Updated QC reports for Delphi 2005 Update 2

blogs.borland.com/johnk/archive/2005/04/27/4074.aspx
Additional reports on bugs fixed in Delphi 2005 Update 2 are now in
QualityCentral
I've pushed some of the Delphi 2005 Update 2 bug reports from Borland's
internal tracking system to QualityCentral, so everyone can see what
the bugs were. There are currently 32 new closed bugs published. These
a new bug reports to QualityCentral, not updates for existing QC bug
reports that were linked to internal reports.
You can always see the current list of bugs marked as fixed in Delphi
2005 Update 2 by using the QualityCentral web client search page with
the following URL:
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx There
are currently 95 reports matching the search conditions. We will
continue to review, clean up, and post the other 100+ bugs fixed in
update 2, so you can re-use the URL above to always get the current
list.
If you have questions or comments about QualityCentral, please post
them to the QualityCentral newsgroup. For Delphi-related comments,
please post them to this newsgroup. Thanks.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:Updated QC reports for Delphi 2005 Update 2

Additional reports on bugs fixed in Delphi 2005 Update 2 are now in
QualityCentral

I've pushed some of the Delphi 2005 Update 2 bug reports from Borland's
internal tracking system to QualityCentral, so everyone can see what
the bugs were. There are currently 32 new closed bugs published. These
a new bug reports to QualityCentral, not updates for existing QC bug
reports that were linked to internal reports.
Wow, the list of bugs fixed in update 2 is released even before update 3
(expected shortly) arrives!
If it takes so long to get a list of fixed bugs out, I hate to think how
long it is going to take for foreign language versions of update 2 to come
out.
Don't get me wrong, thanks for your efforts, but it really sounds very much
in the 'too little too late' category . . .
Lauchlan M

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
These
a new bug reports to QualityCentral, not updates for existing QC bug
reports that were linked to internal reports.
First time that internal bugs reports get published on QC, right? Great
initiative.
It's a shame that they don't have titles, though. <g>
--
Leonel

Lauchlan M writes:
Don't get me wrong, thanks for your efforts, but it really sounds
very much in the 'too little too late' category . . .
If I believed it was too little too late I wouldn't have bothered.
Other people will strongly disagree with you about the utility of these
bug reports. I guess I am posting for them, not you ;)
--

Leonel writes:
First time that internal bugs reports get published on QC, right?
Right.
Great initiative.
A good step in the right direction.
It's a shame that they don't have titles, though. <g>
Yup, but pulling the first sentence/line from the long description
seemed too arbitrary. The internal system doesn't have a short
description.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Updated QC reports for Delphi 2005 Update 2

>Don't get me wrong, thanks for your efforts, but it really sounds
>very much in the 'too little too late' category . . .

If I believed it was too little too late I wouldn't have bothered.
Other people will strongly disagree with you about the utility of these
bug reports. I guess I am posting for them, not you ;)
I guess. As I said, no doubt they're appreciated anyway. I feel sure however
that they would have been even more appreciated a couple of months ago.
It's hardly even worth entering into the speculation game of why it took so
long, but what the heck, I am going to guess 'lack of resources'; and ask if
perhaps Borland could put some more resources on? Maybe then your foreign
customers would get an update as well, instead of learning about what has
been fixed for everyone else. <g>
Lauchlan M

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
If you have questions or comments about QualityCentral, please post
them to the QualityCentral newsgroup. For Delphi-related comments,
please post them to this newsgroup. Thanks.
I uploaded a couple of Screenshots to the attachments group showing the
Delphi project has 2 version numbers representing Delphi 2005. One is
2005 and the other is 9.0 - This will result in incorrect search
results in QualityCentral.
I've posted to both to be sure :-)
--
www.jed-software.com

Re:Updated QC reports for Delphi 2005 Update 2

On 27 Apr 2005 17:47:33 -0700, "John Kaster (Borland)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Yup, but pulling the first sentence/line from the long description
seemed too arbitrary. The internal system doesn't have a short
description.
Why don't you simply code an linguistic module to create a summary of
the description, ala automatic abstract generation?
;)
- Asbjørn

Lauchlan M writes:
Don't get me wrong, thanks for your efforts, but it really sounds
very much in the 'too little too late' category . . .
You appear to me to be saying "Unless it is reported in QC as fixed,
then it isn't really fixed".
In other words, while I agree that it would be nice to have the
information right away, better late than never is okay with me.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Updated QC reports for Delphi 2005 Update 2

In other words, while I agree that it would be nice to have the
information right away, better late than never is okay with me.
Well, that is another way of putting it, and I can agree with that as well.
However, I think there is something quite clearly wrong about the
information about what bugs are fixed in patch 2 being made available a
couple of months late, and just before the release of patch 3.
'too little too late' was I guess a poor way of expressing it, what I meant
was that had sort of missed its moment. It would be nice to be a little less
tardy about the release of this kind of information and the
internationalisation of the patches. Something seems IMO to be askew in the
Delphi release management process.
Lauchlan M

Lord Crc writes:
Why don't you simply code an linguistic module to create a summary of
the description, ala automatic abstract generation?
Other things to do, I suppose.
--

Lauchlan M writes:
I guess. As I said, no doubt they're appreciated anyway. I feel sure
however that they would have been even more appreciated a couple of
months ago.
Update 2 was released March 9, 2005.
It's hardly even worth entering into the speculation game
You're right. it is not worth it.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:Updated QC reports for Delphi 2005 Update 2

>I guess. As I said, no doubt they're appreciated anyway. I feel sure
>however that they would have been even more appreciated a couple of
>months ago.

Update 2 was released March 9, 2005.
That's what I thought, around 2 months ago.
>It's hardly even worth entering into the speculation game

You're right. it is not worth it.
Probably. But it would be nice to see the internal problems fixed, whatever
they happen to be.
Lauchlan M

JED writes:
One is 2005 and the other is 9.0 - This will result in incorrect
search results in QualityCentral.
Agreed this is a data problem, but incorrect search results for what?
For the bug fixes I talked about, all you need is the resolved in build
#.
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
but incorrect search results for what?
A search on Project by Version. Not for the fixes - just used that as a
vehicle to raise the issue again :-)
--
www.jed-software.com