Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

2004-12-11 06:08:49 PM
delphi276
"David Farrell-Garcia" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Alan Garny writes:
>I then went onto installing D2005 Pro itself. I thought I would
>install it from my hard disk copy, as this would be faster. I
>therefore started "Install.exe", but after asking for Delphi to be
>installed, I was told that "2005\Install\Prereqs.exe" couldn't be
>found! What a start! Ok, no worries, I found "Prereqs.exe" in
>"Install", so I just created a new folder called "2005\Install" and
>copied "Prereqs.exe" there and it went ahead. Still!
You make it sound as if there is some defect in D2005 that caused that.
You did not copy all the files over to your hard drive so it could not
find them.
Wrong, I did copy ALL the files to my hard drive. A simple properties check
of my folder could confirm that. Not to mention that I said I could find the
"Prereqs.exe" file under "Install", so all I had to do was to move it to
"2005\Install" and it all worked fine. How could have I installed D2005 in
the first place (and more importantly, from my hard drive), if I hadn't
copied everything, keeping in my mind that I installed everything?
>Since it was the first time I installed D2005, I thought I wouldn't
>bother and install everything (even so I am only interested in the
>Win32 part, so I may, at some point, follow Alvaro's instructions and
>remove all the "{*word*99}"... :). Still, I installed everything in
>something like 30 mins, I believe.
Why did you puchase D2005 if you were going to consider doing that.?
Doh?! There are *lots* of people here who couldn't care less about .NET. All
they (we) want is to be up to date with the new technologies. I for one very
much code folding, refactory, the for..in statement, the inline statement,
to name but a few. Ok, no point in arguing this, you are obviously
completely out of line here. Just read some of the messages that have posted
on this forum in the last few months as to why Win32-only people are
interested in D2005.
>Then, I thought I'd take Borland's (and some of TeamB members)
>word to the letter and convert my Delphi 7 project to D2005. Well, I have
>already spent a few hours and I am still not done! :( So much for
>easy migration!...
>
>First, I had to reinstall the components and libraries I use. One of
>the libraries is DeCAL (sourceforge.net/projects/decal/). I
>first had to account for the new version of Delphi, i.e. "{$IFDEF
>VER170}...".

I doubt that any Team B member suggested that you would have no
problems installing 3rd party components that were not already
configured for D2005. How does that differ from any version of Delphi?
Again, reread some of the messages posted in this forum. Some TeamB members
have said that it was straightforward. And then, some other members of this
forum replied that it was not for some projects. That would include mine,
apparently.
>Thank god, my personal components didn't require any modification
>whatsoever. What does it mean? :P :)
uhhh, that you did not doing anything too complex?
Whatever.
>So, at this stage, I have recompiled all the components/libraries I
>use. Great!
Congratulations!
Completely useless reply from you. Thanks for nothing.
Alan.
PS: yes, I am bitter. I just woke up after having spent, yesterday, an awful
amount of time trying to convert my project to D2005 and still having issues
with it. Yet, all that seems to interest people here is my comment on
Borland that should have shipped D2005 on a DVD rather than CDs. No problem.
It just proves me (should that be necessary) that there are indeed genuine
problems with D2005 and that one shouldn't play with it until a service pack
(or maybe even two) has been released.

Alan Garny writes:
PS: yes, I am bitter. I just woke up after having spent, yesterday,
an awful amount of time trying to convert my project to D2005 and
still having issues with it.
You mentioned potentially returning it elsewhere in this thread--
perhaps you should see what the return policy is before returning it
(e.g. - is it 90 days, 30 days, or what?). Then wait for an update up
until a few days short of the return limit-- if the update either a)
doesn't fix the issues you're having troubles with or b) doesn't
materialize, return it.
But my experience with Delphi 2005 has been overall very good-- I've
ran into some really bad bugs with the IDE crashing and burning, but
most of my projects have converted over without a hitch (caveat here is
that I don't use a lot of 3rd party controls/widgets). What few 3rd
party controls I do use compiled fine once I would updated the version
detection code.
So just give Borland a few weeks to put out an update before throwing
in the towel. Very little in the way of help for now I know, but no
sense returning it only to buy it again once the first patch is
released just to test it out (and then maybe still be disappointed and
be stuck returning it *again*).
Either way, good luck.
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

30GB one? I think you mean BD-ROM (BluRay Disc - Read Only Memory).
yeah, as now Disney selected it too.
Last vote left - XX Century.

