Strange character problem wirh Paradox and BDE 5

I just updated from BDE 4.x to BDE 5.10 and am experiencing a weird problem.
I use a special character with the ACSII-Code 128 in some Memofields in a
Paradox-Table. These are normally shown as little black dots. Since I
updated to BDE 5.10 these characters are replaced by the characted Nr. 35
'#'  . After further review, it seems to happen with a lot of characters
above Nr 128. When entered in a TDBMemo they are displayed correctly. When I
post the record an get it back, then alle the Characters are replaced. Even
in the Database-Inspector they are shown as '#'...

Why on earth does this happen?

When I switch back to BDE 4.x everything works fine...

Any hint?

Pascal

Re:Strange character problem wirh Paradox and BDE 5

"Pascal Joyeux" <pascal.joy...@mummert.de> wrote in message

> I just updated from BDE 4.x to BDE 5.10 and am experiencing a weird
problem.
> I use a special character with the ACSII-Code 128 in some Memofields in a
> Paradox-Table. These are normally shown as little black dots. Since I
> updated to BDE 5.10 these characters are replaced by the character Nr. 35
> '#'  . After further review, it seems to happen with a lot of characters
> above Nr 128. When entered in a TDBMemo they are displayed correctly. When
> post the record an get it back, then all the Characters are replaced. Even
> in the Database-Inspector they are shown as '#'...

> Why on earth does this happen?

Hi Pascal,

The display depends on the font you have loaded.  All windows fonts have a
default glyph that they display if the glyph required is not in the
characterset.  A font such as Times new Roman will display Nr 128, 130,
142,143, and 156 (I might be off) as a hollow square.  MS Serif will use a
dot for Nr 128 - 160.  Other fonts use a vertical bar and some use a solid
square.  None of the fonts on my machine use the '#' so I don't know which
font you are using.

Many of the non printing characters 0 - 31 also use the default glyph.  I
would suggest using a de{*word*81} to see what the contents of the TDBMemo is
after it is loaded.

Hope this gives you some leads.

len jones

Re:Strange character problem wirh Paradox and BDE 5

Hi Len,

thanks for answering!

BUT I think the problem isn't the font because in my application I scan the
DBMemo to find the character Nr128 for further use.
The weird thing is I can't find it anymore! If it were only because of
fonts, I should find the character even if it's "outer" form is not the one
I used to see. Furthermore, the font i use is simply "MS Sans Serif" and
should show a dot for Nr. 128. Secondly, how could the font by affected by
"downdating" back to BDE 4.x ?  I just have to switch back to 4.x to see the
dot !

Any more hints ?

Pascal

Re:Strange character problem wirh Paradox and BDE 5

Hi Pascal,

I think that your problem is the language driver that is being used by
Paradox.  Try changing the Driver settings for Paradox in the BDE
Administrator (BDEAdmin.exe) and see if selecting a different driver
gives you your extended characters back.

Other Threads