Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

2005-10-26 05:51:05 AM
delphi60
Hi all,
After listening to the 24hrs (Thx guys and gals!) and reading posts
here, I have noticed a trend in the last few months.
The general feel of the user groups has changed. We have gotten lots of
the things we were asking/begging/complaining about. I am not saying we
have everything, or that we caused it, but lets take a look at what we
now have.
a) GIVE US A ROAD MAP! - We now have one. For some years too.
b) Give us 64 bit Native - Ok, see road map and ye shall receive.
c) Give us .NET - Tada!
d) Can we have .NET 2? - Yep, see road map. In fact they have mentioned
(iirc)that they already have it working but are waiting for a real
release so it can be done right.
e) Continue W32 support and enhance - Ok.
f) Make BDS faster - Patches (inc 4) and Dexter.
g) Make BDS more stable - Patches (inc 4) and Dexter.
h) Update BCB to match Delphi's features (VCL, IDE etc enhancements) -
Dexter.
i) Compact Framework - Thanks Jed! Also, see road map.
j) Increase customer confidence - See Road map and 24hr Events.
k) Tell people (customers and prospective) that Delphi is alive - see
recent articals.
l) Aim at small and large businesses - As above.
m) VCL to work in .NET, W32 and W64.
n) Help Files - Dexter.
The list could go on. I am sure someone can debate the some or all of
these points, but all seems very encouraging to me. Lets not even go
into how cool ECO seems.
Borland keep their cards close to their chests. But we must remember
that just because they are not talking publicly about something does not
mean they are not talking about (or even working on) internally.
Thanks Borland and everyone who pushes this fantastic product.
--
Robin.
<disclaimer>Not an expert </disclaimer>

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Robin <Robin@.com>writes
<435ea81b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
Lets not even go
into how cool ECO seems.
As a Win32 developer (so far), I find myself
really wishing ECO would find
it's way into the Win32 personality of BDS Pro. But as a realist I know that this would
probably deflate sales of architect and enterprise versions enough to offset any added Pro sales ( in total dollar terms), so the economist in me tells me never to expect
this, at least until something even more compelling appears in the architect/enterprise realm to take it's
place.
On the optimistic side, it seems like it is
not unlike the way automotive features
appear first in high-end luxury sedans, but
usually make their way into lower-end
vehicles over time.
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 1.0.4.1278

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Yes, seems they are doing good now for Delphi (or at least, publicly doing
good)...
The could only do something for the four paying customers of kylix out
there... at least do a little refresh of compiler and other closed-source
parts (dbexpress drivers and midas.dll) and open-source (or release to
volunteer support in some other way) the CLX.
Forget the ide, CrossKylix does its job in a very nice way.
Yes they have a lot of things to do, but it is 95% of legal dept effort, and
maybe after release of D2006 they could find some time to roll this out.

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message
<435eabe9$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>

As a Win32 developer (so far), I find
myself
really wishing ECO would find

it's way into the Win32 personality of BDS Pro. But as a realist I know that this would
probably deflate sales of architect and enterprise versions enough to offset any added Pro sales ( in total dollar terms), so the economist in me tells me never to
expect
this, at least until something even more compelling appears in the architect/enterprise realm to take it's
place.
Weird. I switched to the WrapText function
in SysUtils and ended up with that
monstrosity above. Anyone else encounter
anything like this?
Man, it would be really nice to have that
algorithms newsgroup right now!
--

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
As a Win32 developer (so far), I find myself
really wishing ECO would find
it's way into the Win32 personality of BDS Pro.
You might investgate the Bold for Delphi 2005 source code download. No
one has ever confirmed (or denied) whether it worked on the Pro SKU...
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

