Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:46:59 +0100, Florian Klaempfl
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
and no, statements like

if (not(tobjectdef(left.resulttype.def).is_related(
tobjectdef(tclassrefdef(right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def)))) and
(not(tobjectdef(tclassrefdef(
right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def).is_related(
tobjectdef(left.resulttype.def)))) then
CGMessage2(type_e_classes_not_related,
FullTypeName(left.resulttype.def,
tclassrefdef(right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def),
FullTypeName(tclassrefdef(right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def,
left.resulttype.def));

can't be simplified usually ;)
Of course it can be simplified (at least for the reader of the code):
if ClassesNotRelated(left, right) then
CGMessageClassesNotRelated(left, right);
Premature 'optimizations' will decrease the readability of *any* code.
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

"John Jacobson" <jake@j[nospam]snewsreader.com>writes
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, reports of D2006's solidity have me chomping
at
the bit. Don't know if I can wait until March (I will almost certainly
still be
here in the Milwaukee area then) just to save around $100.

What?
I thought you said that you put in your order
instead of going for the laptop.
Did you go ahead with the laptop after all? 8:-)
--
Brad.

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

"Dave Keighan" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I just got a copy a couple of days ago (B-Day), not far along in it yet
but I am enjoying it immensely.
This is the same deal I got ... anyone interested? $30 CDN is a pretty good
price!
www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/0201461366/used/702-0821844-0424832
Sure, I will take it. Thanks for the heads up.
--
Brad.

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

Brad White,
Just got the e-mail confirmation from Amazon.
Thanks again.
NP, enjoy. When I bought at this price I would thought someone had made a mistake - I went to the A1Books site and couldn't find it at that price there. It was interesting to see it on amazon.ca yesterday at that price again. FYI: the copy I got is indeed in excellent condition, CD pocket on the back cover was still sealed and has yet to be opened.
--
Dave Keighan
XanaNewser [ 1.17.6.6]

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

"Don Strenczewilk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"Dan Barclay" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>In a previous life I worked at a Large Chemical Company. ...
>Sez he... "put your hand in a bucket of water. Now pull it out and look
>at the hole you leave. Might be a small ripple or two, but the hole
>fills pretty quick."

I thought you were going to say, "When I pulled it out, only bone
remained. That bastard put acid in there!"
LOL. Nope, the old phart was a great guy and we became good friends before
this. Otherwise he'd have said "gitcherassouttahere". Old guy, little
formal schooling, as smart a man as you'd ever run into anywhere.
If you keep your ears open, sometimes you learn a thing or two even when
you're young and already know everything.
Dan

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

"Brad White" <bwhite at inebraska.com>writes
>This is the same deal I got ... anyone interested? $30 CDN is a pretty
>good price!
>www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/0201461366/used/702-0821844-0424832

Sure, I will take it. Thanks for the heads up.

Just got the e-mail confirmation from Amazon.
Thanks again.
--
Brad.

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

I agree that it is pretty shocking news. I know I was floored when I
heard. FTR, I didn't actually throw up. I don't even know how that
rumour got started.
Still, I just can not share your negative view on this. First and
foremost, this a good thing for Danny, and that takes a lot of the
sting out of it. Your speculation is a little off base, too, but there
isn't much sense going in to it here. I suspect you were speaking out
of frustration. I hope Danny stops by to comment.
Borland is definitely better off with Danny than without him, but it
isn't a disaster. IMO, Borland has always had the upper hand on the
technical side of things, and I don't see this changing. Allen is no
slouch (don't tell him I said so, though) and neither are the rest of
the R&D team. And they're hiring. Care to throw your resume in to the
ring?
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

Simon Kissel writes:
[...]
And this I highly doubt. Firefox is cross-platform. Borland has
dropped all cross-platform work. Firefox-plugins that only run under
32Bit-Windows? Nobody would want that.
[...]
I'm still looking forward to hearing him speak on the subject. YMMV.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Mike Williams (TeamB) writes:
>Oh, come on, why do you have to bring up facts?

