Re: Australian BDS Pricing

2006-10-03 02:20:44 PM
delphi190
Hello Tim,
thank's for your answer.
Actually there are 13 different web shops in Europe though none in
Switzerland
This is one of my problems. Since Switzerland is not in the EU, it
makes no real difference if I order something from a European country
or if I order it directly from US. If something is shipped, it has to
be declared at the Swiss border and you pay additional taxes anyway.
With regards to resellers, previously with our Borland ALM hats on, we
didn't do a great job of working with our resellers, in a lot of cases
Well, to be honest: For me a reseller is only the company, that ships
your product.
You need to shut down these newsgroups, to make resellers important.
Everything I need to know I find on the internet and/or in these
newsgroups. I see no added value for me by a local reseller. And I
don't need anything.
We want to fix that situation, we want to have a reseller network that
really benefits you, the end user, idealy we want to have resellers
that are knowlegeable about our products and service you really well by
Sorry, but this sounds to much like marketing to justify the much
higher prices in Switzerland / EU compared to US prices.
I mean, right now do US customers get less service than we get in
Europe, because they pay less for the same product?
I found a list for Swiss resellers on the German Borland website:
www.borland.com/de/partners/directory/fachhandel.html
I tried them all:
www.jaeggi.ch/ This site is down
www.bbi.ch/
Just to see the price, I need to register. Not really user friendly
www.net-point.ch/borland
This link is wrong. No Borland products anymore here
www.microware.ch/ This site is down
www.distrelec.com/
Higher price ( 486.-)
www.pc-ware.ch/
Better price, but still higher than in US ( 416.-)
www.roesslitor.ch/
All they offer is Delphi 5 Prof. Update ...
And to be honest, I am sure I can call any of these companies and not
one can answer a simple Delphi question.
The reality today is, we have internet and global markets. And I
expect, that I can buy a product from you to the same conditions as an
US company.
I don't want to be forced to pay extra for added value by a local
reseller (what ever that is).
I'm sure, other companies / programmers have a different view here,
but then they should pay separate for this additional service they
want or need.
cu Christian

Re: Australian BDS Pricing

Christian Kaufmann writes:
Sorry, but this sounds to much like marketing to justify the much
higher prices in Switzerland / EU compared to US prices.
You mis-understand me I think, I am not justifying the prices in
Switzerland at all, I have no idea why you don't have some parity with
the US prices, in my mind you should, and I will ask this question of
the relevant person on your behalf.
I mean, right now do US customers get less service than we get in
Europe, because they pay less for the same product?
I don't want to be forced to pay extra for added value by a local
reseller (what ever that is).
I'm sure, other companies / programmers have a different view here,
but then they should pay separate for this additional service they
want or need.
This is not what happens with our resellers, or perhaps I should say,
this is not what should happen with our resellers, in fact you should
be able to negotiate better prices via a reseller than with us, due to
non compete clauses. We are the ones who cop a lower margin when you by
via a reseller, but for us (and you) it is worth it, because having
resellers lowers the overall cost of making the sale, the more we can
lower the cost of selling the product, the more we can pass that saving
on, I don't pretend for one minute that we are there yet with our
resellers, but this is certainly the aim, as I mentioned before we have
some bridge building to do, and we are doing it.
Right now you cannot see the value that a reseller can give you, and
that probably is the best indication that the resellers in your region
are not doing their job as well as they should be, if you ask some
people in the Australian Delphi User Group, I can gaurantee that there
are many there that would only ever buy via their reseller, because he
does add value, a lot of value and on top of that he is cheaper than us
:-) and no, no names as that would not be fair to other resellers in
his region, we cannot play favourites, even though frankly I like
people to go via him as he totally looks after his custs, and that
reflects really well on us. Maybe some people reading this thread can
tell of their good reseller experiences (and bad too, I suppose)
As I said before, part of our remit, is to cultivate a really good
network of resellers, who inspire confidence and loyalty, they will
only do that if they have great prices, have great knowledge and build
relationships, we want your delphi experience to be personal and
rewarding and that includes the purchase.
Now about your specific problem, lets see if we can sort it out, can
you please send me a mail directly on XXXX@XXXXX.COM, and I
will follow it up for you.
--
Tim Jarvis
Product Evangelist APAC Team Lead (DTG)

Re: Australian BDS Pricing

Hello Tim,
thanks for your explanations. I will contact you directly.
cu Christian

Re: Australian BDS Pricing

Tim Jarvis [Borland/DTG] writes:
I can gaurantee that there
are many there that would only ever buy via their reseller, because he
does add value, a lot of value and on top of that he is cheaper than us
:-) and no, no names as that would not be fair to other resellers in
his region, we cannot play favourites, even though frankly I like
people to go via him as he totally looks after his custs, and that
reflects really well on us. Maybe some people reading this thread can
tell of their good reseller experiences (and bad too, I suppose)
Steve Arena for the win...
www.arena.net.au/
--
Robin.

Re: Australian BDS Pricing

Tim Jarvis [Borland/DTG] writes:
You mis-understand me I think, I am not justifying the prices in
Switzerland at all, I have no idea why you don't have some parity with
the US prices, in my mind you should, and I will ask this question of
the relevant person on your behalf.
Perhaps you could ask the same question for the South African market?
Right now you cannot see the value that a reseller can give you, and
that probably is the best indication that the resellers in your region
are not doing their job as well as they should be, if you ask some
I think most resellers would not even know that BDS is a development
tool.
Cheers
Dean

Re: Australian BDS Pricing

Dean Hill writes:
Perhaps you could ask the same question for the South African market?
Sure, in fact in all markets.
I think most resellers would not even know that BDS is a development
tool.
I agree with your assessment by the way, but you may be relieved to
know that this is a high priority for us to fix, I have spent the last
3 months on the road in Asia working with our distributers and
providing technical training to our resellers, and whilst this will
definitely take some time, its happening.