John Jacobson aka Captain Jake writes:
As a Win32 developer (so far), I find myself
really wishing ECO would find
it's way into the Win32 personality of BDS Pro
Perhaps you could use this as an excuse to dip your toes into the .NET
pond. I can not say I am a big fan of the WinForms framework, but ECO
makes it tolerable. This is why I am really looking forward to the ECO
VCL.NET support promised in Highlander, and why I have been taking the
time to investigate how I can use ECO and VCL.NET together in D2005.
It may require a bit more code than using WinForms, but I find it still
provides me with great productivity enhancements over the more
traditional TDataset based VCL.NET DB development. I may have to still
write code to hook up my presentation layer to my business objects, but
gone are the days when I need to write oodles of code to populate my BO
layer from the persistence mechanism.
Besides, there's been a trend in my VCL Win32 apps to populate the GUI
manually anyway, with databound controls seldom used (usually to bind
to an in-memory dataset). And if you absolutely, positively *must* use
databound controls, there's always the TListConnector control.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

message news:435eabe9$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Robin <Robin@.com>writes
<435ea81b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>Lets not even go
>into how cool ECO seems.

As a Win32 developer (so far), I find myself
really wishing ECO would find
it's way into the Win32 personality of BDS Pro. But as a realist I know
that this would
probably deflate sales of architect and enterprise versions enough to
offset any added Pro sales ( in total dollar terms), so the economist in me
tells me never to expect
this, at least until something even more compelling appears in the
architect/enterprise realm to take it's
place.

I'm not quite following. Isn't a large part of Eco going to be available in
D2006 Pro? Yes, it will be .NET only, but then again it is .NET only in
Enterprise and Architect versions, too. So they're putting Eco for .NET in
all versions, with somewhat more functionality in the higher versions. If
there were such a beast as Eco for Win32 I assume they'd do the same with
that. Am I missing something?
-- Herb Sitz

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Yep, pretty good job. The only thing missing for me is Unicode on Win32.
--Rob.

Andrea Raimondi writes:
Brion L. Webster writes:
>You might investgate the Bold for Delphi 2005 source code download.
>No one has ever confirmed (or denied) whether it worked on the Pro
>SKU...

I can deny it :-)

I got it installed into Enterprise though. It probably worked, but
after starting a project the learning curve seemed steep enough to
intimidate me pretty soon. Next project on that front: check out
ECO on DeXter.
--
ilkka hyvärinen

Robin writes:
[...]

Give us a version of Delphi 2005 that works, not force us to buy Delphi
2006 to get bugs fixed!
Whoops! Did I miss something? Did that get left off your list?
--
Pete Goodwin
Cheesed off Kylix, C++ Builder V6 and Delphi 2005 owner

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Lets not even go
into how cool ECO seems.
ECO makes THE difference, in the .NET area, compared to the competition.
Especially now that it is available in all SKU's.
Go Delphi!

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Weird. I switched to the WrapText function
in SysUtils and ended up with that
monstrosity above. Anyone else encounter
anything like this?
IIRC, I found that it was useless. I wrote my own.
/Matthew Jones/

"Pete Goodwin" writes <news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
Give us a version of Delphi 2005 that works, not force us to buy Delphi
2006 to get bugs fixed!
Pete, just can second this - however I still use Delphi 7 and will never buy
D2005 or even D2006 in the near and far future.
--
cu,
Michael

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

XXXX@XXXXX.COM writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
IIRC, I found that it was useless. I wrote my own.
Indeed. I decided in the end to simply fix and use the one I had already
written on my own.
--
Everything in this post is mere opinion.
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 1.0.4.1316

Re:Has Borland surpassed our expectations?

Michael Fritz writes:
"Pete Goodwin" writes

>Give us a version of Delphi 2005 that works, not force us to buy
>Delphi 2006 to get bugs fixed!
Pete, just can second this - however I still use Delphi 7 and will never buy
D2005 or even D2006 in the near and far future.
I'm still using Delphi 7 (D5 at work, rarely). I have bought D2005 but I rarely
use it, too buggy. I will try the trial version if and when it appears,
then I will decided if I want to go for Delphi 2006. Guess I will miss the
15% discount.