Access 2000 vs MSSQL 7 for single user, high transaction volumes

Hi

I would like to know how Access 2000 will perform in a high transaction
environment. I will be using it in a Point-of-Sale environment as a single
user database and replicate the data to a backoffice server. Is Access 2000
sufficient or should I move to SQL 7 ?

Regards
Werner

Re:Access 2000 vs MSSQL 7 for single user, high transaction volumes

I would use MSDE which is SQL Server 7.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Access 2000 vs MSSQL 7 for single user, high transaction volumes

A single-user POS is not a very high demand on a database. Older
versions of Access used a page locking scheme that was slow and
contributed to transaction collisions. Access 2000 can implement
record-level locking and is perfectly acceptable for multiple users as
long as the DB is local.
All that said, if you are using a more robust db in the backoffice,
and you have only a single user in the store, you might want to
explore some direct connect solutions and skip the local DB.
This certainly will simplify your design, may cost you less in
licensing, simplify support, and may make scaling up more feasible.

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 11:48:05 +0200, "Werner Hubsch"
<werne...@mweb.co.za> , in borland.public.delphi.database.desktop,
wrote:

>Hi

>I would like to know how Access 2000 will perform in a high transaction
>environment. I will be using it in a Point-of-Sale environment as a single
>user database and replicate the data to a backoffice server. Is Access 2000
>sufficient or should I move to SQL 7 ?

>Regards
>Werner

Other Threads