A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

Hi there, delphists :)

Sorry to interfere :
I'm an alien here, since I'm coming from the C++ / ILOG Views world and know
absolutely nothing about Delphi (nor Object Pascal, by the way).
Could you suggest me a good book for *learning* Delphi (with exercises if
possible, but that's not mandatory) ?
Don't forget I'm a newbie, so I will appreciate any book whose clarity is
exceptional.

Many thanks !

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

xav.me wrote in message <917991424.756781@si1-paris>...
>Could you suggest me a good book for *learning* Delphi (with exercises if
>possible, but that's not mandatory) ?

There are only four Delphi 4 books as far as I know.  They all have some good points.

Find Amazon links to these Delphi 4 books (and nearly every Delphi book)
at:  www.efg2.com/lab/TechBooks/Delphi.htm

efg
_________________________________
efg's Computer Lab:       www.efg2.com/lab

Overland Park, KS  USA

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

 Hi "xav.me" <xav...@infonie.fr>;

 This is a public reply to your message posted:
 From group: comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc;  on Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:33:34 +0100
 Concerning "A good book to learn Delphi 4...?";

~ > Hi there, delphists :)
~ >
~ > Sorry to interfere :
~ > I'm an alien here, since I'm coming from the C++ / ILOG Views world and know
~ > absolutely nothing about Delphi (nor Object Pascal, by the way).
~ > Could you suggest me a good book for *learning* Delphi (with exercises if
~ > possible, but that's not mandatory) ?
~ > Don't forget I'm a newbie, so I will appreciate any book whose clarity is
~ > exceptional.

  DON'T buy Delphi4 Bible by Tom Swan.  It is extremely badly organized
  poorly explained, and generally awful.

  Cordially;

--
 Friar Broccoli
 Robert Keith Elias  (Quebec, Qc, Canada)   Address: kel...@CLIC.NET

 --------- I consider ALL arguments in support of my views ---------

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

I recommend "Borland Delphi 4 Developer's Guide"  written by
Teixeira & Pacheco

Earl F. Glynn wrote in message <797sli$...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>...
>xav.me wrote in message <917991424.756781@si1-paris>...
>>Could you suggest me a good book for *learning* Delphi (with exercises if
>>possible, but that's not mandatory) ?

>There are only four Delphi 4 books as far as I know.  They all have some
good points.

>Find Amazon links to these Delphi 4 books (and nearly every Delphi book)
>at:  www.efg2.com/lab/TechBooks/Delphi.htm

>efg
>_________________________________
>efg's Computer Lab:       www.efg2.com/lab

>Earl F. Glynn     E-Mail:  EarlGl...@att.net
>Overland Park, KS  USA

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

>   "xav.me" <xav...@infonie.fr> writes:
>  Hi there, delphists :)
>  I'm an alien here, since I'm coming from the C++ / ILOG Views world and know
>  absolutely nothing about Delphi (nor Object Pascal, by the way).
>  Could you suggest me a good book for *learning* Delphi (with exercises if
>  possible, but that's not mandatory) ?

Dont limit your choices to delphi4 books. If you are a beginner you could use any delphi book to get started. When I got Delphi 2 I only found some delphi 1 books to
start with. But they were very good to get going. The fundamentals are the same.
And I guess books aimed at Delphi 2 for example are on sale here and there so why not start with something there and when you get going you can aim for a book on
a more specialized subject.
There are also several internet sites with free step by step tutorials for learning delphi.

johan

On 3 Feb 99 07:39:50 GMT, jo...@lindgren.pp.se wrote:

>There are also several internet sites with free step by step tutorials for learning delphi.

Care to give the www address? Would appreciate it.
kong

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

>   kon...@pc.jaring.my (Kong) writes:
>  On 3 Feb 99 07:39:50 GMT, jo...@lindgren.pp.se wrote:

>  >There are also several internet sites with free step by step tutorials for learning delphi.

>  Care to give the www address? Would appreciate it.