I just like playing with Google Earth ...
LOL- now we're back to non-tech ground. :-)

Dan Barclay writes:
Sez he... "put your hand in a bucket of water. Now pull it out and
look at the hole you leave. Might be a small ripple or two, but the
hole fills pretty quick."
LOL. Just what I would expect from an old salt.
BTW, I thought you were off 'till Jan from your mail-bot. Couldn't
stand being away<g>?
I'm not off. Just even busier than usual, with lots of travel.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

The gcc people even recommmend that you start with simplifing gcc
if expressions to get into gcc :)
Well, this could be one of the reason why gcc has had trouble keeping up
and improving their codegen in the last decade...
I remember in the days of DOS and djgpp that it would stand up well to
other C++ compilers, but nowadays GCC seems to be the favourite C++
compiler Java benchmarkers use to demonstrate Java JITters can optimize
more than native compilers.
Eric

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

Dave White writes:
Not to diminish Danny's work in any way, but he was one person in a team.
Maybe he was the lead person, but he's not the only one who can write
compilers. And sometimes, fresh {*word*76} can inject new life and new ideas
into a project. Just look at how long it is been since there were any
optimizations for later processors, and the floating point code is antique.
True, but let's just think about what the compiler team has actually
done during the last few years. They've produced two entirely new
targets (among other things):
* .NET
* Linux
A _LOT_ of effort is needed to do both of these. Do you really think
that optimizations for later processors and floating point code would
take precedence over these major projects?
I'm not saying that fresh {*word*76} will bring these changes but I
personally believe that Borland went in the right direction
strategically for Delphi (and probably wouldn't have done it differently
had someone else been in Danny's place). Kylix wasn't marketed or
targetted right and wasn't given the long-term commitment it needed, but
that's a side issue. Kylix gave a lot of people more incentive to
switch to Delphi- even though it may not have been used that much
itself. Cross-platform gave Borland an edge over Microsoft (and still
does).
I guess what you're really talking about is focussing more on what the
users think they need than the future growth. That isn't always a good
idea for a development tool that you want to grow (as opposed to being
stuck in the past and just supporting legacy development).
Personally, I have never run into the need for such tight optimizations.
I guess I am not writing anti-virus products etc. However, I have found
that Delphi delivers quite well on performance anyway. It may not be
100% comparable to some C++ compilers but it is _WAY_ more productive
and compilation time has been more important to me.
I'm as sorry (and shocked) as anyone to see Danny go, but this doesn't mean
the end of the Delphi compiler - and it may even lead to new things.
Point taken (even though I played devil's advocate above). I am looking
forward to Highlander and beyond. :-) Actually, I am looking forward to
DeXter the most- WHEN IS MY ORDER GOING TO SHIP! *GRIN*
Cheers,
Kevin.

<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>and no, statements like
>
>if (not(tobjectdef(left.resulttype.def).is_related(
>tobjectdef(tclassrefdef(right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def)))) and
>(not(tobjectdef(tclassrefdef(
>right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def).is_related(
>tobjectdef(left.resulttype.def)))) then
>CGMessage2(type_e_classes_not_related,
>FullTypeName(left.resulttype.def,
>tclassrefdef(right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def),
>FullTypeName(tclassrefdef(right.resulttype.def).pointertype.def,
>left.resulttype.def));
>
>can't be simplified usually ;)

Of course it can be simplified (at least for the reader of the code):

if ClassesNotRelated(left, right) then
CGMessageClassesNotRelated(left, right);

Premature 'optimizations' will decrease the readability of *any* code.

You move the code only to a separate function then, the same code is
nowhere else used. Instead of a new function, a short comment is better.

Eric Grange writes:
>The gcc people even recommmend that you start with simplifing gcc

>if expressions to get into gcc :)

Well, this could be one of the reason why gcc has had trouble keeping up
and improving their codegen in the last decade...

I remember in the days of DOS and djgpp that it would stand up well to
other C++ compilers, but nowadays GCC seems to be the favourite C++
compiler Java benchmarkers use to demonstrate Java JITters can optimize
more than native compilers.
To compete with optimized JIT in benchmark cases, you need profiler
feedback for the compiler.

Re: Danny Thrope has left Borland?

Deborah Pate (TeamB) writes:
<<Jon Robertson:
I always did think tasks like archiving files were meant
for command line and batch files only...

Urgh! -gn -ug -aiiee
LOL!
LP,
Dejan