I finally found a use for kylix

2008-01-02 01:29:55 PM
delphi161
eeepc.asus.com/global/
bought one for $399. The dam thing is just amazing.
Please codegear resurect kylix :D

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

you can plug a usb keyboard/mouse into it and it has a vga output that
does up to 1600x1200 i believe.
Gil writes:
great only one hand for typing needed

;)

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

Kristofer Skaug writes:
huh, the specs say "OS: Linux, Windows XP compatible" - what does
that mean? If Windows XP can be run, why bother with Linix <gdr>
They were due to launch an XP version at the end of last year. Don't
know if it is loose in the wild yet. ;-)
--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

"Mike Margerum" wrote

"Kristofer Skaug" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
huh, the specs say "OS: Linux, Windows XP compatible" - what does that
mean?
It means you can install XP on it.
www.stepto.com/default.aspx
Stewart

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

"Kristofer Skaug" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Mike Margerum" wrote

>Please codegear resurect kylix :D

huh, the specs say "OS: Linux, Windows XP compatible" - what does that
mean?
If Windows XP can be run, why bother with Linix <gdr>
The default OS on these machines are Linux currently !
And Asus don't support Install/Usage of Win XP officely.
This meaning user have to buy xp and install by themself.
The version of linux in these machine seem easy to learn.
But Win XP(or specail version of XP) seem still have lots of advantages.
So its not easy to judge will linux raise sharply from eee-pc.

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Andrew Chen" writes:

>And Asus don't support Install/Usage of Win XP officely.
>This meaning user have to buy xp and install by themself.

eeepc.asus.com/global/news10192007.htm
"ASUS confirmed they will offer the highly anticipated Eee PC
pre-installed with Genuine Microsoft Windows by end of this year. The ASUS
Eee PC defines a new category of computing device that offers an excellent
Internet experience on-the-go for work, learn and play. With the addition
of Microsoft Windows, the Eee PC can now also accommodate educational and
corporate requirements."
So Asus seem delay on this issue.
At least, in taiwan,the sale of eee pc is still with linux os.
Even Asus provide eee-pc with XP os directly , the price of machine should
plus with 20~60 usd.
And,in another way, if eee-pc was too nice,
the sale of Asus NB-department will reduce sharply.
Because NB have higher margin.
So the project of eee-pc II (with 8" or 10" screen) was cancel.

>The version of linux in these machine seem easy to learn.
>
>But Win XP(or specail version of XP) seem still have lots of advantages.
>
>So its not easy to judge will linux raise sharply from eee-pc.

Indead!

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

Hi,
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:44:45 +0800, Andrew Chen writes:
And,in another way, if eee-pc was too nice, the sale of Asus
NB-department will reduce sharply.
I don't think so. The eeepc is much smaller than the usual notebook. It's
a totally different class. Not really meant for working but only for e.g.
looking up stuff, surfing the Internet etc.
twm

"Andrew Chen" writes:
"I.P. Nichols" writes:
>"Andrew Chen" writes:
>>
>>And Asus don't support Install/Usage of Win XP officely.
>>This meaning user have to buy xp and install by themself.
>
>eeepc.asus.com/global/news10192007.htm
>"ASUS confirmed they will offer the highly anticipated Eee PC
>pre-installed with Genuine Microsoft Windows by end of this year. The
>ASUS Eee PC defines a new category of computing device that offers an
>excellent Internet experience on-the-go for work, learn and play. With
>the addition of Microsoft Windows, the Eee PC can now also accommodate
>educational and corporate requirements."

So Asus seem delay on this issue.

At least, in taiwan,the sale of eee pc is still with linux os.
Microsoft is causing the delay, not Asus.
www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/dec07/12-05FlashBasedDevices.mspx

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

Hi,
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 10:30:26 -0600, Dave White writes:
Would this thing run VNC for remote access? When I travel back to the
UK, I need to haul my laptop around just on the off chance that I need
to remote in to the lab - this thing would be great if VNC was usable.
I can not say for sure (don't have one), but generally it is not difficult to
install a VNC server on a Linux based computer. It doesn't need much
performance either.
Alternatively you could have a look at Synergy, which allows you to use a
single keyboard and mouse for several computers while using both displays
and only requires network connectivity. I use it a lot.
twm

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

"Mike Margerum" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
eeepc.asus.com/global/

bought one for $399. The dam thing is just amazing.

Would this thing run VNC for remote access? When I travel back to the UK, I
need to haul my laptop around just on the off chance that I need to remote
in to the lab - this thing would be great if VNC was usable.

Re:I finally found a use for kylix

well you can install xp on it but i personally want to wait a minute for the thing to boot xp. I prefer the much leaner xandros distribution which boots much faster. The other thing that is nice about the built in distro is you can do a factory reset on it in 5 seconds and have a pristine install.
Also, 4 gb is not going to cut it for a full blow xp install unless you use nlite. The 8 gb unit might though.
I've read they will be preloading windows on these soon and that m$ has given them a steep discount (~$40 per license). It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

"Thomas Mueller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I can not say for sure (don't have one), but generally it is not difficult to
install a VNC server on a Linux based computer. It doesn't need much
performance either.
Thanks Thomas, although it'd be the VNC viewer that I would need to install.
Alternatively you could have a look at Synergy, which allows you to use a
single keyboard and mouse for several computers while using both displays
and only requires network connectivity. I use it a lot.

We have around 1,000+ computers in ours labs. VNC isn't the best, but it's
free and easy to set up.

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:25:56 -0600, Dave White writes:
>I can not say for sure (don't have one), but generally it is not difficult
>to install a VNC server on a Linux based computer. It doesn't need much
>performance either.
Thanks Thomas, although it'd be the VNC viewer that I would need to install.
That's even easier.
>Alternatively you could have a look at Synergy, which allows you to use
>a single keyboard and mouse for several computers while using both
>displays and only requires network connectivity. I use it a lot.
We have around 1,000+ computers in ours labs. VNC isn't the best, but
it's free and easy to set up.
That's right. I was assuming you wanted to remote control the eeepc, not
the other way round (so you don't have to use the tiny keyboard). In that
case Synergy could have been a better option.
twm

Mike Margerum writes:
eeepc.asus.com/global/

bought one for $399. The dam thing is just amazing.
Not quite amazing - but extremely good. We have the 4G version, and am having
lots of fun brushing up on my Linux skills. My wife is using it as her "handbag
PC" - with Open Office, Mozilla Firebird and Thunderbird, Kontact and Skype, it
does everything she wants.
Because it is running a fairly standard Xandros distro it is extremely easy to
add functionality. I have already added a fully populated "Start" menu, Wine
(Windows emulator), Skype 2.0 beta, etc.
To cut through all the hype and buzz, for those that do not have one, the
advantages of it are:
1. extreme portability
2. great (though little) screen
3. good (though small) keyboard
4. speedy with Xandros - a 10 second boot means you don't have to suspend
5. has all the bells and whistles of a $2K laptop: 3 x USB, {*word*272}, speakers,
SD slot,
6. it just works out of the box - it really is the PC as an appliance
7. Synaptic, or apt get for you command lines guys
8. oh, did I mention portability ?
In essence, it has all the features of a $2-3K ultraportable in a neat $400
package that fits in a woman's handbag. I confidently predict that it will
become a compulsory fashion accessory for all young business fems - they will go
nuts over the video conference capability when they discover it.
The best place to find more info and help is:
wiki.eeeuser.com/
Please codegear resurect kylix :D
They had their chance, and blew it. Use Lazarus instead.