I would if I had them saved. I know I have looked at several but I have not kept the URL's. So I'm sorry but if nobody else can provide that I guess you would have to
search for delphi and tutor or something like that.

johan

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:53:16 GMT, kon...@pc.jaring.my (Kong) wrote:
>On 3 Feb 99 07:39:50 GMT, jo...@lindgren.pp.se wrote:

>>There are also several internet sites with free step by step tutorials for learning delphi.

>Care to give the www address? Would appreciate it.
>kong

You could check out any of the major delphi pages.. they usually have
links to different tutorials.

But what I would suggest it that you join the "personal bookshelf" at
McMillan books (http://www.mcp.com/personal/). They have the "Sam's
Learn Delphi 4 in 21 days) online for free. The membership is free of
course.

They still havn't published any other delphi books (bummer..) - but I
know that quite a few of those "xxx unleashed" books are available for
other languages (java etc.), so maybe some more delphi books will show
up soon.

/Anders E

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

Charlie Calverrt's Delphi4 Unleashed is out.  I saw it the other day in a
bookstore...

********************************
Michael Glatz
glatzfa...@aol.com
mgl...@briefcase.com

On 4 Feb 1999 13:54:56 GMT, glatzfa...@aol.com (Glatzfamly) wrote:

>Charlie Calverrt's Delphi4 Unleashed is out.  I saw it the other day in a
>bookstore...

Yes, I know it's out there :) Maybe I expressed myself in a hazy way -
what I meant was that there isn't any other Delphi books besides "Sams
21-days" in the mcp personal bookshelf :)
/Anders E

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

>know
>absolutely nothing about Delphi (nor Object Pascal, by the way).
>Could you suggest me a good book for *learning* Delphi (with exercises if
>possible,

I recently started programming in Delphi after 5 years of VB.  I was extremely
pleased with Teaching Yourself Borland Delphi 4 in 21 Days by Reisdorph.  It
gave me an excellent foundation in the basics and there are excercises at the
end of each chapter.  Once you have digested that book, you should definitely
buy Borland Delphi 4 Developer's Guide by Teixeira & Pacheco.

I have heard that Charlie Calvert's book and Marco Cantu's book are also very
good.

I agree with another contributor that Tom Swan's book was disappointing, but I
wouldn't be as harsh as he was.  I have learned some things from it, as well.

Just my opinion!

Bob

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

I would recommend Sams Teach Yourself Borland Delphi 4 in 21 Days, which is
excellent. There are some reviews and other information on this book at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672312867/bibs

Hope this helps,

Paul.

In article <36b7fd4...@d2o30.telia.com>,

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:06:16 GMT, paulw...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>I would recommend Sams Teach Yourself Borland Delphi 4 in 21 Days, which is
>excellent. There are some reviews and other information on this book at:
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672312867/bibs

I concur. This is, IMHO, a great intro for beginners. I feel I learn
better from a course-type outline, which is exactly what's found in
this text.

Cary D. Beuershausen
Senior Systems Consultant

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

Best book I've seen is Delphi 2 Developers Guide.  I imagine there is a
Delphi 4 version by now.  A lot of the books are just "this is how you drag
and drop" (I have quite a collection), but this book is more advanced, and I
believe it will be better for you if you have some experience programming
already.  It is published by Borland Press, and the authors are Pacheco and
Teixeira.  Bet they have the latest version at Amazon.

Bob

paulw...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message

<7b6ka1$fi...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I would recommend Sams Teach Yourself Borland Delphi 4 in 21 Days, which is
>excellent. There are some reviews and other information on this book at:
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672312867/bibs

>Hope this helps,

>Paul.

>In article <36b7fd4...@d2o30.telia.com>,
>  jo...@lindgren.pp.se wrote:
>> >   "xav.me" <xav...@infonie.fr> writes:
>> >  Hi there, delphists :)
>> >  I'm an alien here, since I'm coming from the C++ / ILOG Views world
and
>know
>> >  absolutely nothing about Delphi (nor Object Pascal, by the way).
>> >  Could you suggest me a good book for *learning* Delphi (with exercises
if
>> >  possible, but that's not mandatory) ?

>http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

Re:A good book to learn Delphi 4...?

. . . and now Delphi4 Bible is also available.

--
Regards
Kai Inge

Go to page: [1] [2]