Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

   Anyone experienced problems trying to install BDE (well, in fact the whole installer does not work - setting compatibility as Win98 starts the installation, but has an "Merge failed" error, BDE admin won't save any alias) on systems with Windows XP Home or Pro?
   I can't install properly the BDE, so my program starts with a crash...

Thanks in advance
Adrian

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

Are you running as Administrator when you install the BDE?
--
Finn Tolderlund

"Adrian Haussman" <exac...@rdsor.com> skrev i en meddelelse

>    I can't install properly the BDE, so my program starts with a crash...

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

    Yes, I do. In fact the autorun won't go further than displaying the first menu. I found an Install.exe that I suppossed would install the BDE, I run it, using compatibility set as Win98, but at a certain moment sais "Merge error" and BDE admin cannot save the aliases I make.
   Is there somewhere an BDE package/install kit, stand-alone that I can download? Is there a version for XP?

regards,
Adrian

"Finn Tolderlund" <n...@spam.dk> wrote:
>Are you running as Administrator when you install the BDE?
>--
>Finn Tolderlund

>"Adrian Haussman" <exac...@rdsor.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>>    I can't install properly the BDE, so my program starts with a crash...

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

I just found http://www.topyachtsoftware.com/v5bde/SetupBDE5V11.exe, I am
curious what and how. Borland has only updates (as far as I know), but I
cannot install Builder everywhere just to have the BDE! In fact, doesn't
even work, how I said, the BCB CD only shows the first window, the install
is not working at all on XP.

Regards
Adrian

"Finn Tolderlund" <n...@spam.dk> wrote in message

> "Adrian Haussman" <adria...@yahooo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> >     Yes, I do. In fact the autorun won't go further than displaying the
> first menu. I found an Install.exe that I >suppossed would install the
BDE,
> I run it, using compatibility set as Win98, but at a certain moment sais
> "Merge >error" and BDE admin cannot save the aliases I make.

> Sounds like that Install.exe is no good.

Works perfectly on Win98!

> >    Is there somewhere an BDE package/install kit, stand-alone that I can
> download?

> I think that would be against the license agreement.

> But if you have Delphi 5 then you can use the InstallShield Express on the
> CD to create a simple install program for the BDE. I have done that, and
it
> can install the BDE without problems on XP.

This is an idea.

> --
> Finn Tolderlund

Thanks

"Adrian Hausmann" <adria...@yahooo.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> I just found http://www.topyachtsoftware.com/v5bde/SetupBDE5V11.exe, I am
> curious what and how.

I'm curious what Borland thinks of a free download of the BDE?
http://www.topyachtsoftware.com/v6download.php3

>  I cannot install Builder everywhere just to have the BDE!

Of course you do not install Builder everywhere!
Simply create your own BDE install program the way I wrote.
--
Finn Tolderlund

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

What version of C++ Builder are you using?

What version of the BDE are you using?

As Finn said, all of the recent versions of C++ Builder come with
InstallSheild Express which lets you build installation disks for your
app or the BDE or both. Note that this may not work if the version of
the BDE that you are trying to install is not the version that came
with the version of C++ Builder that you are using.

AFAIK you should be able to install the BDE as long as you are logged
in as Administrator. Many others have.

If you need a stand alone BDE installer you can download one at
http://ibinstall.defined.net .

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:53:18 +0200, "Adrian Hausmann"

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

> What version of the BDE are you using?

BDE Administrator sais 5.01.

> As Finn said, all of the recent versions of C++ Builder come with
> InstallSheild Express which lets you build installation disks for your
> app or the BDE or both. Note that this may not work if the version of
> the BDE that you are trying to install is not the version that came
> with the version of C++ Builder that you are using.

I am working on it now.

> AFAIK you should be able to install the BDE as long as you are logged
> in as Administrator. Many others have.

I tryied to install the BDE usin the BCB CD (I thought to customize the
install, letting only the BDE) but the autorun shows the first window, and
nothing else starts from there. The sistem I was trying to install BDE to is
a laptop, single user (therefore the user is his own administrator), running
XP Home. (He is not at all satisfied with XP, sais that always hangs). There
is no other account on that XP, guest is deactivated.

> If you need a stand alone BDE installer you can download one at
> http://ibinstall.defined.net .

I'll try it. Finally, BDE installer can be (re)distributed freely? On my CD,
a last minute notice sais yes..

Regards
Adrian

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

Just to let you all know that I am having exactly the same problem.  The BDE
installes but Database Desktop fails with the following error:  Could not
Initialize the BDE:  Insufficient Shared Memory Available.

I can enter the BDE administrator but it will not allow me to enter any new
alias' or anything else for that matter.  Another strange thing is that the
config file is missing and the BDE adminstrator tries to create a new one
but cannot save any changes to the file.  I am running Windows XP home
edition with Delphi 5 Update 1.  I have tried to download the new versions
of the BDE and have had no luck.

If anyone comes up with a solution to this problem please let me know as
will I if I find a solution.

Regards
Trickster

"Adrian Hausmann" <adria...@yahooo.com> wrote in message

> > What version of the BDE are you using?

> BDE Administrator sais 5.01.

> > As Finn said, all of the recent versions of C++ Builder come with
> > InstallSheild Express which lets you build installation disks for your
> > app or the BDE or both. Note that this may not work if the version of
> > the BDE that you are trying to install is not the version that came
> > with the version of C++ Builder that you are using.

> I am working on it now.

> > AFAIK you should be able to install the BDE as long as you are logged
> > in as Administrator. Many others have.

> I tryied to install the BDE usin the BCB CD (I thought to customize the
> install, letting only the BDE) but the autorun shows the first window, and
> nothing else starts from there. The sistem I was trying to install BDE to
is
> a laptop, single user (therefore the user is his own administrator),
running
> XP Home. (He is not at all satisfied with XP, sais that always hangs).
There
> is no other account on that XP, guest is deactivated.

> > If you need a stand alone BDE installer you can download one at
> > http://ibinstall.defined.net .

> I'll try it. Finally, BDE installer can be (re)distributed freely? On my
CD,
> a last minute notice sais yes..

> Regards
> Adrian

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

While first time I have noticed that starting a new instance of BDEAdmin, I
already had the alias that I tryied to save unsuccesfully in the previous!
And so, four times (Ihad 4 aliases) - and there they are!

http://ibinstall.defined.net will do the trick

Well, installing the new BDE, this worked from the first time. Now I have
problems with the app itself, but this is another story.

trickster <tricks...@icon.co.za> wrote in message

> Just to let you all know that I am having exactly the same problem.  The
BDE
> installes but Database Desktop fails with the following error:  Could not
> Initialize the BDE:  Insufficient Shared Memory Available.

> I can enter the BDE administrator but it will not allow me to enter any
new
> alias' or anything else for that matter.  Another strange thing is that
the
> config file is missing and the BDE adminstrator tries to create a new one
> but cannot save any changes to the file.  I am running Windows XP home
> edition with Delphi 5 Update 1.  I have tried to download the new versions
> of the BDE and have had no luck.

> If anyone comes up with a solution to this problem please let me know as
> will I if I find a solution.

> Regards
> Trickster

Re:Using/installing BDE on Win XP Home/Pro

>> If you need a stand alone BDE installer you can download one at
>> http://ibinstall.defined.net .

>I'll try it. Finally, BDE installer can be (re)distributed freely? On my CD,
>a last minute notice sais yes..

If you want to see what is envolved in creating a custom BDE installer
you can also download one (w/source) at:
http://www.dpassmore.com

Other Threads