ODBC Setup and Installation

Now on the verge of desperation...  I've got an app which connects to
an Access database using ODBC (via ODBCExpress, FWIW).  It works
great, provided that ODBC is set up correctly.  Setting ODBC up
correctly, however, is a throughly hit-and-miss proposition.

This app needs to run on a full range of Win3.1x, Win95, and WinNT
boxen.  Some already have ODBC installed, others do not.  Of those
that have ODBC already, some have Access drivers and others do not.
Desktops and laptops and everything in between.  IOW, it's the
wonderful world of PCs which, despite any attempts to refer to them as
such, they are not even close to being homogenous.

The InstallShield Express which comes with Delphi 2 is not an option,
as it (apparently) will only do 32-bit installs.  I've created install
disks with Sax Setup Wizard, but they're not all that reliable -
MicroSquish, of course, has 4 different flavors of OBDC setups
(Win3.x, Win32s, Win95, and WinNt) and no machine will use all of them
- no one machine can even have all 4 sets of files installed, since
M$, in its infinite wisdom, reused some of the filenames.  I've taken
the standard M$ 3-disk ODBC installation set and given that out along
with a 1-disk app install and that doesn't work reliably either.  ODBC
is a great idea, I just wish M$ would make it usable...

Anyhow, how can I get ODBC installed (relatively) reliably on any
random Windows box?

TIA.

--
I do not like net lags and spam
I do not like them, Sam I Am

Re:ODBC Setup and Installation

On Fri, 04 Apr 1997 16:37:23 GMT, es...@corlabs.com (Dave Sherohman) wrote:
>The InstallShield Express which comes with Delphi 2 is not an option,
>as it (apparently) will only do 32-bit installs.  I've created install
[snip]
>with a 1-disk app install and that doesn't work reliably either.  ODBC
>is a great idea, I just wish M$ would make it usable...

>Anyhow, how can I get ODBC installed (relatively) reliably on any
>random Windows box?

I would suggest you buy InstallShield Express Professional from
InstallShield directly.

I'm sure they will be able to help you. You can download a fully functional
30-day evaluation copy of InstallShield Express Pro from InstallShield
directly or use our ExpressLink to get there.

InstallShield's site: http://www.installshield.com/express/
Our ExpressLink: http://www.ellipse-data.com/nfreestuff.html

Select InstallShield Express Download.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

== owner@ ==
== ellipse- ==
== data.com ==
== Fix the ==
== above for ==
== address ==

-
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=          Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/                =
=        Delphi Super Page: http://minnie.iafrica.com/~delphi/          =
=  Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/    =