BDE - Any problems with Crystal Reports Integration?

First of all, this may be just a Crystal Reports problem, but I'm
posting this message just in case (I've already sent an e-mail to the
Crystal Reports folks).  The problem we are having is with the Crystal
Reports p2bbde.dll driver - it can use indexes for faster searching, but
keeps giving us error messages when reports contain memo fields.  We're
using DBASE IV, C++Builder 4, and Crystal Reports 7.

Bill Bream
Lead Programmer
Insight Medical Systems

Re:BDE - Any problems with Crystal Reports Integration?

Bill!

I'm late so I'll be brief. I have used CR with Paradox tables and BDE since
CR 4.5. I have seen lots of bugs introduced at every upgrade. I jumped 7.0.
When 6 was introduced CR started using indexes a lot less and some selection
formulas even stoped working. When I upgraded to 8.0 the index drawback
seemed to have gone away (but I'm not 100% on this since I did some
workarounds back in 6.0). 8.0 was very bad for me - some reports lost pages
of data! 8.5 was much better - only one annoying thing so far - and here is
what's similar to you problem, keep in mind I'm using paradox tables, not
DBASE. On some reports using some complex linking memo-fields was not
displayed for some records. I have had an e-mail discussion with 50+ e-mails
with Seagate, but their junior techs just have a paper they follow - they
don't think. After 50 or so e-mails (2 months) they usually pass you on to
someone else. This someone confirmed that something was strange. He
suggested I use ODBC! I told him this is no option because of various
things. Then our discussion just ended and since he has not come back to me!
If you want, I can e-mail you the thread and my "bug reporduction" zip-file.
All of which has been part of the issue with Crystal. I have solved my
particular problem by removing tables from the reports in question and
calculating the summaries in subreports with shared variables. This was
possible in my case so I have not pursued the issue further. Seagate support
is slow and it takes a lot of valuable time to write theese long e-mails and
going though their "standard support scheme".

/Dany

"Bill Bream" <b...@insightmed.com> skrev i meddelandet

> First of all, this may be just a Crystal Reports problem, but I'm
> posting this message just in case (I've already sent an e-mail to the
> Crystal Reports folks).  The problem we are having is with the Crystal
> Reports p2bbde.dll driver - it can use indexes for faster searching, but
> keeps giving us error messages when reports contain memo fields.  We're
> using DBASE IV, C++Builder 4, and Crystal Reports 7.

> Bill Bream
> Lead Programmer
> Insight Medical Systems

Re:BDE - Any problems with Crystal Reports Integration?

http://support.crystaldecisions.com/library/kbase/articles/c2002554.asp
I used Delphi with Crystal and Dbase and the answer was it don't work with
memo fields.

Bill Bream <b...@insightmed.com> wrote in message

> First of all, this may be just a Crystal Reports problem, but I'm
> posting this message just in case (I've already sent an e-mail to the
> Crystal Reports folks).  The problem we are having is with the Crystal
> Reports p2bbde.dll driver - it can use indexes for faster searching, but
> keeps giving us error messages when reports contain memo fields.  We're
> using DBASE IV, C++Builder 4, and Crystal Reports 7.

> Bill Bream
> Lead Programmer
> Insight Medical Systems

Other Threads