"An outgoing call cannot be made..."

Hi,

I discovered a problem today that got me confused = ?

I have an OLE client that is connected to any automation server. And in the
client application is a timer running, it expires every second. When the
timer expires I try to access either a property or method in the automation
server. This works OK.

But if I right click my mouse on the application icon on the taskbar in
NT4.0, then I get EOleSysError - "An outgoing call cannot be made since the
application is dispatching an input-synchronous call" when the timer
expires.

I tried to capture the right click on the mouse but this don't seems to be
connected to the application directly?

Does anyone have an explanation or solution to this problem?

Thanks

Bj?rn M?ller

Re:"An outgoing call cannot be made..."

Bjorn

I have had the same problem.  I had several apps talking to each other using
COM.  Most of the apps were background processes that were accessed by
clicking a tray icon to display a menu.  However, if the app was sending a
message via COM and you clicked to pop up the apps menu, boom,
 EOleSysError - "An outgoing call cannot be made since the application is
dispatching an input-synchronous call"

Apparently the tray menu was on a different thread than the main
application.  We tried to synchronize the threads but couldn't get it to
work.  We finally ended up posting a message back to the main thread and
displaying the menu from there.  Kind of klunky, but it worked.

Doug

Bj?rn M?ller wrote in message <6chm4l$4...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi,

>I discovered a problem today that got me confused = ?

>I have an OLE client that is connected to any automation server. And in the
>client application is a timer running, it expires every second. When the
>timer expires I try to access either a property or method in the automation
>server. This works OK.

>But if I right click my mouse on the application icon on the taskbar in
>NT4.0, then I get EOleSysError - "An outgoing call cannot be made since the
>application is dispatching an input-synchronous call" when the timer
>expires.

>I tried to capture the right click on the mouse but this don't seems to be
>connected to the application directly?

>Does anyone have an explanation or solution to this problem?

>Thanks

>Bj?rn M?ller

Re:"An outgoing call cannot be made..."

I had the same problem and solved it the same way.  I keep wondering if there is
a better way though....

Charlie Savage
c...@interserv.com

Doug wrote:
> Bjorn

> I have had the same problem.  I had several apps talking to each other using
> COM.  Most of the apps were background processes that were accessed by
> clicking a tray icon to display a menu.  However, if the app was sending a
> message via COM and you clicked to pop up the apps menu, boom,
>  EOleSysError - "An outgoing call cannot be made since the application is
> dispatching an input-synchronous call"

> Apparently the tray menu was on a different thread than the main
> application.  We tried to synchronize the threads but couldn't get it to
> work.  We finally ended up posting a message back to the main thread and
> displaying the menu from there.  Kind of klunky, but it worked.

> Doug

> Bj?rn M?ller wrote in message <6chm4l$4...@forums.borland.com>...
> >Hi,

> >I discovered a problem today that got me confused = ?

> >I have an OLE client that is connected to any automation server. And in the
> >client application is a timer running, it expires every second. When the
> >timer expires I try to access either a property or method in the automation
> >server. This works OK.

> >But if I right click my mouse on the application icon on the taskbar in
> >NT4.0, then I get EOleSysError - "An outgoing call cannot be made since the
> >application is dispatching an input-synchronous call" when the timer
> >expires.

> >I tried to capture the right click on the mouse but this don't seems to be
> >connected to the application directly?

> >Does anyone have an explanation or solution to this problem?

> >Thanks

> >Bj?rn M?ller

Other Threads