VESA mode i on Diamond Viper PCI card?

Hello

I have a problem.
I wrote a PASCAL software using svga256.bgi and it worked
on my S3 Trio 3D 4MB AGP adapter. Now I have a Diamond
Viper V 550 VGA and it says that "mode is not supported
on this adapter".

I tried vesa16.bgi and it worked on this card but I need
256 colors (or more).
Is there a vesa256.bgi file ? if so where can I find it?

Question Nr. 2: Is there a PASCAL routine which sets the
video refresh rate in a certain video mode?

Question Nr3: Is Turbo pascal 7.0 y2k compatible?

Thank you
Joe

Re:VESA mode i on Diamond Viper PCI card?

First of all, what mode are you trying to get? resolution?

Second, you can't set the retrace rate, it will probably be the default of
60hz.

Third, it doesn't matter if pascal is y2k compatible, DOS is set to accept
the year 1980-2079.

What kind of prog are you trying to make?

Joseph Szadai <cw...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in article
<80u9r6$...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>...

cw...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Joseph Szadai) wrote:

>Hello

>I have a problem.
>I wrote a PASCAL software using svga256.bgi and it worked
>on my S3 Trio 3D 4MB AGP adapter. Now I have a Diamond
>Viper V 550 VGA and it says that "mode is not supported
>on this adapter".

>I tried vesa16.bgi and it worked on this card but I need
>256 colors (or more).
>Is there a vesa256.bgi file ? if so where can I find it?

I don't know of any such BGI driver, unless there is a 3rd party
one.  I use a commercial library, GrafDrive Plus which has
support for modes such as that.

>Question Nr. 2: Is there a PASCAL routine which sets the
>video refresh rate in a certain video mode?

No, there isn't. If you want to set the video refresh rate, I would
look into Scitech's Display Doctor for DOS. The web site is
www.scitechsoft.com

>Question Nr3: Is Turbo pascal 7.0 y2k compatible?

Yes both BP7.0 and TP 7.0 are Y2K compatible. The only thing
to consider here is whether your computer and it's BIOS are up to
date with the Year 2000.

Hope this helps.

Mike McWhinney
Chief Engineer
elja, Inc.

Re:VESA mode i on Diamond Viper PCI card?

First of all, what mode are you trying to get? resolution?

Second, you can't set the retrace rate, it will probably be the default of
60hz.

Third, it doesn't matter if pascal is y2k compatible, DOS is set to accept
the year 1980-2079.

What kind of prog are you trying to make?
---------------
I tried 800x600/256 color and 1024x768/256 color modes with svga256.bgi
Refresh rate is 70 Hz, however using unirfrsh.com I can set it
manually, but if I run the program on another PC which does not
have Vesa VBE 3.0 or unirefresh, the resfresh rate is low.
is there a vesa256.bgi file?
Joe

Re:VESA mode i on Diamond Viper PCI card?

JRS:  In article <01bf3149$78d100c0$9ff2eecd@big-boss> of Wed, 17 Nov
1999 22:11:50 in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, DarkCode

<darkc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Second, you can't set the retrace rate, it will probably be the default of
>60hz.

??

>Third, it doesn't matter if pascal is y2k compatible, DOS is set to accept
>the year 1980-2079.

In almost all cases, DOS accepts 1980-2099.

 Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
 Dates - miscdate.htm  Year 2000 - date2000.htm  Critical Dates - critdate.htm
 Y2k for beginners - year2000.txt  UK mini-FAQ - y2k-mfaq.txt  Don't Mail News

On 17 Nov 1999 13:16:22 GMT, cw...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Joseph Szadai)
wrote:

>Hello

>I have a problem.
>I wrote a PASCAL software using svga256.bgi and it worked
>on my S3 Trio 3D 4MB AGP adapter. Now I have a Diamond
>Viper V 550 VGA and it says that "mode is not supported
>on this adapter".

