First start D5 trouble (S3Virge based videocard)

Help me pls, i forgot, which key i must insert into WIN.INI (or, maybe,
SYSTEM.INI) in Win98. My computer hangs up, when i'm startting D5 on
S3-based videocard and see Delphi splash screen :(

Re:First start D5 trouble (S3Virge based videocard)

I suggest turning you hardware acceleration down to none.  If this fixes
the problem then you need to get a new video driver for your video card.
You can go to the manufacturer's web site, or www.s3.com.

--
Kind Regards,
Jusitn

the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of any
e-mail and any printout thereof.

Accelerate your Linux? application development with Kylix(TM), the RAD
tool for Linux. Easily integrate web, desktop and database development
to quickly deliver fast Linux applications. Kylix is the only Linux
development tool that combines the world's fastest compiler with the
most productive visual design environment for GUI, web and database
programming. Order your copy now!
http://www.borland.com/kylix/

Re:First start D5 trouble (S3Virge based videocard)

There is a bug in some video card drivers in the way they handle the ImageList
API.  When an ImageList is being built in memory that cards will freeze the
computer or corrupt the images when they have to swap the ImageList back out to
main memory to complete the building on large imagelist's like the 180+ image
component pallete list.  The S3 chipset has been particularly problematic (Win98
is even worse).

Try these

1) Get the latest driver (www.s3.com or your vendor if your vendors
doesn't work, try the S3 as they tend to be more compliant)
2) Start Delphi with the -ns switch
3) Under the [display] section of the SYSTEM.INI file
add the following line
    BusThrottle=1 (reboot afterwards)
4) Reboot in safe mode and start Delphi.  Goto the properties of the
component pallet and hide all the controls that you rarely use.  This
will reduce the imagelist that is getting built and might get you under
the threshold.
5) reduce the hardware acceleration for the card.
(display->properties->settings->advances->performance)
6) play with color depth/resolution  1024x768 in 16 bit color seems the
worse (particularly with Delphi 3).
7) Get the latest DirectX drivers.

Also Delphi 5 can not run in Win98 under 16 color mode.  You must be at
least at 256 colors.

PS.  If the BusThrottle works for you this is by far the
best solution.  All it does is instruct the driver that it must give a
little time slice to the OS so affects on performance are not noticable
(so far no one has reported back to me that they can even tell a
difference between using and not using the BusThrottle setting except
that Delphi runs).  Unfortunately not all drivers respect this setting.

"e? a???" wrote:

> Help me pls, i forgot, which key i must insert into WIN.INI (or, maybe,
> SYSTEM.INI) in Win98. My computer hangs up, when i'm startting D5 on
> S3-based videocard and see Delphi splash screen :(

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
The correct way to punctuate a sentence that starts: "Of course it is

Re:First start D5 trouble (S3Virge based videocard)

Thanks - "BusThrottle" had helped
:)

Other Threads