Re: D2005 personal is out...

2005-04-05 03:39:05 PM
delphi104
I bought PC Magazine the other day and just installed D2005. My first
impression: I am a bit disappointed.
It's a German magazine, so I thought I would get a German D2005, but
instead it is a very confusing mixture of English and German. The main
menu is English while some - but not all - menu items have German
captions. IMHO, most of the translations are kinda poor, and one would
be better of sticking to the English terms.
What I really miss though in the Personal Edition is Refactoring. I
hoped I could use D2005 to clean up some of my early quick'n'dirty
programs with a few clicks of the mouse, but I can't. I also can not see
the advantages of the structure view compared to the old object
treeview. In the demos on BDNtv it displayed ErrorInsight mesages, but
here it just stays blank while I am in the editor.
One thing I am really impressed by, though, is the speed. I read some
rumors here before about how one would need like a gig of RAM and the
newest and fastest Pentium 4, but it still runs kind of OK on my four
year old 1 GHz PIII with a mere 256 megs of RAM.
How do the others like it?
Steve

Re: D2005 personal is out...

"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Huw Collingbourne writes:

>Are you in the UK? PC Pro is one of the biggest selling computer mags
>these days - certainly the biggest selling PC-only mag. I am surprised
>you can not track down a copy. it is normally stocked by the
>supermarkets and also by Smiths, Menzies and the like.

hehe yeah I know, but sadly where I live is like living with armish
people. (no offense to any, not that they'd be likely reading)

Finding anything, everything of any use to people like me, is near on
impossible.

I do hope hard though that I can find.
Liz,
The next issue of PC Pro (with the Delphi 2005 DVD) is published in the UK
on 21st April.
You can buy the DVD from the publishers (Dennis Direct) on 01789 490215 at a
cost of GBP2.50. (it says here)
Regards.
Peter.

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Steve Heights schrieb:
I bought PC Magazine the other day and just installed D2005. My first
impression: I am a bit disappointed.

It's a German magazine, so I thought I would get a German D2005, but
instead it is a very confusing mixture of English and German. The main
menu is English while some - but not all - menu items have German
captions. IMHO, most of the translations are kinda poor, and one would
be better of sticking to the English terms.
Ouch. I wished a 100% English Version for Various reasons.
Can you install D2005 Update 2?
One thing I am really impressed by, though, is the speed. I read some
rumors here before about how one would need like a gig of RAM and the
newest and fastest Pentium 4, but it still runs kind of OK on my four
year old 1 GHz PIII with a mere 256 megs of RAM.
Well, that depends. My Delphi 2005 Pro Starts up in less than 10
Seconds. How? Take the Delphi Configuration Manager from [1] and create
a Win32-only Delphi 2005, thus leaving out the whole .net Stuff (and
Refactoring :-|) and voila: Faster Startup than Delphi 7...
So i suppose there is a relation between "Startup time" and "Amount of
.net Stuff"...
[1] www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/dcm.htm

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Liz writes:
Ah.. k... still trying to quite see how Delphi would be a girlfriend,
but I take it you mean in the terms of requires attention and care.
Delphi 2005 is highly temperamental, frequently refuses to function for no
apparent reason, sometimes walks out on you leaving you scratching your head
trying to work out what you did wrong (vanishing IDE), and the higher SKUs suck
up all your money.

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Ouch. I wished a 100% English Version for Various reasons.
Yeah, me too. Actually all previous versions of Delphi I bought are
English. Has a lot of advanatges like earlier updates etc.
Can you install D2005 Update 2?
Well... no. There is no update 2 for the Personal SKU. I tried the
Professional update but that one (of course) refused to install.
Well, that depends. My Delphi 2005 Pro Starts up in less than 10
Seconds. How? Take the Delphi Configuration Manager from [1] and
create
a Win32-only Delphi 2005, thus leaving out the whole .net Stuff (and
Refactoring :-|) and voila: Faster Startup than Delphi 7...
So i suppose there is a relation between "Startup time" and "Amount
of
.net Stuff"...

[1] www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/dcm.htm
That looks like an awesome tool. I just downloaded it and will give it
a try some time later.
Steve

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Steve Heights writes:
Well... no. There is no update 2 for the Personal SKU. I tried the
Professional update but that one (of course) refused to install.
So Borland are showing off an unstable build?

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Maybe the personal version is based on a already-patched build.
That seems to be the case, as the about-box says "Borland Developer
Studio Version 9.0.1761.24408 Update 1".
Steve

Re: D2005 personal is out...

It's a German magazine, so I thought I would get a German D2005, but
instead it is a very confusing mixture of English and German. The
main
menu is English while some - but not all - menu items have German
captions.
Correction: Funny enough, the second time I started D2005 everything
is now in German. Maybe something wasn't yet ready when I started it
right after the installer had finished.
Steve

Re: D2005 personal is out...

--
Leonel

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Steve Heights writes:
That seems to be the case, as the about-box says "Borland Developer
Studio Version 9.0.1761.24408 Update 1".
It is proably missing the changes in upd.2, then.
--
Leonel

Re: D2005 personal is out...

So Borland are showing off an unstable build?
At least mine traps upon exiting with an AV in vcl90.bpl...
--
Ben

Re: D2005 personal is out...

"Steve Heights" <anaconda51(put an AT here)gmx(this is a DOT)net>wrote in
One thing I am really impressed by, though, is the speed. I read some
rumors here before about how one would need like a gig of RAM and the
newest and fastest Pentium 4, but it still runs kind of OK on my four
year old 1 GHz PIII with a mere 256 megs of RAM.
In all of my reading, it seems that most of the speed issues have been
mitigated by disabling a lot of the extra features that Borland threw into
Pro. If Personal doesn't ship with any of those extras, then it is
probably more stable "out-of-the-box" than a mostly-disabled Pro version.
Although it lacks refactoring (an option I would like also), there's nothing
I've heard that is exited me about the rest. I would like to lay my hands on a
copy of PE as well, but that is very unlikely in small-town Canada...
(sigh).
Daniel Bragg

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Peter Goodland writes:
Liz,

The next issue of PC Pro (with the Delphi 2005 DVD) is published in
the UK on 21st April.

You can buy the DVD from the publishers (Dennis Direct) on 01789
490215 at a cost of GBP2.50. (it says here)
Coolie! that sounds like a plan!

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Henry writes:
Delphi 2005 is highly temperamental, frequently refuses to function
for no apparent reason, sometimes walks out on you leaving you
scratching your head trying to work out what you did wrong (vanishing
IDE), and the higher SKUs suck up all your money.
I currently have access to d2005 architect via a friends laptop (which
Im sure he will need back soon) and the personal version is sufficient
for what I do considering Im allowed to distribute its output to
people..
I only do freeware with a "if you're in the mood send me money by
paypal" button on the site, but, no hopes are pinned on it. So, as part
of that, I dont spend much money on it. If I cant get it for next to
nothing, its not likely to happen. I spent enough getting D5.

Re: D2005 personal is out...

Liz writes:
hehe yeah I know, but sadly where I live is like living with
armish people. (no offense to any, not that they'd be likely
reading)
I know, I know, you have troubles typing, and this is a minor typo
anyway, but it strikes me as quite funny, in a "Far Side" kind of
way.
Would aRmish people only read braille? Or perhaps have extra arms?
Or prefer to use abacai instead of calculators?
www.amishphoto.com/ has some nice pictures
-Brion