Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

What is your experience with software that is real cheap?
What about a $10 rebate on a $9.99 purchase, if they send in
the coupon. That is what TaxCut does, if you buy through
Office Depot.
--JohnH

<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
"Ingvar Nilsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>I am about to release a very useful piece of software, a context
>menu editor for the Windows Explorer.
>I first wanted it to be completely free, and use a donate button,
>but reading the posts here, I am not so sure.

There are many other context menu editors.

www.bartdart.com/
www.shareup.com/dadioh/context-menu-editor.html
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9879,00.asp
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,3229,00.asp
www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Context-Menu-Edito
r.shtml
Thanks for this list and thanks for doing research for me! :-)
Several are free.
Unless your software has some killer features, I
cannot seriously see you getting a single cent.
This is one way to think.
Many, including me, prefer software that costs money.
The larger the buyers, the larger sellers they want.
If John Smith has software that outperforms MultiMillionSoft's
products, Shell, GM, Acme Huge & Co will not even let John in the door,
they pay 100 times more for the MultiMillionSoft software.
I buy software almost every week, at least every month. I prefer a
good, obligating relationship with the software maker.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

John Herbster writes:

>What is your experience with software that is real cheap?

What about a $10 rebate on a $9.99 purchase, if they send in
the coupon. That is what TaxCut does, if you buy through
Office Depot.
rofl :-))))))))))))
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

Chris Burrows writes:
Don't be put off competing against something that is free.
Chris, very well said all of it, I have filed your post too.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
There are many other context menu editors.

www.bartdart.com/
www.shareup.com/dadioh/context-menu-editor.html
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9879,00.asp
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,3229,00.asp
www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Context-Menu-Edito
r.shtml
I have looked at these, and none of them does what mine does.
Additionally, mine will come with a Delphi component that allows Delphi
developers to have their apps appear in the context menu.
This is all rather basic, but when it comes to sub menus etc. it gets a
little more complicated.
Unless your software has some killer features, I
cannot seriously see you getting a single cent.
The fact that a product already exists on the market has seldom
prevented new products of the same kind becoming successful.
The only example that currently comes to my mind is Windows, and that
is also not going to last forever.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

"John Herbster" <herb-sci1_AT_sbcglobal.net>writes

>What is your experience with software that is real cheap?

What about a $10 rebate on a $9.99 purchase, if they send in
the coupon. That is what TaxCut does, if you buy through
Office Depot.

Probably works well - I have heard that the typical number of claims for
cashback offers is about 30%.

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

Hello!
"Ingvar Nilsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>There are many other context menu editors.
>
>www.bartdart.com/
>www.shareup.com/dadioh/context-menu-editor.html
>www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9879,00.asp
>www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,3229,00.asp
>www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Context-Menu-Edito
>r.shtml

I have looked at these, and none of them does what mine does.
Additionally, mine will come with a Delphi component that allows Delphi
developers to have their apps appear in the context menu.
www.shellplus.com/shell-extensions-map.html
Regards, Roman

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
BTW, you get the pro version for free :)
(When it is ready, of course <g>)
LOL! Looking forward to it. :-)

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

roman modic writes:
That is something!
When searching for this (and I searched a LOT) I did not come across
this. Looks great - and a very nice web design!
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
I am about to release a very useful piece of software, a context menu
editor for the Windows Explorer.
I first wanted it to be completely free, and use a donate button, but
reading the posts here, I am not so sure.

What is your experience with software that is real cheap? Down to $3 or
something? Yes - i know even $1 software show up on the warez sites,
some do hack it just for the sport of it.

But apart from that, would people pay for software that costs $3? Or $1?
In a company, filing such an invoice would cost more in work time than
$1, so a company license would be appropriate. But for single users?

I tried that with my Postgresql Admin program and I sold a little over
100 copies in 21 days, I was selling for 5 bucks. At first I was using
share-it for the order processing, but their fee is way to high for a
small amount, I was getting 2.80 after their fee, so I switched it to
paypal and they only took out 45 to 50 cents which was MUCH MUCH better.
There is not a ton of interest in Postgresql right now so I could have
done much better with a different application. I also tried to use
digg.com for social advertising, but that did not work good at all.
it's funny though, I sold two copies in February for 29.99 and as soon
as it went to 5 bucks people came out of the woodwork to buy it.
You might do ok if your application is popular.
Later,
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

Jacob Thurman writes:
Oh, and one more thing, it will often cost you more than $1-2 just to
recieve a credit card payment from a customer.
Yes if you use Share-It or similar, I now use PayPal, it is a much better
deal, if you sell for 5 bucks they only take 45 cents for a US customer
and 50 cents for non-US.
I won't be using Share-It or any of the others anymore when I can use
PayPal for much much less per transaction.
At 29.99 I'd end up with 25 dollars with share-it and with paypal I
get over 28.
Later,
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

tony caduto writes:
I won't be using Share-It
Where is the product available for download (except from your own web
site)?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

tony caduto writes:
it's funny though, I sold two copies in February for 29.99 and as
soon as it went to 5 bucks people came out of the woodwork to buy it.
You sold it for 1/6 of the price and the sales figures increased by..6?
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: As opposed to donations, what about a real low price?

First try selling it. You can always release it free later (or adjust the
price). If you release it free to start with you cannot "unrelease" the
source.
As for protection, I wouldn't bother. I found it much more useful to know
the identity of the person leaking it.
In my deAudio components I distributed a DrumRoll.wav and replaced the least
significant bit of each sample so that I could embed the email address of
the person I sent the installer to. One day someone on IRC sent me a
warezed version of my components, I extracted the email address from the wav
file. I discovered that day that I could not trust someone I had known for
about 2 years!
--
Pete
====

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software] writes:
First try selling it. You can always release it free later (or
adjust the price). If you release it free to start with you cannot
"unrelease" the source.
Yes. But one of the purposes of such a product is to generate net
traffic (links) so I think a standard=free/pro=$$ is good too.
As for protection, I wouldn't bother. I found it much more useful to
know the identity of the person leaking it.
I have heard about similar tricks.
In my deAudio components I distributed a DrumRoll.wav and replaced
the least significant bit of each sample so that I could embed the
email address of the person I sent the installer to.
:-)
I discovered that day that I could
not trust someone I had known for about 2 years!
:-(
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com