Massive Internet Applications in Delphi ???

Is it possible to write an application like "ICQ" in Delphi?

If I need an application that can server thousands of users simulataneously
- is Delphi up to the task?

My application needs to be able support thousands of users who are
accessing "Applications Servers" that are querying SQL databases and
applying a bit of fuzzy logic before the users gets the results.

I know the front end can be done in Delphi, and I am guessing I would need
"Midas" as middle-ware, and Interbase or Oracle on the back-end.

Is the Delphi the right tool?

Does anyone know what ICQ is programmed in? (at www.mirabilis.com)

Can TCP/IP sockets support thousands of users? (I've written some TCP/IP
socket stuff before)

Help!

Thanks,
  Bill Holland
  hollandx @hotmail.com

Re:Massive Internet Applications in Delphi ???

> Is it possible to write an application like "ICQ" in Delphi?

I don't see any problem doing that with Delphi.

> If I need an application that can server thousands of users
simulataneously
> - is Delphi up to the task?

Yes. It's not a Delphi issue, it's a machine issue. You have to have a
machine large enough to handle the number of concurrent connections you
like.

> My application needs to be able support thousands of users who are
> accessing "Applications Servers" that are querying SQL databases and
> applying a bit of fuzzy logic before the users gets the results.

> I know the front end can be done in Delphi, and I am guessing I would
need
> "Midas" as middle-ware, and Interbase or Oracle on the back-end.

> Is the Delphi the right tool?

I think it's the right tool. Midas is not the only middleware you can use.
See for example the freeware "MidWare" at
http://www.rtfm.be/fpiette/midwareuk.htm

> Does anyone know what ICQ is programmed in? (at www.mirabilis.com)
> Can TCP/IP sockets support thousands of users? (I've written some TCP/IP
> socket stuff before)

Yes, on Windows-NT with enough RAM. ICQ uses UDP, so there is no sessions
and only ONE socket can receive all incomming datagrams.

Look at http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d95-mih/icq/ to get some infos
about ICQ protocol.

--

francois.pie...@ping.be
The freeware Internet Component Suite maker

Other Threads