If you have version 5.2 or 5.5 of the Jordan Hargraphix BGI drivers,
then these should support VESA. If your program provides it's own
autodetection, then there may be a bug in your detection routine.
Also, are you sure that your program does not try to use the S3
specific driver included in the Jordan Hargraphics package?

>I tried vesa16.bgi and it worked on this card but I need
>256 colors (or more).
>Is there a vesa256.bgi file ? if so where can I find it?

If you can't get the Jordan Hargraphix drivers to work, then try the
excellent BGI driver package for 256 color VESA modes created by
Michael Day. Author's description:

BGI256 is a VESA compatible 256 color BGI driver for Borland's Pascal
and C languages. V3.04 enhancements: Improved line draw algorithm.
Improved Animation support. Virtual display support. A VESA compatible
BIOS or TSR is required to use this driver beyond 320x200x256. Full
source code and documentation included. Non-VESA source code included
for ET4000, Video7 and Trident drivers. Provides support for protected
mode operation.

Web site of author:

http://www.teleport.com/~mikeday/ksweb.htm

Download the latest version here:

ftp://ftp.teleport.com/pub/vendors/mikeday/bgi256.zip

>Question Nr. 2: Is there a PASCAL routine which sets the
>video refresh rate in a certain video mode?

No. Such a routine does not exist and cannot exist, for the simple
reason that there is no unified way to set refresh rates. However,
starting with version 3.0 VESA has defined a way to set refresh rates.
This means that you can use utilities such as VBEHZ or Unirefresh to
set DOS refresh rates in VESA modes on any board which has a VBE 3.0
compatible BIOS. If you're interested in doing your own VBE 3.0
compliant refresh rate programming in Borland Pascal, then you should
get the latest VESA specification:

ftp://ftp.vesa.org/pub/VBE/vbe3.pdf

If you wish to get ergonomical refresh rates in DOS on boards which do
not have a VBE 3.0 BIOS, then you should use the dedicated DOS refresh
rate utilities that came with the board.

>Question Nr3: Is Turbo pascal 7.0 y2k compatible?

Yes, but the BIOS or the operating systems of the computers on which
your programs will run might not be Y2K compatible, and since you have
no control over these factors, it's better not to rely upon date or
time functions in your program unless you have to.

Frankly, there are much more important compatibility issues to
consider. First of all, make sure you are using an updated CRT unit,
or else your programs might not run on fast machines (> 200 MHz).

Secondly, if you create protected mode (DPMI) programs with Borland
Pascal, then be aware that these programs may not run in plain DOS
with EMM386 loaded on machines with over 64 Mb RAM, unless EMM386 is
either removed or used with the NOVCPI switch.

Thirdly, be aware that the Borland Pascal functions DiskSize and
DiskFree do not operate correctly on machines with 'large' harddisks,
i.e. on any partition over 2 Gb in size. Since virtually any modern
machine may be expected to have such a 'large' harddisk, using these
functions is bound to cause problems. If your program has to use these
functions, you should write your own replacements using the extended
BIOS functions designed for dealing with 'large' disks. Of course,
your program should first test whether these extended BIOS functions
are available, otherwise your program will fail on 'old' machines with
'small' harddisks.

Haye van den Oever

Joseph Szadai wrote in message <810e18$...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>...

>First of all, what mode are you trying to get? resolution?

>Second, you can't set the retrace rate, it will probably be the default of
>60hz.

>Third, it doesn't matter if pascal is y2k compatible, DOS is set to accept
>the year 1980-2079.

>What kind of prog are you trying to make?
>---------------
>I tried 800x600/256 color and 1024x768/256 color modes with svga256.bgi
>Refresh rate is 70 Hz, however using unirfrsh.com I can set it
>manually, but if I run the program on another PC which does not
>have Vesa VBE 3.0 or unirefresh, the resfresh rate is low.
>is there a vesa256.bgi file?
>Joe

I don't no about a vesa.bgi file but:
How about writing a VESA unit yourself?