and D2006 for almost 1k so far in little more than a year and I
think overall the benefit over D7 is worth it. D2006 is now doing what
I need it to do and I generally like it a lot though D2005 was nothing
but headaches and crashes.  As much as I want Codegear to succeed, I'm
not in a position to cough up that much for what little seems to be
included in D2007.

If the Delphi 2007-win32 was offered as a pre-buy of BDS 2007 with the
other personalities promised at some later time, then I would be
inclined to buy it even if it cost as much as $600 (partly to support
codegear but also in anticipation of the future improvements). But I
have to say that $600 a year is probably my limit for this and the
upgrade must provide something that is convincingly worth the cost.
Developers have to make a living too.

Joe H wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification but much of what you are saying does not
> seem to be supported on the codegear site. They are making no claim
> about other personalities being made available when ready and they
> don't even list the BDS studio on their list of products. So AFAICT
> unless you buy the $399 D2007 upgrade and then additionally the $360
> annual maintenance/support contract ($759?) you would not receive
> anything more than what you originally got.

        That's right. I apologize if I didn't make my post clear enough, but I
didn't mean that the future releases would be free. I just meant that
*a lot* of people have been telling CodeGear/Borland that they want
Win32 updates sooner rather than later, so CodeGear has decided to do
more and earlier updates to the Win32 stuff.

        The plan is this, AFAICS:

1) Release a non-breaking Win32 update now.
2) Release a C++ update soon after that.
3) Release a .NET version that updates both of the above.

        I base that on this post from Michael Swindell in .non-tech:

> Yes, BCB is considered part of the Delphi family of products. Spacely
> is Delphi only but there is a C++ specific release in the works as
> well.  Followed by a Studio release that rolls the Win32 releases and
> the new .NET support together in a single update. We plan to have
> options for you to upgrade your C++ portion and add a subscription
> that will get you everything you need.

> > Will I be able to upgrade to BDS2007 from my BDS2006 and in what
> > time frame?

> Yes, you'll be able to do this in Highlander this summer, or
> individually in Spacely or Cogswell this spring. If you're using the
> Studio (ie both Delphi and C++ as you are) and you want everything,
> we plan to make that easy and cost effective to do that at any
> release point (Delphi, C++, or Studio) via subscriptions.
> If the Delphi 2007-win32 was offered as a pre-buy of BDS 2007 with the
> other personalities promised at some later time,

        AFAICS, it is if you buy software assurance (maintenance). Without SA,
it isn't.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
  Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
  Irish Tin Whistle tips: http://learningtowhistle.blogspot.com

Other Threads