Oracle connect error trapping

I am trying to write a procedure that would track any problems with the
Oracle Connect (wrong password).  I have tried the try except and
activating the datasources but that doesn't work as I get the identifier
error (I don't know why I am implementing this in the right pas file and
the datasource is clearly identified in the unit!).  I can't seem to
implement an application exception handling routine as by the time the
error is trapped I have BDE error messages that appears before my own.

Also, I could not get the BDE to work with Ora73win (on windows 3.11
(win32s and Netware 32 bit client)).  I had to use the ODBC that works!
Any suggestions on how to integrate the native BDE drivers!

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Paul!