Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

I know that Borland will be eventually phasing out Database Desktop along
with the BDE but will there be a replacement for this wonderously useful
tool?

I know that most modern Delphi programmers don't use it as QBE takes a bit
of getting used to, but I came from the old Paradox stuff so for me the
learning curve was flat.  But I've not seen any tool that allows me to knock
together really complex queries in seconds and also allow me to save
intermediate query results and do cross-database queries and
insert/update/deletes.  The SQL tools (query builder) that come with Delphi
are a pretty poor show for fancy database manipulation and ad-hoc queries.

Database Desktop for ADO ?

Comments please

John Small

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

It's certainly useful but a bit ugly, if you ask me.  I'd rather that they
integrated its function into DB Explorer and updated the user interface -- I
don't think it's changed since 1972 ;-)

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

I too love the Database Desktop, primarily for it's ability to do easy
cross-platform queries, which I can do programatically, but it sure is
nice to be able to pop up DBD and just wail.

Of course I think I like the SQL Explorer even more than DBD, except for
some of the quircky behavior the SQL Explorer exhibits in certain areas.

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

Unfortunately DBD is a stripped down version of Paradox 7. Paradox now
belongs to Corel. Borland does not even have the right to recompile DBD let
along change it.

Bill
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

Unfortunately DBD is a stripped down version of Paradox 7. Paradox now
belongs to Corel. Borland does not even have the right to recompile DBD let
along change it.

Bill
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

Mmmm, yes you're right. So can I make a request that Borland does something
like DBD as the move to ADO progresses.  The things that I like about it,
and find I can't get the functionality elsewhere are;-

1) Cross platform queries,inserts,updates,deletes
2) The ability to quickly create SQL without alias names that are the same
as the original table (Query builder is v annoying in this respect)
3) The ability to save result sets and use them in other
queries,inserts,updates,deletes
4) QBE is quite cute for playing with queries before converting to SQL.

What I don't like is the fact that the fields are laid out horizontally so
for tables with long field names and lots of fields it's a bit awkard.

As Borland have the talent to do this kind of stuff better than MS, you
could make it a saleable ultility for those that don't buy Delphi

John Small

Bill Todd <b...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> Unfortunately DBD is a stripped down version of Paradox 7. Paradox now
> belongs to Corel. Borland does not even have the right to recompile DBD
let
> along change it.

> Bill
> --
> Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

We are not alone!  I, too, would be hard-done-by without DBD.

Mike

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

I would like to see a expanded version of DB Explorer with table metadata
editing capabilities (without using SQL).

Would be nice to have something like SQL Central from Sybase.

--
Karlheinz Spaeth

Re:Am I alone in loving Database Desktop?

John!

I have loved it. And I still love QBE (though Local SQL is better for
calculating aggregated values and some other neat tricks). Since I got
myselfe an ass-kicking (is that legal language in this newsgroup?) machine
(400Mhz, 256MB) I use Paradox 8. It works good enough, it's nice and on my
machine there's hardly much difference in loading time between Paradox 8
and DBD. Paradox 8 is cheap.

/Dany

--
Reply to/svara till: d...@uni-x.se