Board index » delphi » Delphi STD and Oracle database

Delphi STD and Oracle database

Is it possible to connect to Oracle database using database components
from
delphi standard (4 or 5) ?

_______________________________
Michal Piasecki
boxm...@polbox.com

 

Re:Delphi STD and Oracle database


I use D4 C/S and can connect.
Do you have ODBC and/or native drivers ?
If yes, then you should connect !

Micha3 Piasecki <michal.piase...@cr-media.com.pl> a crit dans le message :
38305C15.C4CCB...@cr-media.com.pl...

Quote
> Is it possible to connect to Oracle database using database components
> from
> delphi standard (4 or 5) ?

> _______________________________
> Michal Piasecki
> boxm...@polbox.com

Re:Delphi STD and Oracle database


There is no native way to use Delphi Standard to connect to Oracle. D4 Std
can only connect to Paradox, DBase and MS Access (95 & 97).
For anything else, you need a 3rd party database engine, as D4 standard does
not support ODBC. D5 Std does not support DB development at all (at least
according to the spec-sheet).

--
J.T. Wenting

www.hornet.demon.nl

Micha3 Piasecki <michal.piase...@cr-media.com.pl> schreef in berichtnieuws
38305C15.C4CCB...@cr-media.com.pl...

Quote
> Is it possible to connect to Oracle database using database components
> from
> delphi standard (4 or 5) ?

> _______________________________
> Michal Piasecki
> boxm...@polbox.com

Re:Delphi STD and Oracle database


On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:17:41 GMT, Micha3 Piasecki

Quote
<michal.piase...@cr-media.com.pl> wrote:
>Is it possible to connect to Oracle database using database components
>from delphi standard (4 or 5) ?

No. While Delphi 4 includes data access, it is limited to local table
types.

No native drivers (SQL Links) are provided for SQL databases and the
Standard edition does not allow for using ODBC drivers.

In Delphi 5, the data access in the Standard edition has been eliminated
altogether.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Steve Koterski              "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,
Felton, CA                  lying in hospitals dying of nothing."
                                                              -- Redd Foxx

Re:Delphi STD and Oracle database


Quote
Steve Koterski <koter...@NOSPAMgte.net> wrote in message

news:3830ae2d.33175589@news.gte.net...

Quote
> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:17:41 GMT, Micha3 Piasecki
> <michal.piase...@cr-media.com.pl> wrote:

> >Is it possible to connect to Oracle database using database components
> >from delphi standard (4 or 5) ?

> No. While Delphi 4 includes data access, it is limited to local table
> types.

> No native drivers (SQL Links) are provided for SQL databases and the
> Standard edition does not allow for using ODBC drivers.

> In Delphi 5, the data access in the Standard edition has been eliminated
> altogether.

I think if you purchase a third party product, such as Direct Oracle Access,
you can connect from Delphi 4/5 Standard, since DOA provides the data access
components.

I am currently using Delphi 4 Pro + DOA to connect to oracle.

HTH

Karl

Other Threads