Advantage Database Server

Hi.

Has anyone here made experiences with the Advantage Database Server (ADS)
and/or its Delphi components ?

Olaf

Re:Advantage Database Server

I like it.  Plug it in and go.  After years of Paradox conflicts, we haven't
had a lock-related error or conflict in a year and a half.  It's stable and
the learning curve for their version of SQL is short.  Conversion is
relatively painless.  It's not as powerful as Oracle or MS SQL, but for a
small business where the programmer is the database manager, too, it's
ideal.

"Olaf Buck" <OlafB...@web.de> wrote in message

> Hi.

> Has anyone here made experiences with the Advantage Database Server (ADS)
> and/or its Delphi components ?

> Olaf

Re:Advantage Database Server

How does it compare to Interbase?  To help you answer that question, here
are the salient facts about my particular technical situation:
* Multiple customers, mostly pretty non-technical
* Databases used simply as a convenient store for front end app; each
database only used a very few times, but database creation a very common
operation
* Possibility for the future of having to work in networked environment;
so, multiple clients accessing multiple databases
* Size of databases very small; biggest tables typically only hundreds of
records, but could change to a few thousands in the future (yes, I know
this is still small)

I'd love to know how Advantage compares to Interbase in this sort of
situation.  We're currently using Interbase, but I'm open to alternatives.

In article <t85ljtjh9el...@corp.supernews.com>, "Jim Hadar"

--
Esther Michaels
Please respond to newsgroup; I don't check my mail account

Re:Advantage Database Server

Well, Interbase is free.... so if cost is your major consideration it's a no
brainer.
If ease of use comes into play, you want to look at Advantage.  My guess is
that it will come down to the way you use it.  You can get a free evaluation
copy of Advantage from Exteded Systems and give it a try.  Details on their
website.

"Esther Michaels" <e_...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> How does it compare to Interbase?  To help you answer that question, here
> are the salient facts about my particular technical situation:
> * Multiple customers, mostly pretty non-technical
> * Databases used simply as a convenient store for front end app; each
> database only used a very few times, but database creation a very common
> operation
> * Possibility for the future of having to work in networked environment;
> so, multiple clients accessing multiple databases
> * Size of databases very small; biggest tables typically only hundreds of
> records, but could change to a few thousands in the future (yes, I know
> this is still small)

> I'd love to know how Advantage compares to Interbase in this sort of
> situation.  We're currently using Interbase, but I'm open to alternatives.

> In article <t85ljtjh9el...@corp.supernews.com>, "Jim Hadar"
> <J...@HadarAthletic.Com> wrote:

> >I like it.  Plug it in and go.  After years of Paradox conflicts, we
haven't
> >had a lock-related error or conflict in a year and a half.  It's stable
and
> >the learning curve for their version of SQL is short.  Conversion is
> >relatively painless.  It's not as powerful as Oracle or MS SQL, but for a
> >small business where the programmer is the database manager, too, it's
> >ideal.

> >"Olaf Buck" <OlafB...@web.de> wrote in message
> >> Hi.

> >> Has anyone here made experiences with the Advantage Database Server
> >> and/or its Delphi components ?

> >> Olaf

> --
> Esther Michaels
> Please respond to newsgroup; I don't check my mail account

Re:Advantage Database Server

Thanks, I'll take a look.

In article <t8g2tm7gfqm...@corp.supernews.com>, "Jim Hadar"

<J...@HadarAthletic.Com> wrote:
>Well, Interbase is free.... so if cost is your major consideration it's a no
>brainer.
>If ease of use comes into play, you want to look at Advantage.  My guess is
>that it will come down to the way you use it.  You can get a free evaluation
>copy of Advantage from Exteded Systems and give it a try.  Details on their
>website.

>"Esther Michaels" <e_...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> How does it compare to Interbase?  To help you answer that question, here
>> are the salient facts about my particular technical situation:
>> * Multiple customers, mostly pretty non-technical
>> * Databases used simply as a convenient store for front end app; each
>> database only used a very few times, but database creation a very common
>> operation
>> * Possibility for the future of having to work in networked environment;
>> so, multiple clients accessing multiple databases
>> * Size of databases very small; biggest tables typically only hundreds of
>> records, but could change to a few thousands in the future (yes, I know
>> this is still small)

>> I'd love to know how Advantage compares to Interbase in this sort of
>> situation.  We're currently using Interbase, but I'm open to alternatives.

>> In article <t85ljtjh9el...@corp.supernews.com>, "Jim Hadar"
>> <J...@HadarAthletic.Com> wrote:

>> >I like it.  Plug it in and go.  After years of Paradox conflicts, we
>haven't
>> >had a lock-related error or conflict in a year and a half.  It's stable
>and
>> >the learning curve for their version of SQL is short.  Conversion is
>> >relatively painless.  It's not as powerful as Oracle or MS SQL, but for a
>> >small business where the programmer is the database manager, too, it's
>> >ideal.

>> >"Olaf Buck" <OlafB...@web.de> wrote in message

>> --
>> Esther Michaels
>> Please respond to newsgroup; I don't check my mail account

--
Esther Michaels
Please respond to newsgroup; I don't check my mail account

Other Threads