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Jim Rowell writes:

>Every developer and serious user that I know has one.
>Pretty much every new machine sold now has one don't they?

I don't think what is selling on new machines should be the arbiter of
what medium Delphi should be sold on.

Once again: Shipping Delphi on a DVD would put out a whole lot of
customers.

I agree. I do think we're reaching the point where they have to consider
offering both or switching but not yet.
I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find an independent or small shop that
wouldn't prefer dvd but a lot of the corporate groups probably are still not
equipped for it. Maybe in a couple of years when more of the older machines
have been replaced (esp since .net will encourage newer hardware).
Jim Rowell

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

... That'll go over like a ... in church. ...
Nick, Just a reminder:
Crude language has no place here!
Regards, JohnH

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Once again: Shipping Delphi on a DVD would put out
a whole lot of customers.
As somebody else in this thread mentioned:
This does not have to be an either/or situation.
--JohnH

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Chris Burrows writes:

>You can buy a DVD drive for about $US50 these days.

"Buy Delphi 2005! (oh, btw, you need a $50 DVD drive to make it
work)."

That'll go over like a fart in church.
FART THREAD!
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"I don't feel good."

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
I wonder what percentage of machines have DVD drives in them. I
suspect that it is very low.
In my household, there are 6 PCs. All, but one, have DVD drives.
I hope that those of us responding will not be lumped in the 'newsgroup
users are not representative' category because our responses fly in the
face of your thoughts on the matter.
--
Derek Davidson
www.ebsms.com

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Providing both CD and DVD media would very nearly double our cost of
goods on the product.
Really? Are you sure? One DVD would replace 4 CDs (for the D2005 Pro
version).
I've looked at costs accruing to mass production of CDs and DVDs.
We're talking cents here.
--
Derek Davidson
www.ebsms.com
Send SMS Text messages from your PC. For FREE!

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
I see a lot of customers when I do training ...
Me too. And very, very few of them do *NOT* have DVDs.
Of course, this may just be an indication of the level of people we
teach! :-) But, I doubt it.
--

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Once again: Shipping Delphi on a DVD would put out a whole lot of
customers.
Possibly, but I don't see anybody recommending that course of action.
The information in here seems clear to me: Almost everyone has a DVD
drive and offering Delphi on DVD as an option, would be one that most
would take up.
As another comparison, the UK publication PC Plus Magazine comes with
free software. it is either 3 CDs or a single DVDs. At the end of the
month, it is *always* the ones with CDs that are left, the DVD versions
having been sold already.
From this it seems reasonable to deduce that the cost of producing on
DVD is little different from the cost of 3 CDs and that DVDs are more
popular than CDs.
--
Derek Davidson
www.ebsms.com
Send SMS Text messages from your PC. For FREE!

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Correction:

Shipping Delphi only on a DVD would put out a whole lot of customers.
Double Correction:
Shipping Delphi only on a DVD *might* put out *some* customers.
--

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
But my experience with Delphi 2005 has been overall very good--
Yes - me too. There are things that are annoying but I am holding out
for the patch fixing those.
That said, I am one of those that won't buy a release version again
(unless Borland introduces public betas when I will have the chance to
test it first).
I'll wait for the patched version and see how that settles.
--
Derek Davidson
www.ebsms.com
Send SMS Text messages from your PC. For FREE!

Re: Delphi 2005 Pro - Converting a Delphi 7 Project to it... (long!)

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
No, of course it is not. Sadly you appear to have memory problems and
are having a hard time remembering what you yourself have said. Or
perhaps a doppleganger is posting as you in the ng's-- if so, I would look
in to having that fake Nick banned.
Whoo hooo! it is time to play "Let's Review the Thread!!!"
You said, and I quote:
"Agreed, which is why I am glad nobody has suggested Borland only
release Delphi on DVD-ROM (well, except Nick)."
Rational, logical thought deduces that you asserted "Nick suggested
Borlannd /only/ release Delphi of DVD-ROM"
Now, I suggested no such thing. In fact, I have suggested the exact
opposite. I have suggested that Borland /not/ release Delphi on a DVD.
So, there you have it, Will: you asserted something 180 from what I
/in fact/ suggested.
Thanks for playing "Let's Review the Thread!".
Tune in next for "Will Tries to Justify Himself"!
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Jim Rowell writes:
I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find an independent or small shop
that wouldn't prefer dvd but a lot of the corporate groups probably
are still not equipped for it.
Most of the folks here are small shop or independents, so I am not
surprised the majority wants a DVD install.