Re: Email from Sun... Remember one by MS?

2006-08-04 12:57:15 AM
delphi206
msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/borlandtovstudio/default.aspx

Question 3 made me chuckle. MS is basically saying they have no Win32
development platform (only .NET platforms)
-BKN

Bryce K. Nielsen writes:
MS is basically saying they have no Win32 development platform (only
.NET platforms)
And of course they only say this because it is true. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo

Re: Email from Sun... Remember one by MS?

if you look at VS2005 it is "almost" true statement.
it is their intention and goal...

"Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo)" writes:
Bryce K. Nielsen writes:

>MS is basically saying they have no Win32 development platform (only
>.NET platforms)

And of course they only say this because it is true. ;-)
Have you guys forgotten that Microsoft's C++ is widely used to generate
Win32 applications? ;-)

I.P. Nichols writes:
Have you guys forgotten that Microsoft's C++ is widely used to
generate Win32 applications? ;-)
No, but it is not exactly a RAD too on par with Delphi or C++Builder.
And as far as I can tell, it is not the focus of the C++ team.
--

I.P. Nichols writes:

>Have you guys forgotten that Microsoft's C++ is widely used to
>generate Win32 applications? ;-)

No, but it is not exactly a RAD too on par with Delphi or C++Builder.
And as far as I can tell, it is not the focus of the C++ team.
But you actually said, "And of course they only say this because it is true"
Win32 development platform"?
I point this out because I'd truly like to see DevCo prosper and have a
fruitful relationship with Microsoft and am concerned these kinds of
utterances may adversely affect that relationship.

Re: Email from Sun... Remember one by MS?

We should say "none to speak of".
I.P. Nichols writes:
"Nick Hodges (Borland/DevCo)" writes:
>I.P. Nichols writes:
>
>>Have you guys forgotten that Microsoft's C++ is widely used to
>>generate Win32 applications? ;-)
>No, but it is not exactly a RAD too on par with Delphi or C++Builder.
>And as far as I can tell, it is not the focus of the C++ team.

But you actually said, "And of course they only say this because it is true"
Win32 development platform"?

I point this out because I'd truly like to see DevCo prosper and have a
fruitful relationship with Microsoft and am concerned these kinds of
utterances may adversely affect that relationship.

Re: Email from Sun... Remember one by MS?

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <serge [AT] dragonsoftru [DoT] com>wrote in
message news:44d239a9$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
if you look at VS2005 it is "almost" true statement.
it is their intention and goal...

>>msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/borlandtovstudio/default.aspx
>
>Question 3 made me chuckle. MS is basically saying they have no Win32
>development platform (only .NET platforms)
Not at all. C++ remains the core development language at Microsoft. It will
never be abandoned.
Microsoft decided to segment its dev tools: C++ for native code, C#/VB for
.NET.
Yes, I know you can use C++ for .NET as well.
Tim
Tech blog:
www.itwriting.com/blog

Phillip Woon writes:
We should say "none to speak of".
You're making this up, as I know it to be false.
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

Tim Anderson writes:
>>Question 3 made me chuckle. MS is basically saying they have no
>>Win32 development platform (only .NET platforms)

Not at all. C++ remains the core development language at Microsoft.
Tim, just because they claim they have no Win32 platform in their
marketing doesn't mean it is true. :)
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re: Email from Sun... Remember one by MS?

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Phillip Woon writes:

>We should say "none to speak of".

You're making this up, as I know it to be false.

I'm not at all clear on what you are arguing about, Craig.
This looks like the most likely candidates:
>MS is basically saying they have no Win32 development platform (only
>.NET platforms)
And of course they only say this because it is true. ;-)
All Phillip did was to soften it a bit.
What are you saying to be false?
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Tim Anderson writes:

>>>Question 3 made me chuckle. MS is basically saying they have no
>>>Win32 development platform (only .NET platforms)
>Not at all. C++ remains the core development language at Microsoft.

Tim, just because they claim they have no Win32 platform in their
marketing doesn't mean it is true. :)
Maybe by saying "no Win32 development platform" they are /really/ saying
(admitting?) "no Win32 development platform that you'd want to use" :-)

Brad White writes:
I'm not at all clear on what you are arguing about, Craig.
His quoting was a bit odd, but I presumed he was replying to the
material he quoted, of which you quoted only the first bit. I was
probably a little over-strident about an unclear message.

lurkio writes:
Maybe by saying "no Win32 development platform" they are really saying
(admitting?) "no Win32 development platform that you'd want to use"
:-)
LOL --