what do I need to run apps with sql server

Hi there,

I would like to program an application that uses the TADO components from
Delphi and sql server 2000. Now I would like to know, what drivers do I need
to run the application on the clients that have Windows98.
I have heard that the MDAC package of Microsoft will do but how do I
register the sql server on the clients?? What package is right for me? Is
there a tool to do so??

Thanks,

Pascal

Re:what do I need to run apps with sql server

>I would like to program an application that uses the TADO components from
>Delphi and sql server 2000. Now I would like to know, what drivers do I need
>to run the application on the clients that have Windows98.
>I have heard that the MDAC package of Microsoft will do but how do I
>register the sql server on the clients?? What package is right for me? Is
>there a tool to do so??

You need to make sure that your client has MDAC 2.5 (or preferably
2.6, for SQL Server 2000) installed. That's really all there is.

In your app, you need to specify the connection string (e.g. what
machine does the SQL Server run on, what database to use on that
server etc.) - that's all that ADO (which is part of MDAC) will need
to connect.

And of course, you need a working network connection between that
client and your SQL Server! :-)

Marc

Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch

Re:what do I need to run apps with sql server

Marc, are you sure that you do not need a tool like the Enterprise manager
to previously register the sql server you would like to work with??

"Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <pascalsv@nospam_tauth.com> wrote in message

> Marc, are you sure that you do not need a tool like the Enterprise manager
> to previously register the sql server you would like to work with??

The register function of Enterprise Manager is to register the server with
Enterprise Manager itself, not for general use.

Double-click on the TADOConnection to build your connection string.

Cheers,
  Ignacio

Re:what do I need to run apps with sql server

>Marc, are you sure that you do not need a tool like the Enterprise manager
>to previously register the sql server you would like to work with??

Yes, absolutely. You DO NOT NEED any of the tools like Query Analyzer
or Enterprise Manager or anything of that sort.

All you need on your client is MDAC 2.6 installed, the network
connection, and the correct connection string.

Marc

Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch

Re:what do I need to run apps with sql server

Even MDAC 2.1 which comes with Windows 98 FE works with MSSQL

--
-
Brian Slack LL.B LL.M

"Marc Scheuner" <no.s...@for.me> wrote in message

> >Marc, are you sure that you do not need a tool like the Enterprise
manager
> >to previously register the sql server you would like to work with??

> Yes, absolutely. You DO NOT NEED any of the tools like Query Analyzer
> or Enterprise Manager or anything of that sort.

> All you need on your client is MDAC 2.6 installed, the network
> connection, and the correct connection string.

> Marc

> Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
> Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch

Other Threads