Re: Vista Advice

2007-07-11 11:23:12 AM
delphi35
Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
Phillip Woon writes:

>if you ever want to run VB6 (don't ask), you have to run it in a VM
>with XP or earlier.

I needed a laugh today.. thanks <g>

I thought it was funny too, as a client of mine has a project written in
VB6 that he wants me to make some changes to. Luckily I have Virtual
PC, otherwise I'd have to use my media server pc (which has XP). I

Re: Vista Advice

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
Steve Zimmelman writes:

>My system is due for an upgrade, and it seems that XP Pro is getting
>hard to come by in new PC's

At least here, that trend is reversing. In fact, the notebook I am now
using is only a week old, and I was given the option of having XP on
it, so I took that option.

Perhaps it was a mistake to get XP. With the new updates, I think Vista
is getting more solider (is that a word)? Hopefully, when you elect to
get XP, you still retain the license for Vista.

Re: Vista Advice

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
I was given the option of having XP on
it, so I took that option.
That's excellent. I am wishing I could have ordered XP on my wife's
machine. We've been having tons of issues with Vista. The fact that
we're not alone in this experience is not a consolation :(
--
John Kaster blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: dn.codegear.com

Re: Vista Advice

Phillip Woon writes:
With the new updates, I think Vista is getting more solider (is that
a word)?
Did you have any specific Vista updates in mind for this?
--

John Kaster writes:
That's excellent. I am wishing I could have ordered XP on my wife's
machine. We've been having tons of issues with Vista. The fact that
we're not alone in this experience is not a consolation :(
What issues are you seeing? Vista has been perfect for me.
Jon

Re: Vista Advice

Jonathan,
| What issues are you seeing? Vista has been perfect for me.
Have you tried turning the system on? ;-) <g,d&r>
07/10/2007 22:46:50
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Vista Advice

Q Correll writes:
Have you tried turning the system on? ;-) <g,d&r>
No, I am afraid I have been too busy keeping the dust specks off the new
piano-black finish case :-)
Jon

Re: Vista Advice

Vista is rock solid for me at the OS level. Program crashes and
unauthorised attempts to open IP ports, "secret installs" etc are nicely
caught, programs don't get to break the OS, so my PC is in better shape.
In that sense, Vista is a more desirable OS, and better to use.

However, there is some stupid stuff like Explorer randomly deciding that
a folder holds photos, search for files is broken, the File Save dialogs
get confused. Also the Taskbar has to be Auto-Hide or it stays on top.

Roger Lascelles

Don't forget it is included dvd authoring software - totally braindead.
Hours to burn a DVD :-(, though the splash screen on the DVD is pretty,
same with just copying files. I downloaded a freebie and all is back to
normal though.
Dave

Re: Vista Advice

David Ridgway writes:
I was running both BDS2006 and Delphi 2007 on Vista (on my older machine), and
now just Delphi 2007 on my new one - both work great. If anything,
VisualStudio has more issues on Vista than BDS seems to have which is
interesting :)

One thing I cannot recommend enough is LOTS of memory, Vista doesn't
really begin to perform at an acceptable level until you get 1.5-2Gb.
Given the price of ram, if you get 4Gb (limit for 32bit version
obviously), you will be very happy with how it runs.

I was just reading you're better off getting 3GB (2x1G + 2x512MB) and
saving a couple of dollars. Vista 32 bit can only address 3GB, the top
1GB is reserved for memory mapped devices, Video cards etc.
Dave

Re: Vista Advice

Get WinXP64.
Eric

Re: Vista Advice

I have 4 x 1Gb modules installed, and a video card with 320Mb of ram, and
Vista recognises 3.5Gb of memory as free. Another machine in the office has
4x1Gb of ram, and dual 256Mb video cards, and also sees 3.5Gb free.
From what I have read, it does depend on how your video memory is
configured.
Either way, next step is Vista 64, once device drivers become more
available, and they can get games running acceptably well on it ;) Not that
I play any of course.
--
David Ridgway
Stock & custom Icons for developers - www.clevericons.com

Re: Vista Advice

David Ridgway writes:

From what I have read, it does depend on how your video memory is
configured.

The one I was reading was from a Dell customer I think, he was annoyed
he'd paid for the 4GB and only around 3.2 was available (from memory).
as you say it must depend on the video hardware.
Dave

Re: Vista Advice

You'd be pretty annoyed if you were running SLI cards with 1Gb each... that
is a lot of ram to lose :)
--

Roger Lascelles writes:
However, there is some stupid stuff like Explorer randomly deciding
that a folder holds photos, search for files is broken, the File Save
dialogs get confused. Also the Taskbar has to be Auto-Hide or it
stays on top.
Right click in explorer not selecting the file or folder. That is
killing me. I looked for an option but couldn't find one. Anyone know
where it lives?
--
TJSDialog - TaskDialog for other operating systems:
www.jed-software.com/jsd.htm

Re: Vista Advice

Jonathan Benedicto writes:
No, I am afraid I have been too busy keeping the dust specks off the new
piano-black finish case :-)
I've got a Sonata II case. Shame you have to open the door to turn it
on.