DataFlex

We have purchased (before we started doing internal development) a product
that uses DataFlex (www.dataaccess.com) as a backend. It is running on a
Unix box so I believe it is version 3.2.

Does anyone know how to connect to this backend to pull some info off it?

We do have a terminal emulation program that offers "SMB access to the AIX
server" (that is how the tech support person said it). Is there any way we
can use that?

Ross

Re:DataFlex

In article <3b6169a1$1_1@dnews>, polk...@hotmail.com says...
> We have purchased (before we started doing internal development) a product
> that uses DataFlex (www.dataaccess.com) as a backend. It is running on a
> Unix box so I believe it is version 3.2.

> Does anyone know how to connect to this backend to pull some info off it?

> We do have a terminal emulation program that offers "SMB access to the AIX
> server" (that is how the tech support person said it). Is there any way we
> can use that?

> Ross

You probably need the DataFlex development environment.

Re:DataFlex

I am afraid of this. We are developing everything and Delphi and don't want
to move away from that. We are just looking to pull a few table and fields
from this application. It is not a huge issue if we can't but it would be
one less place for information to be duplicated.

Ross

Re:DataFlex

In article <3b6198dc_1@dnews>, polk...@hotmail.com says...
> I am afraid of this. We are developing everything and Delphi and don't want
> to move away from that. We are just looking to pull a few table and fields
> from this application. It is not a huge issue if we can't but it would be
> one less place for information to be duplicated.

> Ross

Well, they have drivers to connect through Crystal Reports I believe.  I
haven't used DataFlex but I worked on a project to convert a DataFlex
app to Interbase and Delphi.  We did a complete database re-design.  I
(fortunately) didn't do the legacy data conversion, but I understand
they output the data through Crystal Reports into some text file format,
and converted that over to Interbase.

HTH,
Ed

Re:DataFlex

The Dataflex run-time comes with a program called dfquery that can be used
to export Dataflex files to ASCII text files.
Andy Mackie
Ross <polk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3b6169a1$1_1@dnews...
> We have purchased (before we started doing internal development) a product
> that uses DataFlex (www.dataaccess.com) as a backend. It is running on a
> Unix box so I believe it is version 3.2.

> Does anyone know how to connect to this backend to pull some info off it?

> We do have a terminal emulation program that offers "SMB access to the AIX
> server" (that is how the tech support person said it). Is there any way we
> can use that?

> Ross

Re:DataFlex

Hello Ross!

There is a lot of ways.

1. You can use DfQuery to output data to ASCII-files (look for
dfquery.exe)

2. You can use an ODBC-driver like FlexODBC.

3. You can convert the dataflex database to another databaseengine
like Oracle, DB2, MS Sql Server, Pervasive (you need some dataflex
expertise to do this.)

4. You can of course use Crystal Reports with an DataFlex driver.

5. etc.....

BR
Geir Thorrud
Pathfinder AS

"Ross" <polk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message <news:3b6169a1$1_1@dnews>...
> We have purchased (before we started doing internal development) a product
> that uses DataFlex (www.dataaccess.com) as a backend. It is running on a
> Unix box so I believe it is version 3.2.

> Does anyone know how to connect to this backend to pull some info off it?

> We do have a terminal emulation program that offers "SMB access to the AIX
> server" (that is how the tech support person said it). Is there any way we
> can use that?

> Ross

Re:DataFlex

Ross <polk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3b6169a1$1_1@dnews...
> We have purchased (before we started doing internal development) a product
> that uses DataFlex (www.dataaccess.com) as a backend. It is running on a
> Unix box so I believe it is version 3.2.

> Does anyone know how to connect to this backend to pull some info off it?

> We do have a terminal emulation program that offers "SMB access to the AIX
> server" (that is how the tech support person said it). Is there any way we
> can use that?

There are number of ways you can do this, probably in order of preference.

1) Get Flex/ODBC from FlexTools. It is an ODBC driver for DataFlex. I've
never tried it with a Unix backend though. DataFlex used to have a
consistent file format regardless of the operating system. This meant you
could copy a DataFlex set of files from a Unix machine and have them work on
a Windows machine, so if all else fails you could try this method.
http://www.flextools.com/products/flexodbc.htm
2) Use DFQuery from the DataFlex runtime to do ad hoc queries.
3) Write a DataFlex program to generate the output you want.

Christopher Latta

Re:DataFlex

The DataFlex file format was consistant across OS's.  If you have file
access to the Unix box or can copy the files to the Windows boxes, ypu
can easily get at the data with a 3rd party ODBC driver like Flex/ODBC
(http://www.flextools.com/products/FlexODBC.htm)

If you just want to get at the data, the DataFlex development system
includes a utility for querying out the data to ascii files.  When I
used DataFlex, it was called DFQuery, but I think it's called DFQ now.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:18:09 -0500, "Ross" <polk...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>We have purchased (before we started doing internal development) a product
>that uses DataFlex (www.dataaccess.com) as a backend. It is running on a
>Unix box so I believe it is version 3.2.

>Does anyone know how to connect to this backend to pull some info off it?

>We do have a terminal emulation program that offers "SMB access to the AIX
>server" (that is how the tech support person said it). Is there any way we
>can use that?

>Ross

Chris Miller
VersaTrans Solutions, Inc.

Re:DataFlex

We have an existing package that was developed in Dataflex. If we need to
write a Delphi application that needs to interact with it, we use Connex's
ODBC driver. Flexquarters makes one as well that works, but is slow on large
record sets.
"Ross" <polk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3b6169a1$1_1@dnews...
> We have purchased (before we started doing internal development) a product
> that uses DataFlex (www.dataaccess.com) as a backend. It is running on a
> Unix box so I believe it is version 3.2.

> Does anyone know how to connect to this backend to pull some info off it?

> We do have a terminal emulation program that offers "SMB access to the AIX
> server" (that is how the tech support person said it). Is there any way we
> can use that?

> Ross

Re:DataFlex

Do you have a website for Connex?