BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File Name

I've just getting started with Delphi 6 (Windows2000pro) and I'm trying to get
a table hooked up to a DBgrid. I get a BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File
Name. Internet wisdom says this is an IDAPI?? problem?

Can someone help me out with advise on how to fix the problem.
Thanks
Greg

Re:BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File Name

On 20 Nov 2002 18:07:03 GMT, greg.appley...@usask.ca (StudentLab)
wrote:

>I've just getting started with Delphi 6 (Windows2000pro) and I'm trying to get
>a table hooked up to a DBgrid. I get a BDE error number 9987 - Invalid File
>Name. Internet wisdom says this is an IDAPI?? problem?

>Can someone help me out with advise on how to fix the problem.
>Thanks
>Greg

This sounds like you are using Paradox or dBase tables. Since these
are individual files, rather than tables inside a single database file
(the normal case with SQL databases), you refer to them as filenames
instead of tablenames. For example:

Paradox table:  'SELECT * FROM "mytable.db" WHERE xxx'
SQL table:       'SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE xxx'

The BDE has a default type setting. It will assume a filename without
an  extension to be a certain type of table. It is better to always
include the extension with the tablename.

Note: all this refers to the physical table on the disk. Don't confuse
this with the TTable object in Delphi.

HTH,
Dan

Other Threads