Re: Proof-of-receipt faxing?

2003-08-02 04:57:33 AM
delphi199
A client needs to fax where there is proof of receipt, not just proof that the
fax-modem dialed, not just proof that some fax to the number completed
successfully:

They need proof that a particular fax was sent and received.
Good question, but I wonder if it possible with current hardware.
1. Say the Fax was sent to fax modem that stored the document
and then the machine crashed before it was printed.
2. Say that Fax was sent to a fax machine and it was out of paper so
it was stored in memory and the machine was powered off.
Robert Love

Re: Proof-of-receipt faxing?

Send an extra page. If the extra page goes through there is 90%
chance that the previous one was delivered fine. I am not aware
of any 100% way to be certain with regular fax machines.

Re: Proof-of-receipt faxing?

"Richard Grossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
A client needs to fax where there is proof of receipt, not just proof that
the
fax-modem dialed, not just proof that some fax to the number completed
successfully:

They need proof that a particular fax was sent and received.

Sure even this kind of proof could be faked, but in this industry, they
are
dealing with trusted partners, so they just need fairly reasonable
evidence
that a particular document was sent and received, and they need to be able
provide that evidence to the other party easily.

I'm not terribly experienced here, what about using a computer on the
receiver's end, detect the fax, pass it through an OCR, and do some basic
validation that the receipt is something expected?
That would, of course, mean you'd have access to all potential recipients of
the fax. Oh well.
Sterling

Re: Proof-of-receipt faxing?

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:57:33 -0600, Robert Love
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>A client needs to fax where there is proof of receipt, not just proof that the
>fax-modem dialed, not just proof that some fax to the number completed
>successfully:
>
>They need proof that a particular fax was sent and received.

Good question, but I wonder if it possible with current hardware.
1. Say the Fax was sent to fax modem that stored the document
and then the machine crashed before it was printed.
2. Say that Fax was sent to a fax machine and it was out of paper so
it was stored in memory and the machine was powered off.
Agreed--the task looks impossible. Your hardware can
truthfully claim it was successfully faxed but the receiving machine
isn't obligated to print it before confirming that it got it. Thus
anything that takes out the receiver loses it.

Re: Proof-of-receipt faxing?

"Richard Grossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
A client needs to fax where there is proof of receipt, not just proof that
the
fax-modem dialed, not just proof that some fax to the number completed
successfully:
I've been in this situation. We had the other party sign the fax and send
it back to us. it is not a technological solution, but it is one that'll
generally stand up in court.